International 4 Nations 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Just too many spuds in the Australian team.

Have to agree. This was a series for us to lose and we didn't which I'm glad about. Personally I thought Australia was the 3rd best team in this series.

AUS lacked the size and punch up front and have the whole tournament because sheens only picked two recognised props and one barely plays 20mins a game for his club, you reap what you sow. NZ were missing guys as well but across the park they are a better side. Johnson is brilliant and love watching him play. Thought the ref was ordinary and gave AUS far too much leeway and probably kept them closer than they should have been.

What was with kick-off being at 9pm kiwi time? Crazy!

A ridiculous amount of forward passes went unremarked by both sides. Kick pressure on Johnson went way beyond the legal in my view (I continue to see this as a blight on our game; the slightest touch by an attacker on a fullback challenging for a cross-kick always results in a penalty, but cleaning out Johnson and others in mid-air is OK?), offside (by the Kiwi defenders in those last couple of minutes, for example) was a joke, but...

what a thrilling game of footy! Some wonderful and memorable scores, and a fantastic advert for our sport. Once again the rarity of international footy seems dafter than ever.

Congratulations to New Zealand, worthy winners of a great comp.

Now it just makes me look forward to seeing the Kiwis over here next year even more! :D

No doubt had an effect on the crowd. No early game either, so not much else to draw people in at that time of the night.

It seems they chose quite a small stadium for the Final. Do you think there was the interest there to have potentially filled a bigger stadium in another city in NZ, AuckMel?

It seems they chose quite a small stadium for the Final. Do you think there was the interest there to have potentially filled a bigger stadium in another city in NZ, AuckMel?
They went to the local gov that paid the most, although I think they also wanted to expose test football to new areas so they have the interest to be able to take games back to those grounds in 2017 for the WC. They could have got near 40k at eden park at a decent hour, Auckland didn't get a game in the whole tournament and it's the strongest league area in the country.

Thanks. I thought it might have something to do with 'expansion areas'. Also, maybe cos Auckland isn't very 'central'?

And I'm sure beating the Aussies in a Final in any sport will guarantee front pages and plenty of interest in New Zealand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thankfully the fans have taken this much better than the media who have looked for excuses rather than giving the Kiwis much credit.
Rothfield is an idiot, Australia lost in the forwards, anyone who knows anything about rugby league knows that, the kiwis ran over the top of us and maybe next time they will select a forward pack in the 24 man squad. Player selection is just as important as performances on the field and NZ beat us in both regards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back