Past 4. Maddy Prespakis

Remove this Banner Ad

Maddy is an example of why the women’s game will grow into a game worthy of comparison to the men’s game. She’s skilful, courageous and knows what to do when she wins possession.

Maddy is already elite in the women’s game. Why? It’s her game of choice and she hasn’t had to take a detour to get here. She’s honed her talent playing footy. Now the system is in place I’m bullish about the girls who will follow in Maddy’s footsteps. The AFLW in five years time will be flying.

Cough, cough. I hear she has a sister who goes alright as well.
My sentiments exactly.

What we saw in year 1 & 2 of the AFLW was the result of teams being cobbled together with females from various sports & various levels of actual football participation. This year we have started to see the fruits of the Under 18 female competition.

Looking ahead, there will still be a place for females who crossover from other sports, but they will be in the minority as the NAB League Girls competition becomes the first port of call for club recruiters & yes it would be nice if we could get our hands on Maddy's younger sister. Someone needs to tell her to back off her performance somewhat so she slips down the draft order.

Congrats Maddy. She is going to be an absolute star.

I coached her a few years back when she was U12s at Romsey FC, she was the only girl on the team but the way she would burst her way through packs and shake tackles even then was amazing.

She is only going to get better too

Apparently some multi-year contracts are in the wings. However, each club can only sign up about half of their players. The other half are open to stealing from the new clubs.
Considering that a number of Victorian clubs are coming in for the 2020 season, I think it will be easier to steal from us or North, than to steal from Adelaide. Adelaide are set for a dynasty: they get access to players across 2 strong women's systems. We get access to a small portion of one, no matter how good the VFLW is. SA players will not want to move unless there is a really big incentive.
Maddy will be the best player in the comp in a couple of years, but our biggest challenge with Maddy is keeping her at Carlton when the Bombers enter the league. The whole family were mad Essendon supporters and the Bombers know it. These one year contracts make it hard to keep players.
I am very happy to have Maddy with us for as long as she wants to play with us. I hope by being a Carlton player that she will want to remain one.
However, we must be realistic: it may be harder to keep her when Essendon enters. However, I hope that the AFL learn a few lessons from what happened to Collingwood this year and restrict the growth of the comp. The longer it takes for Essendon to enter, the more likely she will remain a Blue.
The nickname for her and Georgia Gee at the club is velcro. They're best friends.

Not sure what her individual club nickname is, probably something vanilla like Mads or Mad.
I see this as a positive in keeping both girls at the club.

Apparently some multi-year contracts are in the wings. However, each club can only sign up about half of their players. The other half are open to stealing from the new clubs.

8 players must be delisted (but can be re-drafted if not taken by other clubs first) So a third of the squad really.

8 players must be delisted (but can be re-drafted if not taken by other clubs first) So a third of the squad really.
True, but only a few of the remainder may not be poached by having multi-year contracts. Of those not delisted, any club can steal them if they try hard enough. With the salary caps and draft restrictions we have little chance of stopping them. Danielle Hardiman and the others didn't leave because North offered them less money.

Madison Prespakis (Carlton) 49
Alyce Parker (GWS Giants) 39
Olivia Purchell (Geelong Cats) 20
Sabreena Duffy (Fremantle) 17
Danielle Ponter (Adelaide Crows) 13
Eden Zanker (Melbourne) 7
Jordyn Allen (Collingwood) 3
Jacqui Yorston (Brisbane Lions) 2

Only 2 questions here:

1) Which of the 10 panelists didn't give Madison the full 5 votes?
2) Where can I get what they are smoking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking forward to speaking to Maddy tomorrow on 91.3 sportfm Perth - breakfast with the Blues 9am Perth time

Attachments

• 1555036458410.png
    1555036458410.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 155

Remove this Banner Ad

Back