Victorian Covid Outbreak 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

So 16 cases today in NSW today - no idea how many are linked to existing cases or a mystery source. So this was pretty much the point (10 cases or more a day) that Victoria went into lockdown. NSW aren't going into lockdown per se so we might have some inclination what is the best approach to take if the numbers start to increase.

It's more the amount of cases that aren't already isolation that's the issue.

NSW seemed to get on top of that quicker than Vic.

NSW has reintroduced social distancing measures after recording 16 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases, half of which were linked to a birthday party in Sydney's south-west.

Chief health officer Kerry Chant said 10 of the new infections were linked to the Bondi cluster — which now sits at 31 — but was concerned by the fact four of the new cases were unlinked to that outbreak.

Pretty disappointing when you go onto the articles on social media and see people almost hoping the NSW approach fails.

I for one hope they get onto it and it doesn't really blow out but they now have the threat of being ostracized from the rest of the country for the near future which poses it's own challenges.

It doesn't matter how sick they are - it's the fact that they can transmit it to someone else.
Who also won't be sick. Or is highly likely not to be sick.

We've had approximately 10 cases per day in Australia (based on Google's figures) over the past 30 days. Not one of those people has been sick.

... who also doesn't get sick...
...then they transmit it to 4 other people...who transmit it to 16 other people, who transmit it to 256 people...who then transmit it to 65000 people, and so on.

From that 65000 people, the chances of people getting very sick becomes pretty high.

But hasn't this discussion been done 1000 times already over the past 18 months anyway?

So if no one gets sick, how did 700 people die last year? Younger people, healthier people, may not show symptoms if they get it. But they can spread it to people who do. You've asked this question "many times" because you seem to refuse to accept the answer.
I don't believe 700 people died of COVID last year.

Even the lying CDC in the US are framing up that actual covid deaths could be 20% of recorded numbers. Imagine how much they ACTUALLY are. Maybe 1-2%?

...then they transmit it to 4 other people...who transmit it to 16 other people, who transmit it to 256 people...who then transmit it to 65000 people, and so on.

From that 65000 people, the chances of people getting very sick becomes pretty high.

But hasn't this discussion been done 1000 times already over the past 18 months anyway?
Weird how every Perth lockdown has had positive cases traipsing over the city while asymptomatic but no one gets infected. Doesn't seem to align with the exponential growth you claim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And while I'm at it, news articles using this type of tone isn't doing anyone any favours either.

NSW COVID cluster's 'enormous' expansion sparks concern, but outbreak remains traced for now

Experts remain optimistic a COVID-19 outbreak in Sydney's eastern suburbs is contained, despite yesterday's "enormous" rise in case numbers that saw the Bondi cluster almost double in size.

Just for perfective they had 10 new cases at the time of the article in which 80% of them were already in isolation due to swift work of contact tracers.

The media in this country really gives me the shits :mad:

And this is where the petty politics becomes dangerous.

I get that lockdown sucks and is not ideal, and I respect the concept of using it as a last resort. But....fu**, it's such a fine line as to when you leave it too late.

I have no doubt that Gladys will be influenced by politics, as much as by economics and health in regards to deciding at what point to lock down. And that's very dangerous.

I despise how politicised this whole thing is.

Can't avoid it.

It's the thing that's overlooked in a lot of discussion around pandemics. The disease is just half of it. The social / political element is the other half of a pandemic.

It explains why we have such different outcomes around the world.

So if no one gets sick, how did 700 people die last year? Younger people, healthier people, may not show symptoms if they get it. But they can spread it to people who do. You've asked this question "many times" because you seem to refuse to accept the answer.
But it's deadly! The 700 were almost all frail elderly in nursing homes, with comorbidities. I'd be concerned if this cohort were getting it again but they're not. The positive cases are nearly all returned travellers or their close associates, younger, fitter people who are out and about at Bunnings, the footy, cafes, without apparently realising they have the disease. I don't WANT people to get sick but if they're not, we should be told. Unfortunately that news would have an adverse effect on vaccination rates.

Something else you might know the answer to - does testing positive make you immune?

Pretty disappointing when you go onto the articles on social media and see people almost hoping the NSW approach fails.

I for one hope they get onto it and it doesn't really blow out but they now have the threat of being ostracized from the rest of the country for the near future which poses it's own challenges.

100% don't want any cases anywhere in Australia.

And while I'm at it, news articles using this type of tone isn't doing anyone any favours either.

Just for perfective they had 10 new cases at the time of the article in which 80% of them were already in isolation due to swift work of contact tracers.

The media in this country really gives me the shits :mad:

The media are cooked. I’ve cancelled my HS subscription too. How they’ve treated the vaccine has been diabolical. They are a disgrace and to be honest I am shocked that they are still this dumb to try and get clicks.

Who also won't be sick. Or is highly likely not to be sick.

We've had approximately 10 cases per day in Australia (based on Google's figures) over the past 30 days. Not one of those people has been sick.

A toddler with covid was hospitalised recently

I'm not sure what age bracket you're in, but currently it's not possible to book a vaccination (if you're under 60 and therefore getting the Pfizer one), due to the massive backlog. Every time I try they ask you to call back next week as they are using the shipments they get so quickly. But yes get it if you have the opportunity.
Admittedly, i booked a few days before the last lockdown for May31st and had no problem. I got there when all the rush was on and it was easily done, no lines, just in and got the jab, got the 2nd date booked in, waited for 15 mins and then told to bugger off!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back