Past 4. Lochie O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of tosh. Teagues preference for older players over the kids - has been very well established - no one can seriously be still denying this after what we have witnessed this year - and the stats posted confirm it.

Obrien has been performing very well in the VFL all year, with even his worst performances still more than handy, he was also full of confidence under Bolton.

Murphy on the wing has been great /s

Not this again. Just because you keep saying it's established doesn't make it true.

The U/25s who have played more than 50% of the season.
Walsh - 20yo
Weitering - 23yo
McKay - 23yo
Fogarty - 22yo
Cottrell - 21yo
Silvagni - 23yo
Dow - 21yo
SPS - 23yo
Stocker - 21yo
Pittonet - 24yo
Owies - 24yo

The "kids" who haven't played much, but are clearly preferred when fit:
Curnow - 24yo - injured
Marchbank - 24yo - injured
Cuningham - 24yo - injured
Fisher - 22yo - injured for first half of the year
De Koning - 21yo - injured (but still played just under half the season)

The kids who may have played but were kept out for reasons outside the selection committee's control:
Philp - 20yo - injured
Kemp - 19yo - injured for the last two years, close to a debut
Carroll - 18yo - injured for first half of the year, only his first season
Boyd - 22yo - mid-season recruit, injured
Mirkov - 21yo - mid-season recruit, injured

The kids who have been mostly available, but not selected:
Kennedy - 24yo - played just under half the season
Setterfield - 23yo - poor form, but now injured, played 8 games
Willo - 22yo - poor form, now back in the side, played 7 games
O'Brien - 21yo
Honey - 19yo
Ramsay - 20yo
Parks - 20yo - first season, played 6 games
Durdin - 19yo - first season

There are three kids in that list who you could argue have been hard done by. LOB, Honey, Ramsay. That's it. Parks has had a fair crack in his debut season, Durdin clearly needs development. Kennedy could have come in earlier, perhaps, either way though, he's well in now.

The "old blokes"?
Ed Curnow - 31yo - nobody pushing him out of the middle
Betts - 34yo - nobody pushing him out of the forward line
Newnes - 28yo - could have come out for LOB or Ramsay?
Murphy - 33yo - the approaching milestone is a bigger factor than his "age"
Casboult - 31yo - got games cause we had no fit talls
Newman - 28yo - solid, better contributions than Willo and Parks for the most part

Under Bolton LOB was playing as a decoy winger swapping sides of the ground with Walsh, getting low possessions, most of them late in the game when it opened up. Set his development back by this gifting of games. He only improved his numbers when Teague became coach at the end of the year. He played way more games than he should have early in his career and not enough in the last 2 years, with the development opportunies affected by Covid.

This is rubbish. Was playing excellent games under Bolton - watch the video when it reloads - Teague ended his career and only gave him 2 games. So absolute rubbish.
Makes we wonder if you've actually seen any of our VFL performances.

Yeah - so he comes in and just completely blitzes it without ever doing anything in the VFL - the footage posted shows he is the same player under Bolton who just blitzed it mate -- no idea.

I thought last night was the perfect example of what a player like Lochie can do, and backed up what I've said before about him. In a good team, and regardless of the season, last night we were a good TEAM, he can be a very valuable player. Imagine what he could do in a Hawthorn type team at their heights.

In a game where we really struggle and can't even get the basics right, and the heat is really on every player like the North game, he would probably struggle but it's not meant as a slight against him really, it's just the type of player he is. He may improve on those areas though, he wasn't exactly shying away from the contest last night.
Good players should be able to rise on any occasion. You're accepting mediocrity by making excuses.

Yes he was good last night but let's see some consistency, especially when under duress.

I still hold strong doubts about LOB, even after Friday. And the 'under duress' part is my #1 concern. BUT the bolded bit is unfair IMO.

Wing is a hard role when your midfield is getting belted. For almost anyone. Sure, Gaff would look good in any team. Walsh would be a star in any team. But these guys are the best in the biz.

You can't expect every player to be good every week or under any circumstances. I mean Weiters is extraordinary, but gets exposed by quick leading types. Betts is an all-time great fwd but can go missing when we have few and/or crappy inside 50s.

Some games suit a player like LOB perfectly. And some will make it hard for him to perform. The most you can ask for is consistent effort and to find ways to bring players into games/situations that don't suit them.

Teague has refused to play, played in the wrong position, or limited time despite playing well:

Honey, Ramsay, Parks, Durdin, Obrien, Kennedy, SPS, Dow, Kennedy, Stocker and even TDK -

Williamson has been iffy - but rightly given a shot.

Even Cuningham couldn't get a bloody game and the press / fans were screaming the door down. Pittonet was being selected over TDK until it became so obvious just how galactically crap - beyond imagination bad - Pitto was / is.

Carlton have debuted 1 kid this year - Pies 9, Hawks 7 - etc.

Dow was kept out of the team for most of the first half of the year, being played SUB most of the time, then dropped - it was a disgrace.

SPS was being played back most of the year (and prior) by Teague and it was killing him.

Stocker was screaming for a game - and then you guessed it Teague sticks him in the back line.

Kemp was tearing the roof off in the reserves in MAY - Teague wants to play another natural in the back line - we have so many injuries - still cant get a bloody game.

Carroll has NOT been out half the entire year.

Betts statistics have been among the worst of any small forward in the comp - his goal kicking ridiculously skewed by a losing game against dogs - averaging out without this game puts him in the bottom quarter of the table. Stats outside of this - WHICH MATTER - are so bad he doesn't even make the top 75 list.

Newman should not be playing seniors football - saying otherwise just means you don't understand the game.

Murphy has specifically held out Lochie on the wing, and is an embarassment that we are sacrificing Teague, our Finals for Murphy's 300 - again, saying so is just indicative of football knowledge - its absurd situation no other club would engage in.

Curnow needs to move on.

Casboult should not have been played and we should have developed an alternative forward attack - the idea we can only go in with one strategy is part of th reason Teague is in trouble.

I still hold strong doubts about LOB, even after Friday. And the 'under duress' part is my #1 concern. BUT the bolded bit is unfair IMO.

Wing is a hard role when your midfield is getting belted. For almost anyone. Sure, Gaff would look good in any team. Walsh would be a star in any team. But these guys are the best in the biz.

You can't expect every player to be good every week or under any circumstances. I mean Weiters is extraordinary, but gets exposed by quick leading types. Betts is an all-time great fwd but can go missing when we have few and/or crappy inside 50s.

Some games suit a player like LOB perfectly. And some will make it hard for him to perform. The most you can ask for is consistent effort and to find ways to bring players into games/situations that don't suit them.
This!!! LOB was well suited to the game on Friday because there was little pressure from the Dainties. Let’s see it against the top sides, Port will be a big test if he is still there.

This!!! LOB was well suited to the game on Friday because there was little pressure from the Dainties. Let’s see it against the top sides, Port will be a big test if he is still there.
Works both ways though. Other options may be perceived to be harder, or more resistant to pressure.... but there's a threshold where that doesn't really matter if you're not smart with how you use it or you just flat out can't kick the footy.

Lochie certainly can, as evident on Friday night. I want to see him back it up again and ideally he makes a wing position his own because on paper we really could use him. However if he was a rough night I don't want to see him dropped straight away like last time, when some others have been afforded the luxury of retaining selection after complete howlers or stretches of games with negligible positive contribution, despite showing effort. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

Yeah - so he comes in and just completely blitzes it without ever doing anything in the VFL - the footage posted shows he is the same player under Bolton who just blitzed it mate -- no idea.

So I take it you haven't actually seen any VFL games. For what it's worth, that was LOB's best performance at any level, that I've seen, for a couple of years.

My take on LOB for what it's worth is that if we are going well and creating lots of opportunities then he can be a real weapon.

My concern is when things aren't going that well . He hasn't shown the capacity to be able to stand firm and turn things around yet. And unfortunately playing for Carlton things not going well happens fairly regularly.

His future is still unwritten. Hoping last Friday was the start if something good.

This is the point. If the players learn to play through him but doing the team thing, it will be good for Lachie and the side. His main asset is his delivery. As long as he runs all day and teammates do the right thing he will be an invaluable asset. Similar to when players take a mark in the back half and look for saad if he is running past

Similar story to Dow - until about halfway this year our senior players have been reluctant to trust and play through the young guys

My take on LOB for what it's worth is that if we are going well and creating lots of opportunities then he can be a real weapon.

My concern is when things aren't going that well . He hasn't shown the capacity to be able to stand firm and turn things around yet. And unfortunately playing for Carlton things not going well happens fairly regularly.

His future is still unwritten. Hoping last Friday was the start if something good.
fair call - not sure it is the role of the younger players to be leading the way against an opposition run-on though - we've had no-one this year, even the senior players (walsh aside) who have.........

I'm going to stand by my comment. He played a good game yes and everyone just seems to be getting ahead of themselves. Hopefully it's a breakout and he can find consistency. Finals footy, for example, is all about duress and higher intensity. The best teams and players still perform in these circumstances. Hopefully lob, and the whole team for that matter, learn to do this consistently too.

This is how it looks atm.

Our pressure was way up and Saints was down.

He played well but that was a game on our terms.

Good luck kid but I remain unconvinced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is rubbish. Was playing excellent games under Bolton - watch the video when it reloads - Teague ended his career and only gave him 2 games. So absolute rubbish.
LOB played 6 games of 11 under Bolton and didn't get 15or over possessions in any games. Played all 11 games under Teague in 2019 and had 15 or more in 6 of the games.

I look forward to watching this video when it reloads that supports your argument.

Thank you Lochie

The Carlton Football Club can confirm three changes to its playing list following the conclusion of its 2023 AFL season, with Josh Honey, Sam Philp and Lochie O’Brien to depart IKON Park.

“The Club wishes all three players nothing but the best for the next chapter in their journey.”

What was the point of giving him that extension, never looked an AFL player apart from a nice kick.

Good luck kid.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Was serviceable for us last year, not a jet but was respectful in his performance. With Hollands, Docherty, Cottrell and Binns all well and truly past him there just isn’t a need to retain him on the list.

Best of luck in the future LOB, definitely could have a crack elsewhere as a DFA.

Thanks LOB!

Story in today's border mail that Lochie has signed to play with Wangaratta Rovers in the Ovens and Murray. Also notes that he has been playing in the N.T. and that this year he will complete his university degree in commerce.
Good luck to him. He'd be a pretty good player in Darwin, where the pressure on him isn't as significant. He would have time to make kicks count.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back