Past 4. Lochie O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

That left foot, it really is a weapon…

If Clarko was around, this kid would see more of the ball. Get it to him and let him run and pull the trigger…
Post reminds of of when BT said he was a s**t kick in the coverage last night. Surely I wasn't the only one saying WTF?

Firmly believe he is a player. Needs to work on one area, which is decision making and execution under direct pressure. I also firmly believe that the only way to do that is to keep getting AFL games.

I remember a young SA lad being kept in a side in ‘95 because he could deliver the ball inside the 50 better than anyone in the side. Pity he ended up at the bombers. If I was big H, I would be demanding he plays…

Wasn’t too bad defensively but really didn’t get tested
I thought he was pretty good defensively.

He dropped into the leading space, putting his body on the line and took a nice D50 mark.

He was constantly around defensive half contests providing a chop out option, and if you rewatch the game you’ll notice him positioning himself on the defensive goal line to guard the square.

Lastly, I thought his ability to get separation at kick ins was smart. It allowed that passage where he marked at HB and in two kicks we had a set shot.

His work offensively will obviously get recognition, but his ability to run from goal square to goal square, and provide options offensively and defensively is something we really lacked this year, barring a few players.

I thought he was pretty good defensively.

He dropped into the leading space, putting his body on the line and took a nice D50 mark.

He was constantly around defensive half contests providing a chop out option, and if you rewatch the game you’ll notice him positioning himself on the defensive goal line to guard the square.

Lastly, I thought his ability to get separation at kick ins was smart. It allowed that passage where he marked at HB and in two kicks we had a set shot.

His work offensively will obviously get recognition, but his ability to run from goal square to goal square, and provide options offensively and defensively is something we really lacked this year, barring a few players.

This is what keeps him in the side

Defensive work when it comes out of our forward 50…standing in the leading lanes of opp fwds, etc

If he improves/maintains that area he’s a lock for the wing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Post reminds of of when BT said he was a sh*t kick in the coverage last night. Surely I wasn't the only one saying WTF?
I messaged a mate when he said that. At that point, he’d had 7 disposals and hit 6 of them, with a couple of seriously good kicks like the one up the corridor and the first inside 50/goal assist. I think the missed target was a handball under pressure, maybe while being tackled. He’d hit everything else.

I’m just impressed BT didn’t call him Cuningham.

I messaged a mate when he said that. At that point, he’d had 7 disposals and hit 6 of them, with a couple of seriously good kicks like the one up the corridor and the first inside 50/goal assist. I think the missed target was a handball under pressure, maybe while being tackled. He’d hit everything else.

I’m just impressed BT didn’t call him Cuningham.
Expecting BT to know what he's talking about is like expecting a flat earther to explain plate tectonics properly.

Really noticeable moment when Martin rather than wheeling back inboard on the flank gave the ball to LOB on the outside who pulled off a brilliant kick.
In order for LOB to succeed his teammates will need to look for and use him. He is never going to be a high contested possession player but he will run to receive in great spots and more importantly will execute the right kick thereafter.
If our senior guys use and play through LOB he is a great chance to have a successful career. If they continuously use him as dummy bait or a decoy he will not.
I will be interested to see where our coaching staff land

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was great. Hopefully he continues to do enough each week to stay in for the rest of the year.

I'd like him to turn some of those pressure acts into actual tackles though. Corralling can work well at times but it can't be your go-to move every time, and standing 2m back from the player you're corralling just allows them time and space to find a target.
I think his positives far outweigh his negatives though and he offers more than Cottrell.

Loved his ball use, definitely a real weapon.

He tried to be more physical but its just not in his DNA, clearly doesn't like body contact.

Come finals that will be exploited.

Better result than I expected tonight that's for sure

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Steele absolutely buried him -- he got up ok -- when he had to dive on it he did when he had to do what he is paid for that is run receive and even without the ball run smart and run some more -- I see a lot of improvement in him-- he didn't seem to be running around like a chook with its head cut off ..

Thing with Lochie is I have always thought he has a very good read of the play in the open but starts to panic a bit under pressure.

It's not that he is soft, but that he wants to make the right call, and doesn't play as much on instinct as he should.

In time and space he is a wonderful player

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really noticeable moment when Martin rather than wheeling back inboard on the flank gave the ball to LOB on the outside who pulled off a brilliant kick.
In order for LOB to succeed his teammates will need to look for and use him. He is never going to be a high contested possession player but he will run to receive in great spots and more importantly will execute the right kick thereafter.
If our senior guys use and play through LOB he is a great chance to have a successful career. If they continuously use him as dummy bait or a decoy he will not.
I will be interested to see where our coaching staff land

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Certain non-obvious Carlton supporters bearing a GC badge won't like this; LOB has to be Judd-like in all manner of the game to be decent apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back