Delisted #4 Ryan 'The Clamps' Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

uITEbjYC.jpg

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:
He is never gonna get 3 votes in a game, he is never gonna kick a bag and is going to provide some moments of "oh fu** off Clarke" but cannot deny his effort
Just to expand on this:
- 3rd for the Swans in metres gained
- 3rd for the Swans with TOG
- 3rd for tackles
- 1st for clearances

If he can hit a few more targets, particularly inside 50, he will be a lot better

90% time on ground and still going strong in the last quarter.

I think his fitness is an advantage. In the last quarter when everyone is tiring, it is useful to have a midfielder capable of getting to each contest and still able to have an impact. It balances us out having a few young players who can fade in and out of the game.

90% time on ground and still going strong in the last quarter.

I think his fitness is an advantage. In the last quarter when everyone is tiring, it is useful to have a midfielder capable of getting to each contest and still able to have an impact. It balances us out having a few young players who can fade in and out of the game.

Enormous tank.

I don't expect his skills to ever be good. I expect he's about as good as he'll ever be right now. Tackles like a demon, never stops running and working and can be relied upon to win a few quick kick clearances and not much else by foot. Knows when to handball off to a better kick though.

I'm growing more affection for Clarke by the week despite his for shoddy disposal. I'm picking him every week until someone works harder than him or shows significantly better skill to work with.

I don't expect his skills to ever be good. I expect he's about as good as he'll ever be right now. Tackles like a demon, never stops running and working and can be relied upon to win a few quick kick clearances and not much else by foot. Knows when to handball off to a better kick though.

I'm growing more affection for Clarke by the week despite his for shoddy disposal. I'm picking him every week until someone works harder than him or shows significantly better skill to work with.
Someone said it in the game day thread and it was brilliant. Would love to merge him and Florrent

Just to expand on this:
- 3rd for the Swans in metres gained
- 3rd for the Swans with TOG
- 3rd for tackles
- 1st for clearances

If he can hit a few more targets, particularly inside 50, he will be a lot better
That's him on the left.
He's my project player of the moment.
Much like Towers was. I like players that may not have all the skills required to be elite, but have a bit of ticker no matter what is thrown at them. Our club has been full of them these last 20 years.
We should let them develop into great clubmen for us. It's important for our club.

I like players that may not have all the skills required to be elite, but have a bit of ticker no matter what is thrown at them.
Nope, you bag Callum Sinclair constantly

Nope, you bag Callum Sinclair constantly
Like I said, I like players that may not have all the skills required to be elite, but have a bit of ticker no matter what is thrown at them.
We brought him to our club in an exchange for Jetta ($400,000 the discussed amount) to fix our ruck issues.
He is statistically the worst No 1 hit out to advantage ruckman in the AFL for the last few years, when he has been our number one ruckman.
He tries hard but is only there because he is big & is naturally a forward, apparently, yet when given a free kick 30 M in front of goal with the opportunity to ice the game, he missed it. So I ask the question. Is he a ruckman? No, not from what attempts I saw yesterday when he was looking at his opponent first rather than the ball. Is he a forward? The jury's still out on that apparently. I say no.

Does he have a bit of ticker? I guess so at times but $400,000 (& perhaps more) should get you that no problem.

The bloke most likely to fit my description someone that may not have all the skills required to be elite, but have a bit of ticker no matter what is thrown at them, is Knoll.
Cheap as chips & an experiment in the ruck that may end up sucking but could turn out like Pyke.
Callum is what he is at his age.

What are your thoughts on Clarke's continuous hard efforts?
In case you missed him, he's that bloke on the left.
I like him & the way he goes about it most of the time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said, I like players that may not have all the skills required to be elite, but have a bit of ticker no matter what is thrown at them.
We brought him to our club in an exchange for Jetta ($400,000 the discussed amount) to fix our ruck issues.
He is statistically the worst No 1 hit out to advantage ruckman in the AFL for the last few years, when he has been our number one ruckman.
He tries hard but is only there because he is big & is naturally a forward, apparently, yet when given a free kick 30 M in front of goal with the opportunity to ice the game, he missed it. So I ask the question. Is he a ruckman? No, not from what attempts I saw yesterday when he was looking at his opponent first rather than the ball. Is he a forward? The jury's still out on that apparently. I say no.

Does he have a bit of ticker? I guess so at times but $400,000 (& perhaps more) should get you that no problem.

The bloke most likely to fit my description someone that may not have all the skills required to be elite, but have a bit of ticker no matter what is thrown at them, is Knoll.
Cheap as chips & an experiment in the ruck that may end up sucking but could turn out like Pyke.
Callum is what he is at his age.

What are your thoughts on Clarke's continuous hard efforts?
In case you missed him, he's that bloke on the left.
I like him & the way he goes about it most of the time

You talk like Clarke is on apprenticeship wages

you like project players perhaps?

Sounds like JPK.
Not to knock Clarke or JPK but JPK's hack kicks in the middle are poor but his use of it around the ground in space is better. I would rather JPK kicking it I50 as opposed to Clarke's 2 I50s that went straight to Hawks players. JPK is smarter with it.

Could be an age and confidence thing. Right now, am more than happy with Clarke as a run with type and he does his role. Might need to learn his limits and play within them

People forget that team lists need to have 40 odd players.
If Clarke is player number 26-30 on our list when fully fit then we are doing ok.

Agreed. Every team needs 30 players who are all capable of playing at an AFL level, and like him or not (I quite like how Clarke goes about it) he is in the top 30 players on our list. You don't delist your top 30 players, the players you delist are in the 31 to 44 range.

Clarke may not be best 22, but I am comfortable with him coming in after a few injuries and knowing he will do a pretty good job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back