Delisted #4 Ryan 'The Clamps' Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

uITEbjYC.jpg

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:
Watching the replay now, Clarke is showing he's more than solely a lock-down forward. He has forward smarts about him. He made Daicos pay twice for not paying enough attention to him. The first was losing him and getting the ball front and square with Buddy bringing the ball down the ground. The second also in the 1st quarter when he went off Daicos to hold Howe off so that Reid could mark basically unopposed.

Big game for Clamps - I assume he gets Jack Sinclair …. And quelling Sinclair hurts St Kilda.

That was a heck of a run of games last year, he made a genuine contribution in the run to the big dance and probably punched above his weight division.

Unfortunately, he just lacks a little quality where it counts

I wish him all the best.

Can't knock him for his efforts but he just didn't quite have the skills to really guarantee his place in the first team.
Expect him to be a gun player in the state leagues next year.

Big thanks for giving great service for a number of years. Kept your chin up when not selected and toiled manfully in the 2s. Played some really important and effective roles in seniors. My impression is that you got the most out of yourself. Really appreciate your contribution to our club. Best wishes for the future.

I actually really like Clarke. I can understand needing list spots , but a pure lockdown forward is a role that you need sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think I contributed more negativity in this thread than anyone.

But he grew on me and I just admire the hard work , kind of sad to see him go to be honest as hypocritical as that sounds. I do agree with the decision but yeah

Liked him getting into Daicos

Clarke wasn't the most talented of players but what he lacked in skill he more than made up for with guts, work ethic and heart and he typified what our club's culture is all about.

To quote my favourite TV series The Wire, "he was called. He served. He is counted."

Always a blood Ryan, good luck with the next chapter.

A real shame to see Clarke go.

Seemed to be a real character. Can totally understand why we delisted him though as he always frustratingly missed goals he should have kicked.

Outside of Gulden and Parker was my favourite Swan of recent years. Others might have had greater physical impact, turn of speed or skill, but few had his incredible work rate, often the oil in the engine with his constant running and making himself available to be that little link that got us upfield. Always there to harrass and disrupt the opposition, or to tag the oppositions best runner out of defense. Will be missed.

Deserves to be on a list. Any team needing an improvement in culture and two way running standards (Hello Bombers) would do well to pick him up - even for their Reserves team, he'd reset expectations and be available if someone needs dropping for not meeting his level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back