Delisted #4 Ryan 'The Clamps' Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

uITEbjYC.jpg

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:
What am I looking at here?
Top stats are Sidebottom's

Below are Clarke's

For context Sidebottom had almost 30 the last three weeks and with most of his disposals damaging and high in score involvements

Did an solid job on Gaff who got away a little in the last quarter but by that time Clarke hadn’t come off for 2.5 quarters (according to Longmire) and according to the Tracker covered 16.9km which is just outside the Top 25 distances of all time.

Looks like he’s been told or told himself to limit himself to handballs where possible and I felt he was quite effective with them in close (well maybe except for that one hospital handball to Hewett)

Agreed. He still seems a little hesitant around contact but he runs hard and tries to keep within his limits. Jones, Kennedy, Cunningham and Hayward are gonna be gunning for a spot in the 22 soon enough so Clarke will likely be under pressure soon. He's very limited, but good on him for making a good fist of his role.

Agreed. He still seems a little hesitant around contact but he runs hard and tries to keep within his limits. Jones, Kennedy, Cunningham and Hayward are gonna be gunning for a spot in the 22 soon enough so Clarke will likely be under pressure soon. He's very limited, but good on him for making a good fist of his role.

The thing is though that the Swans need a tagger, and if Hewett is no longer our tagger then that means it is Clarke, so Clarke makes the team if Longmire wants to negate one of the opposition midfielders.

The thing is though that the Swans need a tagger, and if Hewett is no longer our tagger then that means it is Clarke, so Clarke makes the team if Longmire wants to negate one of the opposition midfielders.

Cunningham has tagged on occasion and could probably do it.

Cunningham has tagged on occasion and could probably do it.

I would rather Cunningham not do it as he can be quite attacking when he is allowed to be. Clarke's strengths are his strength, his competitiveness and his endurance running which is perfect for tagging. He is a good handballer in tight situations too (for the most part)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knows how to put his team mates under pressure that’s for sure.

His awareness isn’t up to it imo
I think you've hit the nail on the head with it being about awareness. Doesn't seem to know what's around him and just as importantly, what's around the teammate he is passing to (either by hand or foot). But he's doing a great job of negating his direct opponent, so at least he's still playing a role.

I'm not a fan but in fairness he's done a great job today, Gaffs 28 disposals were not damaging at all and at no stage today was Gaff a threat. credit where it's due.

Not to mention Clarke did not get a break in the last 2 and a half quarters, and I am willing to bet Gaff did get time on the interchange bench.

kept gaff to 28

might of got to 30 if Clarke didn't tag

Gaff got all of his touches when the game was over.

He had around 11 at half time, and his disposal was putrid.

I think he is one of the toughest players on our list. The kid takes some heavy hits & gets up.
I'm enjoying watching him playing his role for the team, knowing full well he has a long way to go with his skills but the club will work on that with him.

I'm not a fan but in fairness he's done a great job today, Gaffs 28 disposals were not damaging at all and at no stage today was Gaff a threat. credit where it's due.
He's actually done the job in each of the last 3 weeks against the top 3 teams. Now I'm looking forward to watching him continue against the best ball winners in every team.
Don't forget Brett Kirk was a very raw youngster who eventually found his confidence in ball use on the back of his great defensive stopping of opponents. Ryan's confidence will build & so will his awareness, just from following the game's best ball winners around.
He'll have a howler here & there but I'm sure his team mates won't write him off.

Probably not.

Horse loves a tagger though, and it would be hard to make Hewett tag again at this point even with Jones and JPK in the guts too.

He’s had some really terrible touches tonight, but he’s done his tagging job so far and had a few useful touches as well. Game has been more than just his worst moments.

They were some pretty bad moments though, my god.

Haha yer its like his worst is very bad and it really stands out Kennedy gave him a huge spray, i dont even think the opposition know where his handballs are going to go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back