AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton 🥈

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.
04 - langford.jpg

Contract Status: Restricted Free Agent 2026
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 8, boncer34

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
He started last season slowly too. By the end he was killing it. Maybe he needs time to work into the season.

while Cox in his 3rd game is knee deep in the trenches at every contest

“needs to time to work into the season” is a load of crap

he’s a professional footballer who needs to act accordingly

no excuses

get to the friggin contest and Do Something..anything

just get involved...ffs

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
What is he 24?

There's time. He has the tools. Just needs to put it together consistently.

7 year's isn't enough time to put it together?

Was hoping he'd push on from last season but he seems to be back to " yeah,nah" Kyle.

I hope he picks up, but won't hold my breath.

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
He’s certainly levelled off from last season but I reckon his role has also changed the most. Last year he basically had license to hunt pill, roam forward and kick goals.

Rutten has seemingly tried to turn him into Kamdyn Macintosh, which means no flashy stuff and a lot of hard defensive running.

Doing a pretty good job of it I reckon.

I think that's what they tried to do with Cutler last year but he wasn't good enough to pull it off. Langford looks like he's under instruction to stay pretty close to the boundary, which isn't great for his individual game but makes sense for the team because with so many short blokes we need someone is available to take a mark on the wing.

jayce

Debutant
Aug 31, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Has gone missing in third quarters so far in 2021. Has had 4 disposals against hawks, 1 disposal against port, 3 disposals against the saints and 2 disposals againt the swans. Unfit maybe?

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Just wonder whether change of rules, gameplan and the speed of the game has set him back.

Looks slower than usual covering the ground. Can't afford not to have clean hands.

As the season wears on it might even out for him but thats not what we need.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Not his best game last night (felt he copped a few unlucky calls, it was not a dangerous tackle for one) but otherwise solid this year. Still a great user of the ball in general and provides value, but I'd like to see improvement.

Trying to remember, doesn't he start slow into every year then improve?

He was actually pretty good against Hawthorn and Port. Offers a good marking target, lots of score involvements and one of the better kicks in the team. He's not been instructed to play as a big inside mid so temper the expectation on him to pump out that kind of game.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
In crucial moments of the game Langford was caught out metres from his direct opponent inside defensive 50 and also nonchalantly kicked out on the full when he was kicking to a pack 40m along the boundary - we were never going to keep possession whether the ball was out on the full or not. Poor decision and a really lazy kick.

4 free kicks against and 63% disposal efficiency. If it were Parish with those stats this forum would go into meltdown. For some reason Langford gets a free pass from genuine criticism from many of you.

He could be a handy bottom 6 player.

In crucial moments of the game Langford was caught out metres from his direct opponent inside defensive 50 and also nonchalantly kicked out on the full when he was kicking to a pack 40m along the boundary - we were never going to keep possession whether the ball was out on the full or not. Poor decision and a really lazy kick.

4 free kicks against and 63% disposal efficiency. If it were Parish with those stats this forum would go into meltdown. For some reason Langford gets a free pass from genuine criticism from many of you.

Maybe reread the thread.

There’s more or less universal agreement that he’s not in amazing form right now from what I can see.

What exactly are you talking about?

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
There’s more or less universal agreement that he’s not in amazing form right now from what I can see.

What exactly are you talking about?
Turn it up Doss. Check Parish’ thread and compare it to this thread.

Langford is poor defensively and has no aggression. He’s a shorter version of Wright.

Turn it up Doss. Check Parish’ thread and compare it to this thread.

Langford is poor defensively and has no aggression. He’s a shorter version of Wright.
No, I’ll judge what’s said here thanks. I’m not going to compare it to another player to create some illusory boogeyman I can wave my fist at disapprovingly.

People are pretty clearly not particularly happy with Langford’s form. You’re the one who should turn it up.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
He’s certainly levelled off from last season but I reckon his role has also changed the most. Last year he basically had license to hunt pill, roam forward and kick goals.

Rutten has seemingly tried to turn him into Kamdyn Macintosh, which means no flashy stuff and a lot of hard defensive running. He’s basically under instruction to hold width and not get sucked in to contests and to protect the fat side in the air, which he is doing.

Doing a pretty good job of it I reckon.

Ahah, also known as the 'Zaharakis Role'.

Back