Delisted #4 Ryan 'The Clamps' Clarke

uITEbjYC.jpg

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:
Ryan does have great stamina and his almost Rugby-like tackles sure do stick.
Hopefully his confidence re disposals improves.

From Longmire's press conference today - so coaches are pleased
Longmire on Ryan Clarke: he has been able to play a role for us. He’s added midfield depth and he’s done a disciplined job over the last few weeks. Particularly with Kennedy and Jones out he’s been beneficial for us.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Longmire on Ryan Clarke: he has been able to play a role for us. He’s added midfield depth and he’s done a disciplined job over the last few weeks. Particularly with Kennedy and Jones out he’s been beneficial for us.
Pros obviously outweigh the cons at the moment. Though I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that he needs to improve his disposal.

Skystyler

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2007
Austinmer
AFL Club
Sydney

Damned by faint praise.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Damned by faint praise.

It did sound a little bit like ‘now they’re back his services are no longer required’.

I do wonder why Fox couldn’t play a similar role. Is also a good runner and strong tackler and his skills are tidier.

It did sound a little bit like ‘now they’re back his services are no longer required’.

I do wonder why Fox couldn’t play a similar role. Is also a good runner and strong tackler and his skills are tidier.

This.

To me it comes down to form. Clarke was in the NEAFL, and if we all flash our minds back, his disposal and awareness was just as glaring an issue there as it has been in the past few weeks. He was named an emergency against the Kangaroos, so couldn't crack in to the youngest Swans team we fielded in years, but got a chance when JPK went out. He took that chance to prove his worth as a run-with player, and credit to him he's now considered a better player than he was four or five weeks ago, when he was perceived to be just an average mid with poor disposal. But it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that a player who couldn't even show poise at reserves level can't do it at AFL level.

Fox has the reserves form that Clarke didn't have though. He was silky and composed on the weekend, and IMO we can't have two negating players running through our midfield, so if it's between Fox and Clarke, I would go with Fox every day of the week (at this stage.)

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

Fox doesn't find the ball as much in the seniors from what I've seen.
Coming off the injury so may get back in at Clark's expense.

Not a fan of Clarke but just watched the game this morning and don't see why the witch hunt has started now. He was just average.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not a fan of Clarke but just watched the game this morning and don't see why the witch hunt has started now. He was just average.

I think it’s because he had a bunch of bad touches the first 1.5 quarters which really stood out when they happened, but now with the benefit of knowing how the game panned put you realise actually weren’t that bad or game-changing.

Mistakes always seem that much worse in the heat of the moment which is exactly why watching a replay in the cold light of day is important.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
why the witch hunt has started now.

Because we have started winning & now the next thing to do is find a whipping boy.
Now it's becoming a reality that Horse more than likely will leave for big money & those that wanted him gone are starting to reconcile on here that his coaching performances are considerably better now.
Go F* K *n figure. We are still 14th last time I looked so I say move him on, freshen up the place with Brad Scott.
I'll smile.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Because we have started winning & now the next thing to do is find a whipping boy.
Now it's becoming a reality that Horse more than likely will leave for big money & those that wanted him gone are starting to reconcile on here that his coaching performances are considerably better now.
Go F* K *n figure. We are still 14th last time I looked so I say move him on, freshen up the place with Brad Scott.
I'll smile.

Get Ross Lyon. Attacking, developing players or winning grand finals isn’t a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What serious why??

I think he is astute and tough minded. The Saints over achieved with the list he had and I think Freo similarly over achieved when he got there and he has done a pretty good rebuild.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I think he is astute and tough minded. The Saints over achieved with the list he had and I think Freo similarly over achieved when he got there and he has done a pretty good rebuild.
I also think people who say he only coaches defensive sides haven't watched a Freo game this year. They've been building into their current squad and it's starting to click

He is rather terrible at developing young players though.

I think that is a common but unreasonable knock on him. Had he not applied at the last moment for the Saints job, he would have coached the Bloods and still be with us. I suspect we would have more premierships in the cabinet.

Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
When he started coughing up the ball in the second quater i thought we seriously can't have this guy in our team.. It possibly spread through the team because we lost our s**t.. Then in the second half reminded me why Horse plays him, his hardness, tackling, application etc. Hopefully he has a breakout confidence game soon where he backs himself with the footy.

I think that is a common but unreasonable knock on him. Had he not applied at the last moment for the Saints job, he would have coached the Bloods and still be with us. I suspect we would have more premierships in the cabinet.
Oh yes because he's done such a magnificent job of that at his previous clubs.

Back