Delisted #4 Ryan 'The Clamps' Clarke

uITEbjYC.jpg

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:
He has time on his side ?
Unless he is still under 10 he will run out of time to develop
I’m not saying he’s going to make the grade, in fact if I were going to bet I’d put my money on him not being on the list beyond this contract.

But he’s young in the sense that Menzel and Fox are not and Towers before them were not. So just on that basis there’s more upside for him. At 22 years old, Ben McGlynn was at Hawthorn not getting a game.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
When they signed Lynch, a few players took a pay cut - Reiwald definitely did, can't remember who else, maybe Cotchin amongst others, maybe Dusty

I’m not saying he’s going to make the grade, in fact if I were going to bet I’d put my money on him not being on the list beyond this contract.

But he’s young in the sense that Menzel and Fox are not and Towers before them were not. So just on that basis there’s more upside for him. At 22 years old, Ben McGlynn was at Hawthorn not getting a game.

How were hawthorn going when mcglynn was there though?

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Buddy probably on similar to dusty and richmond aren’t playing guys like clarke
Different stage of team development. If you don’t rate him that’s fine but there hasn’t been any footy played since his last game so at least let a player get through pre season & get the arse by the club.
I’ll back him to improve at his age.

His game against GWS suggests he can play. Seems to be all confidence from him.

As a reminder;
26 disposals at 76%, 4 tackles, 3 Marks, 5 clearances, 8 inside 50, 2 rebound 50, 1 goal

Hopefully he can believe in himself.
Picking and choosing abit mate

What about his games that were out right garbage and didn’t looked neafl standard

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
When they signed Lynch, a few players took a pay cut - Reiwald definitely did, can't remember who else, maybe Cotchin amongst others, maybe Dusty

That is the same BS that hawthorn peddled. We just keep signing stars but manage to stay below cap because we all take pay cuts. BS........don't believe that for one second. Cap rotting more likely

What about his games that were out right garbage and didn’t looked neafl standard
To be fair they are constantly brought up on here. He's constantly criticised and it's only fair that his good games also get mentioned IMO.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

For the first half of his year I agree. He definitely improved significantly as the year went on. I think he showed enough to suggest he could make something of himself at this level (but could also crash and burn).

His first 7 games this year he did not get more than 20 disposals.

His last 7 games he had over 20 6 times.

I’d like to see him kick the ball quite a bit flatter so I hope they’re working on that.

Bottom line is he has one year to demonstrate he can achieve roughly 20 possessions as a minimum standard, if he can do that then he’ll have a future at the club. Even better if he can do it while tagging

It’s what you do with them 20 that matters
Gets 20 each week and approx. 4 score involvements (which is his average from the last 7 games) I'd take it

Somewhere earlier I said I wanted Clarke to share a house with Dawson. The idea was that over the off season, Dawson would help repair Clarke's kicking action. Maybe this has happened and the pair went for runs every day as well.

Hopefully Dawson's efforts in the 2km Time trial are mirrored by an improved Clarke kicking action.

It's the pre season. He's one of our 40 odd players on the list & cost not much.
No games to get upset about but yet he is getting worse week by week in the pre season.:rolleyes:

Waaaahhh. I did not say that.

I'm looking forward to his improvement.

Is his kicking any better?

Nope. He runs hard and is a fair tagger. He reads the play well enough to find the ball. Unhappily he lacks the judgement and skills (inc by foot) to distribute it to the team's advantage.

That said we'd trade him for Daniher provided the Dons gave us a 2nd rounder as well.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
He runs hard and is a fair tagger. He reads the play well enough to find the ball. Unhappily he lacks the judgement and skills (inc by foot) to distribute it to the team's advantage.

Reads like his brother.

I don't know if Ryan influenced Dylan or if both were taught by their father.

Someone in that famly's to blame for their kicking.

Back