Past 4. Maddy Prespakis

Remove this Banner Ad

Star inside mid in the Gary Ablett mould, though arguably will become undersized at the position over time in the AFLW.

Will be interesting to see if she increases her running capacity and transforms her game over time. She'll be great for us in year 1 and onwards, but it leaves our midfield a little one-paced.

b.jpg

I've only seen the highlights package but gets her arms free in a tackle so well...Cripps like.

Star inside mid in the Gary Ablett mould, though arguably will become undersized at the position over time in the AFLW.

Will be interesting to see if she increases her running capacity and transforms her game over time. She'll be great for us in year 1 and onwards, but it leaves our midfield a little one-paced.
I've read elsewhere that her game has a lot of Diesel Williams about it: she gets where the ball is. After the failings of our midfield last year, Maddy is just the sort of player we need.
You are correct, Jimmae, our main mids will not be express, but that won't be as much of a problem if we are first to the ball. Chasing: now that is a question. Hopefully our fitness people will be able to improve her running power as her career continues.
The other thing I read was about her kicking: it may not be long, but it hits targets. So often last year we broke down because we couldn't get the ball to a team mate. Maddy should improve us a lot on that area.

I've read elsewhere that her game has a lot of Diesel Williams about it: she gets where the ball is. After the failings of our midfield last year, Maddy is just the sort of player we need.
You are correct, Jimmae, our main mids will not be express, but that won't be as much of a problem if we are first to the ball. Chasing: now that is a question. Hopefully our fitness people will be able to improve her running power as her career continues.
The other thing I read was about her kicking: it may not be long, but it hits targets. So often last year we broke down because we couldn't get the ball to a team mate. Maddy should improve us a lot on that area.
It's not that our main mids aren't quick, it's if last season was any indication, the only ones in our likely 22 winning a footrace for the loose ball will be Downie, Harris, Edwards, Gee and Woods.

Every other team has elite running small and medium players, and we've barely helped the singular one we had, who is a string bean. I'm actually furious given all the pre-organisation of these draft allocations, that we didn't pull the people from AFL House aside and point out that Van De Heuvel was perfect for us, and used that conversation to have Geelong's pick 2 shunted down the order one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that our main mids aren't quick, it's if last season was any indication, the only ones in our likely 22 winning a footrace for the loose ball will be Downie, Harris, Edwards, Gee and Woods.

Every other team has elite running small and medium players, and we've barely helped the singular one we had, who is a string bean. I'm actually furious given all the pre-organisation of these draft allocations, that we didn't pull the people from AFL House aside and point out that Van De Heuvel was perfect for us, and used that conversation to have Geelong's pick 2 shunted down the order one.
I'm not even used to the idea of the AFL helping us even a little. Doing something that radical would actually be really helpful, unlike some of their other assistance. I am not at all surprised that this didn't happen.

The photo on the AFL site of all the top picks make her look tiny. Is she really that short or the other players simply tall?

She is not huge. Some of the other early picks are much taller. She probably won't be the smallest on our list, but she is definitely at the shorter end of the spectrum.
Yup, she'd be 164 cms, so an inch or so shorter than Darcy Vescio. Most AFLW players would be in the range of 163cm to 188 cms, with very few outside that, but that's still above average height for an Australian woman (just under 5'3"), at least as of the last time such data was collected.

Looking at her highlights I thought for a second we had also drafted Diesal's daughter as a second father daughter pick. She looks like an absolute gun. Excited!

I'm not even used to the idea of the AFL helping us even a little. Doing something that radical would actually be really helpful, unlike some of their other assistance. I am not at all surprised that this didn't happen.
Not even helping. They could have refrained from making us trade Jakobson because we'd be too good. Nekminut, spoon.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Welcome Maddy, she will be a star it's in the blood.I coached her father Damien at Jacana in the late eighty's, he was an absolute star. North. Melbourne had him secured at age 14, only a bad injury stopped him from being a VFL-AFL footballer. So anyone with any concerns about her sit back and enjoy the show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back