Player Watch #4 Ryan Clarke - Welcome to Sydney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Sydney
Moderator #179
Based purely on output he deserves a spell in the 2s until he can show some composure & cleanliness.

He seems rushed, panicked & just sloppy.

I was a fan of getting him but have been disappointed thus far.

Hope he turns it around.

RW

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Sydney
From what I've seen so far, his disposal isn't that great even at NEAFL level.

The only way I can see him making it is as a tagger, perhaps releasing Hewett to play a more attacking role.

J_Moore

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
From what I've seen so far, his disposal isn't that great even at NEAFL level.

The only way I can see him making it is as a tagger, perhaps releasing some Hewett to play a more attacking role.
Lacks the strength and size to tag effectively, I think.

Edit: Actually looked up his numbers. He’s taller and heavier than i realised. He’s just seemed smallish to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Dunno why people are shitting on a kid who only cost us pick 61. Even if he never plays AFL level again he took a nothing spot on our list. His NEAFL form was solid, backing him up l to keep improving
It may have cost us nothing to get him on the list, but if he is say selected and then plays with a lack of composure or skill or awareness, then he's costing us. He's costing us a spot in the best 22 that could go to someone who offers more. So it's not like we can just be like, oh well, Clarke didn't cost us anything so no harm done!

BloodySwan

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
It may have cost us nothing to get him on the list, but if he is say selected and then plays with a lack of composure or skill or awareness, then he's costing us. He's costing us a spot in the best 22 that could go to someone who offers more. So it's not like we can just be like, oh well, Clarke didn't cost us anything so no harm done!
No player costs a spot in the best 22.... He's earned his call ups

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Playing as a negating type is the only way I can see Clarke becoming a good player. He’s the perfect type for it because his endurance means he should be able to stick a tag all game and run with the best, plus it means he can focus more on being a hard nut than a ball-winner.

But the real benefit would be freeing Hewett up, which should happen anyway with or without Clarke IMO.

AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure if I imagined it or not, but there seemed a couple of times when another Swans player seemed reluctant to give him the ball when he was the outlet player at the back of a pack. That being said, he also seemed to kick to his limitations more than in previous games.

He was an integral cog to us dismantling North Melbourne and he should rightly be proud of the job he did on Higgins. Like others have posted, hopefully this frees Hewett up a bit.

S120

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Looks like he could take the Ben Jacobs route to becoming a regular senior player.

With that said, I'm not sure a developing side like what we have right now has a lot of use week in and week out for a tagging player. If we were competing as a finals side, I could absolutely see him staying in. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Clarke went out again soon.

AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, NSW
Covered 17.3km last night. If the records are to be believed (since around 2017) it was the equal 12th highest since they started recording the stat (at least visibly to the supporters).
And played 96% time on ground. Certainly his fitness can not come into question

Top Bottom