AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

My mistake, apologies

He's trying to make a positive play on the ball and it fails because he loses his footing. Eh, I'm more focussed on our wholistic rubbish performance
There's many things to be disappointed in. But "complete dipshits". He ****ed up, in a situation he should have dominated. It's quite reasonable to be disappointed in that.

It is completely unrealistic to expect us to win every single game. Even the most dominant teams have lost a game here and there. The damage was already done in the first 8 games. Losing this game (only a 4 point game) doesn't detract from the fact that we've been a good team in the second half of the year. Many of a our senior players were down on usual performance, but that could be fatigue setting in. We've been playing elimination finals for a long time. Hopefully we approach the last 3 games without the added pressure and continue developing our players

On the bright side, Hawthorn played better than us, yet still almost lost it even though we were way down on performance.

I’m not being smug. I like posting on your board.

How more accurate can I be a few points and cracking game.
Yes silly me. However did I mistake you going "I told you so" over something that didn't happen as smug?

Smacks injury bit us hard this week. We lacked a key forward, thought we should have moved Hooker forward earlier, spent too much time long bombing it in for Stratton to clean up.

Disappointing to lose like that, but far from disheartening.

Carn’ Bombers!!!

The guy is like one of those wind up toys; just never stops.

That Sydney didn't want him is baffling at best, and the chicken is coming home to roost now.
I'm sure this has been pointed out a lot, but I find it kind of fitting, given the opposite happened with Josh Kennedy and Hawthorn.

It is completely unrealistic to expect us to win every single game. Even the most dominant teams have lost a game here and there. The damage was already done in the first 8 games. Losing this game (only a 4 point game) doesn't detract from the fact that we've been a good team in the second half of the year. Many of a our senior players were down on usual performance, but that could be fatigue setting in. We've been playing elimination finals for a long time. Hopefully we approach the last 3 games without the added pressure and continue developing our players

On the bright side, Hawthorn played better than us, yet still almost lost it even though we were way down on performance.

Agreed.

Obviously the ******* Carlton game is one we all rue and look back on. But for me the one that really gets me as much is the dog's game. We should of won that game as the dog's have been pretty abysmal all season.

BUt yes, pushing the Hawks and Pies to there limits the last few weeks not to mention belting Shitney has hopefully given us a good foundation to start off on next season.

Agreed.

Obviously the ******* Carlton game is one we all rue and look back on. But for me the one that really gets me as much is the dog's game. We should of won that game as the dog's have been pretty abysmal all season.

BUt yes, pushing the Hawks and Pies to there limits the last few weeks not to mention belting Shitney has hopefully given us a good foundation to start off on next season.

Hawks nothing special got belted twice by Brisbane and fell over the line against us Hawks will get found out in finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh **** em. They ain't achieving s**t this year. Let their pig headed bandwagon s**t munching **** stains of supporters get excited over a 3 point win.
Four point win. Slightly less exciting. (Slightly less stains too.)

I think 1 in about 10 Hawk fans are actually decent human beings, some have contributed fairly well on Essendon threads over the last week and this is genuinely appreciated. The other 9? You wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire. Obnoxious levels currently through the roof.

They deserved to win today but that will essentially be their Grand Final this year. Yes they will play finals (yes, we won’t... which most ‘realistic’ supporters already knew before the result of this game) but that will be about it. Clarkson is a great coach with plenty of well drilled seasoned experienced players who got them over the line today. Will they be there for their next flag tilt? No.

Overall I am disappointed with how the season has panned out but apart from 2 lousy quarters in the Richmond game, we have played some very, very good football since the Carlton debacle earlier in the year. I would like to (hopefully) win at least 2 of our last 3 games for the year and start 2019 on the right note.

The fear though is that with the season now done... what will motivation/interest levels be like for the last few games? This club throws in the towel fairly easily when things aren’t going our way but I would really like to hope things have changed with this current group. St Kilda are dead set garbage but a massive struggle is on the cards against them next week if we don’t choose to respond in a way a ‘good’ side should.

Key position "power house" Michael Hurley "second best defender behind Alex Rance" getting out bodied by a first year small midfielder.....beyond laughable how highly rated he is

Key position "power house" Michael Hurley "second best defender behind Alex Rance" getting out bodied by a first year small midfielder.....beyond laughable how highly rated he is

Yeah his effort last week looks bad with injured Buddy kicking 6.4 tonight.

He tried to position himself so he could go to ground so as to miss tackle and rebound quickly as he knew not much time left. Slight misjudgement. Overrated my arse

So how does the club package up and ‘sell’ the hope again for 2019? Can the same crop that took us from 8th to 11th get us into the finals / win a final / make the top 4 / win a premiership? Or do we need another big trading season like last year?

So how does the club package up and ‘sell’ the hope again for 2019? Can the same crop that took us from 8th to 11th get us into the finals / win a final / make the top 4 / win a premiership? Or do we need another big trading season like last year?

There will be more of ‘more of playing our way’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 inside beast
1 b+ mature ball winner

My 2 best mates are mad Essendon and are bullish on Langford and Parish, I'm certainly not sold on either but i don't know them like you blokes. For me your midfield just lacks genuine grunt, for us if Tom Mitchell gets injured we are gone, that's how important genuine contested freaks are.

If you blokes had a Cripps or Mitchell without doubt you'd be top 8 and possible top 4

Dons should go hard for Wallis or libba from dogs to help out in middle. Should also teach Heppell how to kick. He can't help coughing it up atm

Hawks nothing special got belted twice by Brisbane and fell over the line against us Hawks will get found out in finals
We’ve been changing our structure and have at times had up to 5 changes in a week.

We’ve added so many new players it’s taken us up until about three weeks to settle on our structures and team.

Clarko has coached like a beast to find the way to get us up this year and playing a game plan that suits this new side. Sure we have some senior guns with experience but we’ve lost:

Lake
Gibson
Hodge
Mitchell
Birchall (injured for last two years)
Rioli
Lewis

And it’s taken all this time to find and settled on what he’s going into finals with.

We actually won’t know what we are capable of this year as we have only maintained this structure and team for three weeks.

Before that we were experimenting with players and positions all year.

I’m not trying to pump us up I’m just saying from the outside many may not have noticed that.

I think 1 in about 10 Hawk fans are actually decent human beings, some have contributed fairly well on Essendon threads over the last week and this is genuinely appreciated. The other 9? You wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire. Obnoxious levels currently through the roof.
They are a strange supporter group indeed - on big footy, and to a lesser extent in real life. It may be that they have come to football late or that they have seen a lot of success, but in stark contrast to other supporter groups most of them seem incapable of acknowledging anything outside Hawthorn. They seem to spend a lot of their time doing their best to denigrate great players from other clubs (Ablett Selwood ect.). From what I read on their board it seems that the majority of them don't actually like or appreciate the game of football. Strange bunch.

Last edited:
Worsfold said Heppell didn’t train all week and is managing groin issue and at this stage is week to week. May explain his kicking issues.

As for what we need, well a 200+ cm high leaping fully fit All Australian full forward will help. Let’s not let the Hawk posters on here think they’re ahead of us in any way. Talk about delusional

Remove this Banner Ad

Back