Player Watch #4: Shaun Higgins - coaches BOG vs Adelaide

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Playing as a bit of a front runner this year. His defensive effort is shit house.

I'm hating him in the center square and around stoppages. Gave O'Meara free reign way too many times while he was trying to scoot forward of the stoppage.

The coaches must give him a spray about this because it's another one of the reasons why out clearance work has gone to shit this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shintemaster

Premium Gold
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Playing as a bit of a front runner this year. His defensive effort is shit house.

I'm hating him in the center square and around stoppages. Gave O'Meara free reign way too many times while he was trying to scoot forward of the stoppage.

The coaches must give him a spray about this because it's another one of the reasons why out clearance work has gone to shit this season.
Only safe conclusion is that the coaches are happy with this - which obviously seems insane - but there you go. The idea that Ahern can't be in because of defensive pressure while Higgins can is a joke. Ahern wins more clearances than Higgins and it would be a brave man that says he provides less defensive pressure than him - if only due to the pace difference Ahern is at least closer to his opponent if he loses a contest. Higgins should be moved to a HFF immediately IMO to shore up our forward line and reduce our vulnerability.

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Compared to his 2018 averages he is down in:

Clearances: 5.2 to 3.7
Tackles: 2.9 to 2.3
Contested Possession: 10.7 to 8.7

If he is going to play as a genuine clearance mid, he needs to sort out his defensive side ASAP. With the new 6-6-6 rule its highlighting his front running way more than previous years.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
When you miss out on so much footy and physical activity, your body tends to not get caught up in age as soon as you'd think.

Shaun's just playing the footy he would've been playing at 27-28 in his thirties.

Gonna be hard to watch this guy slow down, hopefully he can go as long as Boomer did.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Derby County FC
When you miss out on so much footy and physical activity, your body tends to not get caught up in age as soon as you'd think.

Shaun's just playing the footy he would've been playing at 27-28 in his thirties.

Gonna be hard to watch this guy slow down, hopefully he can go as long as Boomer did.
If we stopped playing him as a midfielder today and predominantly as a small/medium forward, I’d wager he’d comfortably have 5-6 years of high quality football left in him and 45ish goals a season.

Just what the forward line needs too.

As soon as we can find/develop another A grade mid, Higgo forward is top of the to do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kangaspurs

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Other than the odd shank, I don't think his kicking is anywhere near as consistently poor atm as some people make it out to be (although I'm sure there's probably a DE% or clanger count that will set me right). I just think it's that his poor kicks are a lot more noticeable because they happen so rarely.

As usual, it's tough to split him and Cunners regarding our best player so far this year, with Pittard and Polec close behind. If he keeps this form up, another Syd and AA jacket is likely.

shintemaster

Premium Gold
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other than the odd shank, I don't think his kicking is anywhere near as consistently poor atm as some people make it out to be (although I'm sure there's probably a DE% or clanger count that will set me right). I just think it's that his poor kicks are a lot more noticeable because they happen so rarely.

As usual, it's tough to split him and Cunners regarding our best player so far this year, with Pittard and Polec close behind. If he keeps this form up, another Syd and AA jacket is likely.
Well yeah, obviously, but that's the nature of it. Nobody is calling for him to be dropped, just pointing out that his disposal has definitely dropped off this year compared to the last couple.

Heaps of fun

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Nah, has burnt a lot of kicks this year. A third of the way up to last year's clanger count off four games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom