Past 4. Lochie O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Really noticeable moment when Martin rather than wheeling back inboard on the flank gave the ball to LOB on the outside who pulled off a brilliant kick.
In order for LOB to succeed his teammates will need to look for and use him. He is never going to be a high contested possession player but he will run to receive in great spots and more importantly will execute the right kick thereafter.
If our senior guys use and play through LOB he is a great chance to have a successful career. If they continuously use him as dummy bait or a decoy he will not.
I will be interested to see where our coaching staff land

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This is the point. If the players learn to play through him but doing the team thing, it will be good for Lachie and the side. His main asset is his delivery. As long as he runs all day and teammates do the right thing he will be an invaluable asset. Similar to when players take a mark in the back half and look for saad if he is running past

Gee it makes a massive difference when you add a player who can kick over one who can't, especially when the get good numbers and use it. We have some good inside players in the seniors now, good to support a player like O'Brien, lets hope he is maturing and coming good, his kicking is going to be real handy in the side.

I think if they can get a trade offer for him they will take it but I'd like to see him given another contract.

He is an elite runner and just needs to keep improving on his size and strength.

I'd like LOB to get a few good games in, then happy to add in cerra trade.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
The team lacks a player who can run defensively and offensively all game with elite disposal, and you think the best option is to trade him?

seh6p.gif

It was noticeable that Lochie appeared to have the confidence that he should be in the starting team.
Previously that has not been as evident.
Maybe playing kids in the VFL, having them work on their craft and then getting them to the point where they believe that they should be in the senior team is good development.

Gee it makes a massive difference when you add a player who can kick over one who can't, especially when the get good numbers and use it. We have some good inside players in the seniors now, good to support a player like O'Brien, lets hope he is maturing and coming good, his kicking is going to be real handy in the side.

Couldn’t agree more gbat 👍
Just seems to be the kind of player that needs just that extra little bit of time and space to offload his offensive weapons, and that’s fine if as you allude to we offer that up to him as a midfield unit. So good seeing the number 4 up and about again !

It was noticeable that Lochie appeared to have the confidence that he should be in the starting team.
Maybe playing kids in the VFL, having them work on their craft and then getting them to the point where they believe that they should be in the senior team is good development.

Really noticeable moment when Martin rather than wheeling back inboard on the flank gave the ball to LOB on the outside who pulled off a brilliant kick.
In order for LOB to succeed his teammates will need to look for and use him. He is never going to be a high contested possession player but he will run to receive in great spots and more importantly will execute the right kick thereafter.
If our senior guys use and play through LOB he is a great chance to have a successful career. If they continuously use him as dummy bait or a decoy he will not.
I will be interested to see where our coaching staff land

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
100%

If it was Ed Curnow handing it off, I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but Martin knows how to kick a football.

I'd love to know whether the team was instructed to look for LOB, or it was just unselfish/smart play from Martin.

Steele absolutely buried him -- he got up ok -- when he had to dive on it he did when he had to do what he is paid for that is run receive and even without the ball run smart and run some more -- I see a lot of improvement in him-- he didn't seem to be running around like a chook with its head cut off ..
bigfooty - no talk of admiration or support shall be delivered without it containing some form of clip.......let's never forget the shitness of any fringe player...,,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some very positive signs from LOB.
He needs to continue to work hard to put himself in a position to receive the ball but he highlighted that he's got some tools to work with, the question is whether he remains engaged in the game long enough to use them

I will be very happy to eat my words if LOB can keep up that kind of performance.

Saw something in him that I haven't seen at AFL level before - he was self assured, and took the game by the throat a few times.

I liked it a lot.

Big test over the next 3 weeks, but he's surely off the table come delisting time.

That was only an option in BigFooty land. And never a consideration for Carlton.

No AFL football club should or would delist a 21 year old, former Pick 10, who has an elite skill (his field kicking) and who has played some good football in the past. Paddy Dow has started playing very well and looks the part of a 1st round pick, ever since Barker left Carlton. Probably not a coincidence then that LOB looked like a 1st round pick on Friday night. You don’t delist players who would easily find a spot on plenty of AFL lists. He isn’t Ben Silvagni or Darcy Lang.

He probably had a hand in around 5 goals I can think of off the top of my head. Looking back on those passages of play I wonder if our other wing options (Cottrell, Newnes, Docherty, Curnow etc) would have hit those targets and I think probably not. If a guy is a good kick I think you go out of your way to get them going. A lot of great sides have won flags by filling the team with really good users of the ball. Footy is so much easier and less scrappy when you kick well, it requires less effort to score, less defending and is harder to defend against. You just don't have to crash and bash and fight for the ball so much when targets get hit regularly, you can be more uncontested. That's going to see less injury (big issue for us) and less running out of gas (big issue for us) hence stronger defensive efforts and more successful attacking efforts.

Kicking has been an issue for this team. Replacing our lesser kicks with better kicks should be high on the agenda. Probably good cause to get SPS into the team and going too when you think about it and you'd be looking at guys who aren't the greatest kicks such as Curnow and Newnes.

See Karl Amon for a glimpse of what LOB has the opportunity to be in 12-24 months if he contnues to do the work.
An All-Australian caliber wingman.

bigfooty - no talk of admiration or support shall be delivered without it containing some form of clip.......let's never forget the shitness of any fringe player...,,
I still haven't forgiven KADE SIMPSON for his terrible first game. No disposals. Zilch. If our club had any kahunas we should have delisted him then and there. Instead, in what reeks of lack of selection integrity, we nursed him to 300 games!

Heresy.

I still haven't forgiven KADE SIMPSON for his terrible first game. No disposals. Zilch. If our club had any kahunas we should have delisted him then and there. Instead, in what reeks of lack of selection integrity, we nursed him to 300 games!
Not to take away from a good post, but Simmo was the sub before there was a sub. He played an average of 15% gametime in those statless first 3 games...including 2% gametime in his second game. He played 30% or less game time in 6 of his first seven games. A dinosaur, was Denis.

If anything, he was being nursed to 10 games.

What a load of tosh. Teagues preference for older players over the kids - has been very well established - no one can seriously be still denying this after what we have witnessed this year - and the stats posted confirm it.

Web hosting sucks - here is another version of video

Obrien Kicks -2019

Obrien has been performing very well in the VFL all year, with even his worst performances still more than handy, he was also full of confidence under Bolton.

Murphy on the wing has been great /s

Last edited:
What a load of tosh. Teagues preference for older players over the kids - has been very well established - no one can seriously be still denying this after what we have witnessed this year - and the stats posted confirm it.

Obrien has been performing very well in the VFL all year, with even his worst performances still more than handy, he was also full of confidence under Bolton.

Murphy on the wing has been great /s

Under Bolton LOB was playing as a decoy winger swapping sides of the ground with Walsh, getting low possessions, most of them late in the game when it opened up. Set his development back by this gifting of games. He only improved his numbers when Teague became coach at the end of the year. He played way more games than he should have early in his career and not enough in the last 2 years, with the development opportunies affected by Covid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back