Jul 9, 2015
Αρκαδία
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers, Gold City Royals

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone see the footage in the rooms at HT? Kirk mentoring Clarke as a tagger.
Clarke is a great tagger. Got an excellent tank, is hard at it, and is pretty good at finding his own ball too so he isn't a completely negating tagger.

I hope in 2021 Hewett is released from the tagging role and Clarke is made our full time tagger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kapers

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Hopefully his last game at the club this week

Run with roles are so 2005, he cant actually kick or handball
At least your consistent, I'll give you that.

I wish there was a reaction that said, "I really like most of your opinions, and respect you as a poster, but I think this is a really bad take", but alas I'll have to make do with the disagree button.

Kapers

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Agreed. Not sure why people want him in the best 22 . I'd rather Rowbottom or Hewitt, tbh.
I don't think most are even saying he'll always be best 22. Imo he's really good depth in that he'll always play his heart out, and we are stupid weak in the mids. Maybe once we're a good team then we can talk about moving him on.

The King!

Chosen One
Aug 3, 2004
Backwater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
At least your consistent, I'll give you that.

I wish there was a reaction that said, "I really like most of your opinions, and respect you as a poster, but I think this is a really bad take", but alas I'll have to make do with the disagree button.

be boring as bat sh*t if we all agreed

the disagree button does that surely, well maybe not the like you stuff, but i didnt take it as an attack :p just that we disagree

i would say clarke has battled hard when he played, but if people were fit theres no spot for him, let alone with drafting better kids etc

just my view,

Kapers

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
be boring as bat sh*t if we all agreed

the disagree button does that surely, well maybe not the like you stuff, but i didnt take it as an attack :p just that we disagree

i would say clarke has battled hard when he played, but if people were fit theres no spot for him, let alone with drafting better kids etc

just my view,
I don't disagree at all with that, I think at best he is a 26-28th best player in the team, maybe you bring him in to rest a mid and he'll take a tagging role.

He doesn't get a spot in any of the top 5, and probably doesn't get a spot in many uninjured teams.

dazedjosh

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Teams win premierships with tireless, hard-running scrappers like Clarke. See:

2005: Paul Bevan
2012: Craig Bird

At 23, still has improvement in him & with some further development, can readily be best XXII.

OK - now I've said that, you may commence the ceremonial hurling of rotten tomatoes.
I like Clarke, I was on the fence about him at the start of the year, and I don't think he'll ever be a 22 game a season player in a premiership team, but I think he can be a 15 game a season role player who works really hard and doesn't let the team down. The sort of player who could come in handy in a finals campaign as well with his tagging ability. No tomatoes thrown by me, I hope we re-sign him.

Top Bottom