VFLW Past #47: Mia-Rae Clifford (Co-Captain) - First ever player in the VFLW to play 100 games - 24/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Mia-Rae-Clifford.jpg

Mia-Rae Clifford played 18 games in the AFLW for Melbourne, Geelong and Fremantle. Now in her mid-30s, she's a bomber and passing on her wisdom to the kids :)

“I guess back in the day it was a lot more bash and crash and to see it evolve and to watch the younger kids come through, now they can kick left and right, their footy IQ is through the roof, where we kind of just had to learn as we go,” Clifford said.

“When I started, I didn’t have the pathway coming through and women weren’t allowed to play so I think it’s really cool that these young girls have an option to start learning at a really young age. We have young kids like ‘Millzy’ (Emilia Yassir) and ‘Barbs’ (Alana Barba) that are coming through and their skills are just so clean.”

“I’ve learned through playing at different clubs and at high levels that you can get very lost and down on yourself quite easily and I want to make sure these young kids go in and are prepared for the mental side of things,” she said.

“I think if they can stay composed and trust themselves more than anything, I think they’ll go a very long way.”

“Football can be a real mental game and I think that gets overlooked a lot, so it’s more about just telling these young minds to relax and trust themselves and don’t get too lost in structures and all this crazy lingo,” she said.

“At the end of the day, you’re out there and no one else, so you can only control what’s in front of you.”

“I guess I’m never one to want to put myself out there as a leader because I’m pretty vocal anyway, but I wanted to help create something amazing here,” Clifford said.

“I don’t know how many more years I have left to play, so I want to help these young kids evolve to be great leaders.”

“’Barbs’ (Alana Barba), she’s one who is up and coming. She will captain a team one day, so I want to help her in anyway,” Clifford said.

“We also have ‘Coops’ (Eloise Ashley-Cooper). We forget ‘Coops’ is quite young as well, but she has such a level head on her.”

“I’ve had to change my role slightly so it’s been pretty cool to add another string to my bow, but I’ve learnt a lot and like I said, it is a pretty young side, beside me and ‘C-Bomb’ (Cecilia McIntosh), we are of the ages,” she said.

“But at the same time, I think we’re still keeping up with the young ones. It’s been really cool to be a part of and paving the way and creating a really amazing culture here at Essendon, so it’s really exciting times.”

“I think we have a really good group (of coaches) and everyone contributes something different. Major (head coach Brendan Major) has always backed me in, but ‘Gav’ (Gavin Urquhart) has spent a lot of time with me after training with my set shots and goalkicking, and that’s real mental as well,” she said.

“So ‘Gav’ has put a lot of confidence in me and helped me with my routine to back myself. Then all the other coaches have a lot of faith in us. They’re all a really great group, and it doesn’t matter what line you’re in; they believe in us all, all the time.”

“I think our best moment is still to come, I’ll put that out there. I think my favourite moment of the year is soon to come,” she said.

2022 jumper presentation

Such a presence on the field, I really hope she is named for our AFLW side. The trend is that the players we're taking have been young and hopefully long termers. Clifford has played the level already and would be a good leader to have around what will be a young group.

First ever VFLW player to play 100 VFLW games.

This Sunday, Mia-Rae Clifford will cement her name in history as the first ever VFLW player to surpass the 100-game threshold.

The undefeated Premiership co-captain has been an integral part of the VFLW Bombers’ list for the past two years, something she’s looking forward to continuing for the foreseeable future.

The celebration of her 100th game will come in line with the VFLW Premiership flag unveiling, one that was achieved after an undefeated season.

“It was very unique and rare to have such a connection within a team like we did last year,” Clifford said.

“Every year, you want to strive and make the big dance, like last year.

“This year is all about fighting and continuing that culture under Travis Cloke and growing the young girls’ games.”

Whilst the team success is one she values highly, it’s not lost on her the significance of reaching 100 games, one she had not realised was the case until the VFLW awards night last year.

“I didn’t realise till the awards night that I was stuck on 99,” Clifford said.

“If I hadn’t been rested earlier in the season, I would have played my 100th in the VFLW Grand Final.

“It’s taken a lot of years and it is very humbling to have made it that far, my body and everything has just kept going and going.”

Despite this, Clifford is more excited to celebrate her teammates and the bright future moving forward.

“This day isn’t about me though,” she said.

“It’s about unveiling the flag and starting the new chapter for the girls.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, a bunch left for Footscray and Port Melbourne.

We did get back Sarah Ford from Sydney and seemed to have picked up Sarah Perkins from the Hawks.
Mia-Rae had slowed down a lot this year, from a playing point of view it isn't too concerning. But she would be great to still have on a coaching and mentoring capacity.

And then you go back to the Instagram comments during the AFLW delisting period, I think you have to wonder what is going on. We had a great culture and a great program and they look to be tossing it all to the breeze?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back