4 Rounds in, everyone's lost.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
I've learnt on thing this round through..

These new rules have done sweat * all to increase goal scoring! The game is at its messes its ever been, Coaches are still coaching to not lose rather than to win and relying on opposition mistakes to counter attack. ffs I watched Adelaide kicking it backwards between themselves two goals down with 5mins to go! Where are the balls to take a risk and go for the win instead of trying to look for a loose man? God awful! That whole match was God awful to be honest through. Commentators sproking how good the 666 rule has been because it creates space, yeah for about 3secs, what a load of crap! No amount of rule changes is gonna fix this rubbish! The coaches are the only ones that can fix it by actually trying to win not by trying to not lose!

Sure Steve Hocking and Dilly Gill are pleased with themselves.

/rant

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong

These new rules have done sweat **** all to increase goal scoring! The game is at its messes its ever been, Coaches are still coaching to not lose rather than to win and relying on opposition mistakes to counter attack. ffs I watched Adelaide kicking it backwards between themselves two goals down with 5mins to go! Where are the balls to take a risk and go for the win instead of trying to look for a loose man? God awful! That whole match was God awful to be honest through. Commentators sproking how good the 666 rule has been because it creates space, yeah for about 3secs, what a load of crap! No amount of rule changes is gonna fix this rubbish! The coaches are the only ones that can fix it by actually trying to win not by trying to not lose!

/rant

I think part of the problem is that players are too scared to take a risk; teams have gotten so good at turn overs now players are trained to go down the line or try for a switch.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

These new rules have done sweat **** all to increase goal scoring! The game is at its messes its ever been, Coaches are still coaching to not lose rather than to win and relying on opposition mistakes to counter attack. ffs I watched Adelaide kicking it backwards between themselves two goals down with 5mins to go! Where are the balls to take a risk and go for the win instead of trying to look for a loose man? God awful! That whole match was God awful to be honest through. Commentators sproking how good the 666 rule has been because it creates space, yeah for about 3secs, what a load of crap! No amount of rule changes is gonna fix this rubbish! The coaches are the only ones that can fix it by actually trying to win not by trying to not lose!

/rant

The 6-6-6 is a great change. More goals are kicked from centre bounces now but it was never purely about more goals.

I've watched all of two matches and half of two others this round and they've all been very different games.

Several teams this year seem to be holding possession and shifting back and forth across half back to scramble the zone before either chipping it forward or hitting a 45 and running it. Other teams are still playing more direct and rely on contest wins / forcing stoppages etc and a couple still playing a counter attack/sling shot style. I didn't watch the crows game but 5 minutes is plenty of time to score two goals and even more so with 6-6-6

there are going to be uglier and prettier games, messier and cleaner games, congested and open games, slower and faster games. The recommended best way of engaging is just enjoy the diversity on offer.

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was having fun playing the grammar and English game with this post, then re-read and realised the joke was in fact on me! Curse you Atomboy!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide

These new rules have done sweat **** all to increase goal scoring! The game is at its messes its ever been, Coaches are still coaching to not lose rather than to win and relying on opposition mistakes to counter attack. ffs I watched Adelaide kicking it backwards between themselves two goals down with 5mins to go! Where are the balls to take a risk and go for the win instead of trying to look for a loose man? God awful! That whole match was God awful to be honest through. Commentators sproking how good the 666 rule has been because it creates space, yeah for about 3secs, what a load of crap! No amount of rule changes is gonna fix this rubbish! The coaches are the only ones that can fix it by actually trying to win not by trying to not

/rant

Agree with this. The standard of play, particularly goal kicking is the poorest in years.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong

/rant
yep it cant be that hard. catch it, kick it and run like all fook, catch it ,kick it run like all fook(repeat). simple game plan would get results

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m Happy with my mob so far

Brisbane, pies gws Freo

3-1 start with port at home

I’ll take that ...few guys we’re underdone coming in

Happy days

Agree the 6-6-6 and longer kick out zine has done zilch really

I would change one thing and that’s how percentage is calculated ....just go on points scored not for and against

In other words whatever you average is your % ...it would possibly get teams still to attack ...

But 6-6-6...lol once the ball is bounced it’s back to what we had in 3 seconds

It’s not bad but it just hasn’t achieved anything major

The rule I would I consider ....if you kick the ball Backwards in your defensive half it’s play on ..no mark ...

It would force teams to kick forwards more ....

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers

/rant
It seems to me with no data to hand that the rolling mauls have reduced and the pressure is extreme at the areas immediately around where the ball is causing fumbles, and bumbles, to a level I can't recall. Spaces are getting filled better than ever.

I wonder if at the end of the day, 16 players afield is a direct and simple way to open up the game, if that is what they want.

Personally I preferred the high score glory year(s) of 2017!

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
It seems to me with no data to hand that the rolling mauls have reduced and the pressure is extreme at the areas immediately around where the ball is causing fumbles, and bumbles, to a level I can't recall. Spaces are getting filled better than ever.

I wonder if at the end of the day, 16 players afield is a direct and simple way to open up the game, if that is what they want.

Personally I preferred the high score glory year(s) of 2017!

Perceived pressure man! that's what it is the game is so compact that players just panic whenever they get the ball! So they struggle to dispose correctly. Not that the umpires punish the incorrect disposal anyway, the amount of throws or in the backs I've notice in every game is astonishing. Highest its ever been.

two ways to solve this, either Coaches stop copying each others game plan and come up with something unique and different to counter this rubbish (not gonna happen because the coaches are the ones under the most pressure for results)

Or dramatically reduce the interchange or get rid of it completely and only have four substitutes once your off you are off can't come back! that way we'll get a more open game and a more tactical one as well (coaches will actually have to coach.) instead of just sending messages.
The interchange is the main reason we have the game we have today because the payers are so fit they can sustain the pressure game plan. Seeing all 36 players on one side of the ground just isn't a good look to me! All in the hope that one team can course a pressured turnover in order to get an uncontested sneaky goal over the top. It's not how I grow up loving the game!

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Perceived pressure man! that's what it is the game is so compact that players just panic whenever they get the ball! So they struggle to dispose correctly. Not that the umpires punish the incorrect disposal anyway, the amount of throws or in the backs I've notice in every game is astonishing. Highest its ever been.

two ways to solve this, either Coaches stop copying each others game plan and come up with something unique and different to counter this rubbish (not gonna happen because the coaches are the ones under the most pressure for results)

Or dramatically reduce the interchange or get rid of it completely and only have four substitutes once your off you are off can't come back! that way we'll get a more open game and a more tactical one as well (coaches will actually have to coach.) instead of just sending messages.
The interchange is the main reason we have the game we have today because the payers are so fit they can sustain the pressure game plan. Seeing all 36 players on one side of the ground just isn't a good look to me! All in the hope that one team can course a pressured turnover in order to get an uncontested sneaky goal over the top. It's not how I grow up loving the game!
You may well be right abt reducing rotates to zero. Though, rotations have been reduced quite a bit already and there is no improvement that I can see.

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
Definitely feels like it atm. Found it a bit fun you can make numerous win chains to prove a point.

For example:
Brisbane beat West Coast
West Coast beat GWS
GWS beat Essendon
Essendon beat Brisbane

EDIT: My point being towards my Essendon supporting father we’re still better

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Obviously all these teams enjoy an approximately 8 goal home ground advantage. Simples!

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
You may well be right abt reducing rotates to zero. Though, rotations have been reduced quite a bit already and there is no improvement that I can see.

The AFL haven't reduced it enough to take a major effect, All the clubs have done is made the players even fitter, (probably why their are more injuries)
Look I don't think we're gonna go back to substitutions because the coaches will kick up a massive stink. The AFL will come out with some bogus excuses that it will create more injuries blah blah blah.. to support the coaches anyway.

Maybe reduce the bench back to three and the interchange down to ten a quarter or something I don't know but this cloggy mess has to stop! It isn't a good look for the game.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I think the game has looked better thus far this season. From the games I've seen, the rolling mauls haven't been as noticeable. Feels like the ball is traveling around the ground a lot more. Easier on the eye.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've noticed this in previous years...

I remember after St Kilda's Grand Final runs, they were expected to bottom out.. and were like 4-0 or something to start the season on top of the ladder and everyone was surprised... they ended up finishing bottom 8. Gold Coast did the same thing after Ablett left. Pretty sure they were 5-0 or something and then dropped off the cliff.... and the famous North Melbourne season of being 9-0 and finishing the season 3-10 or some such nonsense.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the rule changes teams are potentially adjusting to. Order will be restored soon enough... Brisabane and Freo will plummet down the ladder. Richmond/Collingwood/Melbourne/Essendon will fly up, North Melbourne and Adelaide will creep up to bottom half of the 8 and Port will fall down too.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL haven't reduced it enough to take a major effect, All the clubs have done is made the players even fitter, (probably why their are more injuries)
Look I don't think we've gonna go back to substitutions because the coaches will kick up a massive stink. The AFL will come out with some bogus excuses that it will create more injuries blah blah blah.. to support the coaches anyway.

Maybe reduce the bench back to three and the interchange down to ten a quarter or something I don't know but this cloggy mess has to stop! It isn't a good look for the game.

I like the idea of a 3 man bench with 1 substitution that can be brought on at quarter or half time only. The reason is the early injury... It can be devastating for any team and many times results in that team running out of legs in the 4th. Having a man as a sub would nullify this, but it would need to be fair so that injuries aren't faked. It would have to be that either team can bring on the sub, at the quarter end, regardless of injury or not. And I would not make the sub available after half time... to prevent that super sub rubbish of bringing on a fast runner who is rested like what was happening 5 years ago.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Every ******* year - usually between rounds 3 and 10, the season is declared ‘the most even ever!’

It’s like mass amnesia hits everyone and suddenly we have to pretend that middle of the road sides winning a few games (as they do) equates to them being some kind of ‘contender’.

Stop it.

At the end of the H&A there will be at most 4 sides that have any chance to actually win the flag, probably less.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m Happy with my mob so far

Brisbane, pies gws Freo

3-1 start with port at home

I’ll take that ...few guys we’re underdone coming in

Happy days

Agree the 6-6-6 and longer kick out zine has done zilch really

I would change one thing and that’s how percentage is calculated ....just go on points scored not for and against

In other words whatever you average is your % ...it would possibly get teams still to attack ...

But 6-6-6...lol once the ball is bounced it’s back to what we had in 3 seconds

It’s not bad but it just hasn’t achieved anything major

The rule I would I consider ....if you kick the ball Backwards in your defensive half it’s play on ..no mark ...

It would force teams to kick forwards more ....

If they wanted real change they should of made it 6-6-6 at every stoppage not just at centre bounces. No warnings and no waiting for setup if you are out of position when the ball is thrown up or bounced bad luck free kick.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I like the idea of a 3 man bench with 1 substitution that can be brought on at quarter or half time only. The reason is the early injury... It can be devastating for any team and many times results in that team running out of legs in the 4th. Having a man as a sub would nullify this, but it would need to be fair so that injuries aren't faked. It would have to be that either team can bring on the sub, at the quarter end, regardless of injury or not. And I would not make the sub available after half time... to prevent that super sub rubbish of bringing on a fast runner who is rested like what was happening 5 years ago.

The sub rule was s**t.

Back