Delisted #4 Ryan 'The Clamps' Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

uITEbjYC.jpg

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:
Anyone see the footage in the rooms at HT? Kirk mentoring Clarke as a tagger.

Clarke is a great tagger. Got an excellent tank, is hard at it, and is pretty good at finding his own ball too so he isn't a completely negating tagger.

I hope in 2021 Hewett is released from the tagging role and Clarke is made our full time tagger.

Anyone see the footage in the rooms at HT? Kirk mentoring Clarke as a tagger.
Couldn't imagine a better mentor

Kirk was a late bloomer as well. If Clarke can replicate Kirk's tagging ability along with his own nous to finding the ball he'd be an absolute asset

Last edited:

To me Clarke should be our tagger for the next 8 years or so. He is very good at it.

He gives away very little free kicks doing it too...
In fact he has 8 frees FOR and 5 against this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully his last game at the club this week

Run with roles are so 2005, he cant actually kick or handball
At least your consistent, I'll give you that.

I wish there was a reaction that said, "I really like most of your opinions, and respect you as a poster, but I think this is a really bad take", but alas I'll have to make do with the disagree button.

Agreed. Not sure why people want him in the best 22 . I'd rather Rowbottom or Hewitt, tbh.
I don't think most are even saying he'll always be best 22. Imo he's really good depth in that he'll always play his heart out, and we are stupid weak in the mids. Maybe once we're a good team then we can talk about moving him on.

At least your consistent, I'll give you that.

I wish there was a reaction that said, "I really like most of your opinions, and respect you as a poster, but I think this is a really bad take", but alas I'll have to make do with the disagree button.

be boring as bat s**t if we all agreed

the disagree button does that surely, well maybe not the like you stuff, but i didnt take it as an attack :p just that we disagree

i would say clarke has battled hard when he played, but if people were fit theres no spot for him, let alone with drafting better kids etc

just my view,

Agreed. Not sure why people want him in the best 22 . I'd rather Rowbottom or Hewitt, tbh.

he tries hard, (cant deny that) so people like him

but if heeney hewett return and others whys Clarke playing, he can do the odd run with job, not even that often lets be real,

be boring as bat sh*t if we all agreed

the disagree button does that surely, well maybe not the like you stuff, but i didnt take it as an attack :p just that we disagree

i would say clarke has battled hard when he played, but if people were fit theres no spot for him, let alone with drafting better kids etc

just my view,
I don't disagree at all with that, I think at best he is a 26-28th best player in the team, maybe you bring him in to rest a mid and he'll take a tagging role.

He doesn't get a spot in any of the top 5, and probably doesn't get a spot in many uninjured teams.

Teams win premierships with tireless, hard-running scrappers like Clarke. See:

2005: Paul Bevan
2012: Craig Bird

At 23, still has improvement in him & with some further development, can readily be best XXII.

OK - now I've said that, you may commence the ceremonial hurling of rotten tomatoes.

I like Clarke, I was on the fence about him at the start of the year, and I don't think he'll ever be a 22 game a season player in a premiership team, but I think he can be a 15 game a season role player who works really hard and doesn't let the team down. The sort of player who could come in handy in a finals campaign as well with his tagging ability. No tomatoes thrown by me, I hope we re-sign him.

Really really rapt for him. He played his role to perfection last night and 100% deserves to keep his spot. He seems like a great clubman, perhaps symbolised by how stoked he was for the team the two weeks where he was the unused injury sub. I hope he can back it up and become an asset for us, because there's few players on the list that deserve it more.

100% disposal efficiency!

was solid, but the two goals inflate things
Same could be said for literally every forward. 'Oh you kicked 6 goals from 6 touches? Well you wouldn't have had a touch if you didn't kick a goal.'

You're a harsh marker, Kingy. I'd say a defensive forward shutting down his direct opponent and hitting the scoreboard, getting double digit possessions and not wasting a single one is better than "solid".

Really really rapt for him. He played his role to perfection last night and 100% deserves to keep his spot. He seems like a great clubman, perhaps symbolised by how stoked he was for the team the two weeks where he was the unused injury sub. I hope he can back it up and become an asset for us, because there's few players on the list that deserve it more.

100% disposal efficiency!
Great post. Clubs are built on the backs of the ordinary players. Horse mentioned how popular Clarke is and you can see that he is very much a member of the group. The players were all around him when he kicked that goal too.
The guys who are Nos 23 to 30. Setting a good example for the draftees just as much as the stars.

Great post. Clubs are built on the backs of the ordinary players. Horse mentioned how popular Clarke is and you can see that he is very much a member of the group. The players were all around him when he kicked that goal too.
The guys who are Nos 23 to 30. Setting a good example for the draftees just as much as the stars.
Think the performances of he, Fox, and Stephens last night are very important for the blokes in the twos as well. It's a pertinent reminder that if they can continue chipping away and take their opportunities when they come that they can feasibly play a role in the first team's fortunes this year and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back