AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton 🥈

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you've got it or you don't. He doesn't need to do it as much on a wing. There were definitely times I thought "There's Langford not going in". Fan of his overhead marking though, there was some similarity with Peter Cransberg this year that got me on the wagon.

Just typing as much.
The thing is he is one of the few who keep structure around the ball. You shouldn’t have everyone going in and sometimes it feels like he’s hesitant more as he’s learning when to go. I know it comes across that way but I still don’t think the hesitation is a softness, more because he’s not a natural midfielder and he’s learning when to go and when not to. He’s worried about not giving up the outside. But he’s getting better and hope that continues.

The thing is he is one of the few who keep structure around the ball. You shouldn’t have everyone going in and sometimes it feels like he’s hesitant more as he’s learning when to go. I know it comes across that way but I still don’t think the hesitation is a softness, more because he’s not a natural midfielder and he’s learning when to go and when not to. He’s worried about not giving up the outside. But he’s getting better and hope that continues.
He probably overthinks it you're right. I hope he gets it, because the players who stand up in finals play on instinct.

Another thing about Kyle is he'd be the first player I'd pick to deliver a pass inside 50.

He probably overthinks it you're right. I hope he gets it, because the players who stand up in finals play on instinct.

Another thing about Kyle is he'd be the first player I'd pick to deliver a pass inside 50.
if we had two of him, we could pick himself out with the pass, and we'd have our best shot on goal with the ball in hand :p

He definitely overthinks it. We have too many players who see ball get ball and he's one of our few who try to provide better protection around the stoppage outlets. Sometimes that means when it's his turn to go he hesitates knowing if he goes no one else is protecting the outside.

When he gets it you can see that he desperately wants to make an impact with every possession. In well structured and coached teams players can rely on where players will be when they need to get rid of it quickly and even blindly. Instinct in part comes from knowing that you can rely on that. When he gets it half the time in our shitshow no one is where they're meant to be. Not that he's perfect, but I appreciate he thinks and cares about it. In part I never want that taught out of him, I want the team and structure improved around him so when he looks up there are clear options that favour us.

I seriously don't believe he's soft however, but certainly agree it looks that way sometimes.

I think you've got it or you don't. He doesn't need to do it as much on a wing. There were definitely times I thought "There's Langford not going in". Fan of his overhead marking though, there was some similarity with Peter Cransberg this year that got me on the wagon.

Just typing as much.
I loved Peter Cransberg.

What are they, these pass things you talk about.

Kyle may have had a great year, but he's still a bit of a timid footballer.
It wasn't long ago this kid was getting dropped every second week - while others who were providing no output were getting gifted games.

Only this year has he looked comfortable in showing some individuality in his game which, to me, was greatly improved.

I get your sentiment, but if you look at the big picture, he is still devloping as a player.

I've been far from his biggest fan, but well done to Kyle. He earned the extension with a very good season.
Two year's is good for him and the club in case this year was a once off.

I am hoping he has worked himself out and will be a good contributor going forward.

I've been far from his biggest fan, but well done to Kyle. He earned the extension with a very good season.
Two year's is good for him and the club in case this year was a once off.

I am hoping he has worked himself out and will be a good contributor going forward.
Him and whoever's left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not his biggest fan he’s good overhead and a decent kick. If he had grunt he could be a great midfielder but he doesn’t have it. He’s a Blumfield type.

I’m not his biggest fan he’s good overhead and a decent kick. If he had grunt he could be a great midfielder but he doesn’t have it. He’s a Blumfield type.
I think he lacks a bit in the quick decision making department as well to be a midfielder .He is a flanker / winger which is okay as there is a spot for him on a wing

Back