Victorian Covid Outbreak 2021

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
What is keeping Australians overseas currently? If we were to break down the stats would it show 57% don't have the money to buy the ticket, 23% can't get a hotel quarantine position/can't afford it, 10% don't have any flights to Australia available from where they are?
For me to come home, its nearly 3K for a one way flight, and another 3K for hotel quarantine, even though I'm fully vaccinated. Not even remotely worth considering.

"We will get through this." Easy for someone to say that when they haven't lost a cent of their income. What a pathetic leader.
Andrews' salary is $452K ++. He is the highest paid state leader in Australia. Not bad for someone who is a career politician who has never held a job in the commercial sector

Fryman

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Springfield
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red Sox
So let me try to understand your rationale here:

The Flu killed 804 people in 2017, (no data provided) in 2018 & 812 people in 2019 despite Australia putting no restrictions in place to prevent the spread.

Yet in 2020 COVID killed 909 Australians despite all the lockdowns & restrictions put in place. Imagine how much higher that number would've been if we "let it rip" and spread throughout our community the same way we do the flu?
So give me a number of deaths from Covid you will accept.

Obviously 800 influenza deaths a year was acceptable to you because I didn’t see anyone calling for lockdowns.

So we know the number is greater than 800 a year, how much greater?

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Why are there lockdowns in SA commencing tonight with 4 cases? Victoria locked down for another 7 days. Flu deaths occurred in 2017 - 2019 with vaccinations available at your local Chemist Warehouse. Australia has Covid deaths since January 1st is 5. South Australia has had 4 deaths since March 2020! Locked down from tonight. Why is a very good word to use? The question that is never answered is who dies from Covid or with it? As of today, our sporting seasons are now in jeopardy, life in general for many is in jeopardy, make sure you get your permits to live!
Better question is why are you unable to grasp the concept of exponential growth after 18 months of a pandemic?

R of delta variant is 5

4 cases in one generation is 20 in the next. 100 in the third. 500 in the fourth. I can keep going if you want?

So give me a number of deaths from Covid you will accept.

Obviously 800 influenza deaths a year was acceptable to you because I didn’t see anyone calling for lockdowns.

So we know the number is greater than 800 a year, how much greater?

I’m not an epidemiologist or a health expert.

By asking questions of someone’s judgement on BigFooty, it’s not going to change the situation.

I have faith that the health experts have our health in their best interest, whatever that number may be.

Fryman

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Springfield
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red Sox

By asking questions of someone’s judgement on BigFooty, it’s not going to change the situation.

I have faith that the health experts have our health in their best interest, whatever that number may be.
So critical thinking is left at the door and you take direction from career bureaucrats and university professors. Awesome.

So critical thinking is left at the door and you take direction from career bureaucrats and university professors. Awesome.

If your definition of “critical thinking” is listening to Sky News, reading Facebook posts & YouTube videos and repeating the same straw man arguments repeatedly—- then I’d trust Health officers who have spent their lives understanding health issues than conspiracy theory loonies on BigFooty

So when Brett Sutton flippantly said last night that "we will probably never beat the Delta strain" you're happy with the implications of that statement? i.e., recurring lockdowns until we reach, what is it, 80% vaccinated? I don't know what aspect of health you are talking about, but there is one that Sutton is completely ignoring and that is mental health. I have a relative who is a psychologist and is completely swept off her feet and fully expects things to get worse before they get better.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool

Lol. You’re still arguing with the flu guys.

So when Brett Sutton flippantly said last night that "we will probably never beat the Delta strain" you're happy with the implications of that statement? i.e., recurring lockdowns until we reach, what is it, 80% vaccinated? I don't know what aspect of health you are talking about, but there is one that Sutton is completely ignoring and that is mental health. I have a relative who is a psychologist and is completely swept off her feet and fully expects things to get worse before they get better.

What did I say above about the "same straw man arguments repeatedly"

You've mentioned this a dozen times now between multiple threads, despite evidence being provided to you repeatedly that the Victorian government has invested over $800 million into mental health support in the past 12 months. Mental health issues have increased in the past 18 months and the government is supporting those people.

But I've said above & I'll say it again-- I trust Brett Sutton more than I trust the conspiracy theories on BigFooty.

Lol. You’re still arguing with the flu guys.

The alternative is allowing BigFooty to become a hive for these alternative conspiracy theory views. The views of these fools are dangerous if people listen to them. If mods won't remove these views, I need to point out how inaccurate they are.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
If your definition of “critical thinking” is listening to Sky News, reading Facebook posts & YouTube videos and repeating the same straw man arguments repeatedly—- then I’d trust Health officers who have spent their lives understanding health issues than conspiracy theory loonies on BigFooty
Cri
What did I say above about the "same straw man arguments repeatedly"

You've mentioned this a dozen times now between multiple threads, despite evidence being provided to you repeatedly that the Victorian government has invested over $800 million into mental health support in the past 12 months. Mental health issues have increased in the past 18 months and the government is supporting those people.

But I've said above & I'll say it again-- I trust Brett Sutton more than I trust the conspiracy theories on BigFooty.

The alternative is allowing BigFooty to become a hive for these alternative conspiracy theory views. The views of these fools are dangerous if people listen to them. If mods won't remove these views, I need to point out how inaccurate they are.

So you are like a volunteer big footy policeman/woman. Got it.

So you are like a volunteer big footy policeman/woman. Got it.

Nope.

I'm in lockdown--- I've got spare time.

If conspiracy theorists are allowed to rant, aren't I allowed to correct them?

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
i agree with this statement. personally i feel my degree in design makes me fully qualified to contradict the advice from medical professionals with decades of experience.

Ok cool. Both sides as in conspiracy theories vs …….

Understanding & following expert health advice.

How difficult is it to trust the experts rather than rant repeatedly about the flu, Florida, Trump, PCR tests, etc.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The rationale is simple. The Covid death figure includes the Victorian deaths of 820 in aged care facilities. it was lockdown for several months. NSW has had 58 since March 2020. They had 529 Flu deaths alone in 2017!
Why are there lockdowns in SA commencing tonight with 4 cases? Victoria locked down for another 7 days. Flu deaths occurred in 2017 - 2019 with vaccinations available at your local Chemist Warehouse. Australia has Covid deaths since January 1st is 5. South Australia has had 4 deaths since March 2020! Locked down from tonight. Why is a very good word to use? The question that is never answered is who dies from Covid or with it? As of today, our sporting seasons are now in jeopardy, life in general for many is in jeopardy, make sure you get your permits to live!

Sorry, but you're not putting together a decent argument at all.

Firstly, the WHO's stats on flu deaths are for 'flu related deaths'. So of the estimated 300,000 - 650,000 'flu deaths' every year, it's probable that many 'died with the flu' rather than from it, as such.

Secondly, are you seriously not clear on why states are locking down?

They're locking down because their belief is that our economy and health system can't function whilst COVID is rampant in the community. Also, people lots of people will get sick and die.

You can't manage case numbers without lockdowns. They go up exponentially. And then very quickly, it's rampant in the community.

You can't argue against lockdowns as the only way to prevent the virus from taking over. You just can't. There is no other way.

The only thing that you can argue, is whether you want it running rampant and all of the implications of that - or if you dont. If you don't, then periodic lockdowns is the only way.

Back