AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Stratton had no player to be accountable for. Joe, Smack, or an in-form Stewart there would mean he couldn’t just float across HB as he wished.

At the other end, and one that is being overlooked, our best match-up for Gunston was missing, Ambrose. Ambrose is a perfect balance of endurance, speed, and pure lock-down mentality. I can assure you that Gunston would only have kicked 2-3 at most on him yesterday.

These KP tall players are critical in the scheme of things.

In the end, your mob are just so bloody confident that your system will get you there in the end and if opposition teams can’t play on their own terms against you then you will wear them down. We had over half our team play well well below recent form which meant that we played on our terms only in bursts.
Ambrose, Dea, Gleeson and Guelfi - any one of these would have strengthened our defence and given us more flexibility to move Hooker forward.

Sick of Goddard stuffing up kick-ins in crucial games over the past couple of years. I’m not a hater; I think he’s still a generally capable and useful player, but he does overrate his own ability a bit. Is he refusing to acknowledge that he’s not young and elite anymore?

Cracking game guys and you guys never gave in and fought til the end.

Forget Daniher, McKernan loss hurt more. Was in ripping form.

Get Mitch Wallis. Will help your clearance work. You were -30 contested ball. That hurts. The contested beasts will help Raz and Saad and others on the outside.

Goddard looks cooked. That’s ok, you’ve got a heap of young half backs to bring in.

Bloody good recovery post the Carlton loss to be fair.

Should have kept Kelly over Goddard I think. He's been a soldier but time to move forward with guys like Gleeson and Francis. Even Zerk.

Think we were flat after bruising contest last week. Reckon Heppell would have sat out if it weren't for the other two late outs. He looked well off psychically.

We need either Mckernan or Daniher to beat the good teams.

Plenty to build on and be happy with. This year was only ever about growth of which there was loads. Our core is 24 still. 2020 should be our tilt. Looking forward to October and the trade table.

I still can't get over that Hurley effort. Makes me want to cry we are paying someone close to a million dollars a year to produce that.

I can never ever have confidence that in a critical part of the game he can be relied on in a final.

We need to cash in while he still has currency.

They are a strange supporter group indeed - on big footy, and to a lesser extent in real life. It may be that they have come to football late or that they have seen a lot of success, but in stark contrast to other supporter groups most of them seem incapable of acknowledging anything outside Hawthorn. They seem to spend a lot of their time doing their best to denigrate great players from other clubs (Ablett Selwood ect.). From what I read on their board it seems that the majority of them don't actually like or appreciate the game of football. Strange bunch.
I’m a firm believer in the adage “be careful who you step on during your way up, you are likely to meet them on your way down”. But there are a lot of supporters who do want to step on everyone - on all sides. We have no mortgage on nutbags. The worst thing i ever saw at the footy was a Geelong supporter - in the MCG members. If you think it’s Hawks supporters who are the only nutjobs you would be wrong. Ferals are everywhere. The internet just unleashes them.

And to be fair to hawks supporters, we have had people dancing on our grave since we won back-to-back. After the three peat it got worse. When you guys win a premiership i imagine you wil have a lot of pent-up rage because of Hird + Dank, and the baton for nutjobs will be well & truly handed over.

Last edited:
I still can't get over that Hurley effort. Makes me want to cry we are paying someone close to a million dollars a year to produce that.

I can never ever have confidence that in a critical part of the game he can be relied on in a final.

Couldn't disagree any more. Football is full of 50/50's. He was massive against Buddy and a big reason why we won. You don't trade players like that. You trade Colyers.

Reckon that's a bit harsh. Hurley did some good things on Gunston and restricted his impact when he was looking to have a big day. Hurley seems to struggle against the quick mid sized players (De Goey etc) but can excel against the bigger stars on the opposing teams.

If we trade Hurley who do we replace him with? because i see no one in our VFL side who can fill the void.

I’m a firm believer in the adage “be careful who you step on during your way up, you are likely to meet them on your way down”. But there are not a lot of supporters who do want to step on everyone - on all sides. We have no mortgage on nutbags. The worst thing i ever saw at the footy was a Geelong supporter - in the MCG members. If you think it’s Hawks supporters who are the only nutjobs you would be wrong. Ferals are everywhere. The internet just unleashes them.

And to be fair to hawks supporters, we have had people dancing on our grave since we won back-to-back. After the three peat it got worse. When you guys win a premiership i imagine you wil have a lot of pent-up rage because of Hird + Dank, and the baton for nutjobs will be well & truly handed over.

I think it is fair to say most supporters from any club will contain 50% traces of nuts :D
We are not immune to having plenty of them :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid loss in the end
Didn't walk away mad for once, but we lost that game. We had the run and we had their forward line covered for 80% of the match.

Francis on Gunston was a poor selection. Hurley really needed to take him and follow him. Far too experienced a forward. And Francis' attack is better than Hurleys at the moment. Missed Dea for this one.
Breust - left alone far too many times. Of anyone to tag at Hawthorn, he was the one. McGrath should have gone to him.

Was disappointing that hawthorn figured out our forward strategy of kick to a contest and try get the ball out the back for Fanta, Tippa, Stringer, Colyer, Bags to run on to. They just punched the ball forward to the HF line as often as they could...and it worked
Then proceeded to beat us at our own game with easy goals from 30 and less out.

When the time came for patient, slow ball movement we failed. Hawks didn't

For a 4pt game it felt like we let a 40+ win slip.

We need to sharpen the discipline and smarts up a little.

“Lost” yesterday due to:

• Margetts…why do we always get these freak? The frees to them vs the non-payment of similar things killed us at crucial times

Margetts is not a cheat for any side, just that every side remembers the howlers against their side more than the opposition. Every side dislike getting him as an umpire

The fact is, he is just incompetent. Not AFL standard at all

To those who wanted hooker moved fwd earlier is it lost on you that he kept us in it with mark after intercept mark in defence?

Everyone lauding Statts game, hooker was doing the same at the other end but had another string to his how late.

Hooker moved at the right time I think.
not going in with Stewart when they have a decent backline for the aerial contests was a poor decision.
Probably a good game for Bags to get a rest

Some positives:
-McNiece has had 2 very good games in a row. Looks a tenacious small defender.
-Saad has found an excellent defensive nous as well. Using his pace to pressure and tackle, not just burn forwards off.
-Colyer showed some signs. His ability to run and kick long is his prime weapon. Needs to use it more. He's not the best precision kick. Give him the Myers instruction to get distance covered and the ball deep into our 50
-Hooker is a gun. This gets missed so often. A rock in defence. In a better team, he'd be in AA calculations.
-Stringer finishing 2018 on a high with some confidence is going to be good for 2019. Joey, Stringer & Fantasia will be a handful for teams moving forward.
-Missed Guelf. Does those little things that others do. Missing a 1st year player is a good sign for the recruiters.
-Franga bump on Jaeger. Lovely. If we could get this kid in the middle more, he'd be a brute. Next time, line up Titch :)

Margetts is not a cheat for any side, just that every side remembers the howlers against their side more than the opposition. Every side dislike getting him as an umpire

The fact is, he is just incompetent. Not AFL standard at all

Complaining about any umpire is silly. They rarely influence the outcome of a game, if at all.

Thanks for the game lads. Lived up to the hype. You guys played well, got us on a down day and nearly snatched it. Well played!

1487.gif

If we trade Hurley who do we replace him with? because i see no one in our VFL side who can fill the void.
Francis, Ridley, BZT, Hartley, Dea, Brown - all players who can play CHB.
None of which i'd replace Hurley with.

Hurley isn't the problem
Our defensive mindset is. When he won the AA as a CHB, we had an excellent defensive setup.
Now, its very attack minded. We leave Hooker, Goddard and Hurley far too exposed so we can attack teams with pace.

Stupid loss in the end
Didn't walk away mad for once, but we lost that game. We had the run and we had their forward line covered for 80% of the match.

Francis on Gunston was a poor selection. Hurley really needed to take him and follow him. Far too experienced a forward. And Francis' attack is better than Hurleys at the moment. Missed Dea for this one.
Breust - left alone far too many times. Of anyone to tag at Hawthorn, he was the one. McGrath should have gone to him.

Was disappointing that hawthorn figured out our forward strategy of kick to a contest and try get the ball out the back for Fanta, Tippa, Stringer, Colyer, Bags to run on to. They just punched the ball forward to the HF line as often as they could...and it worked
Then proceeded to beat us at our own game with easy goals from 30 and less out.

When the time came for patient, slow ball movement we failed. Hawks didn't

For a 4pt game it felt like we let a 40+ win slip.

We need to sharpen the discipline and smarts up a little.

We only know how to play one way and that's fast all the time lols couldn't one of the coaches send out a message to players and tell them slow the game down and only go fast when it's avaible fck me dead.

And that's the problem we are fckd when Hurley and Hooker retire.
I like Ridley & Francis in the Hurley and Goddard roles moving forward
Hooker has BZT, who from all reports is a good lock down defender. And hopefully this doesn't become a pressing issue for a few years. Hoping Hooker has 3 left in him, and Hurley a few more after that.

We need to sort out our balance between defending and all out attack
Add Daniher and we can defend deeper and target him at CHF.

Also, Redman looked very capable as a body on body defender.

Get Mitch Wallis. Will help your clearance work. You were -30 contested ball. That hurts. The contested beasts will help Raz and Saad and others on the outside.

That was an out of the box occurrence and something I don't think is reflective or where both sides are at with contested ball, we just put in a really poor effort in the contest when we absolutely couldn't afford to. I think both sides are pretty middle of the road in terms of contested ball and clearances to be honest.

As always we created more than enough chances to win but made some fatal errors with players trying to do too much and not taking the percentage option, mind you with no Daniher, McKernan, Stringer having to chop out in the ruck and Hooker only swinging forward at times most of the time there wasn't a real percentage option to go to so we kind of have to play that way, which is hit or miss at the best of times.

Stratton had no player to be accountable for. Joe, Smack, or an in-form Stewart there would mean he couldn’t just float across HB as he wished.

At the other end, and one that is being overlooked, our best match-up for Gunston was missing, Ambrose. Ambrose is a perfect balance of endurance, speed, and pure lock-down mentality. I can assure you that Gunston would only have kicked 2-3 at most on him yesterday.

These KP tall players are critical in the scheme of things.

In the end, your mob are just so bloody confident that your system will get you there in the end and if opposition teams can’t play on their own terms against you then you will wear them down. We had over half our team play well well below recent form which meant that we played on our terms only in bursts.

You're probably right on a lot of counts but we add Sicily and we get a player twice as good playing Stratts role. It's all swings and roundabouts mate, for one reason or another we got you twice this year, hopefully AFL schedules 2 more next year, rivalry deserves 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back