Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Playing as a bit of a front runner this year. His defensive effort is s**t house.

I'm hating him in the center square and around stoppages. Gave O'Meara free reign way too many times while he was trying to scoot forward of the stoppage.

The coaches must give him a spray about this because it's another one of the reasons why out clearance work has gone to s**t this season.

Playing as a bit of a front runner this year. His defensive effort is s**t house.

I'm hating him in the center square and around stoppages. Gave O'Meara free reign way too many times while he was trying to scoot forward of the stoppage.

The coaches must give him a spray about this because it's another one of the reasons why out clearance work has gone to s**t this season.

Only safe conclusion is that the coaches are happy with this - which obviously seems insane - but there you go. The idea that Ahern can't be in because of defensive pressure while Higgins can is a joke. Ahern wins more clearances than Higgins and it would be a brave man that says he provides less defensive pressure than him - if only due to the pace difference Ahern is at least closer to his opponent if he loses a contest. Higgins should be moved to a HFF immediately IMO to shore up our forward line and reduce our vulnerability.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Derby County FC
When you miss out on so much footy and physical activity, your body tends to not get caught up in age as soon as you'd think.

Shaun's just playing the footy he would've been playing at 27-28 in his thirties.

Gonna be hard to watch this guy slow down, hopefully he can go as long as Boomer did.

If we stopped playing him as a midfielder today and predominantly as a small/medium forward, I’d wager he’d comfortably have 5-6 years of high quality football left in him and 45ish goals a season.

Just what the forward line needs too.

As soon as we can find/develop another A grade mid, Higgo forward is top of the to do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Other than the odd shank, I don't think his kicking is anywhere near as consistently poor atm as some people make it out to be (although I'm sure there's probably a DE% or clanger count that will set me right). I just think it's that his poor kicks are a lot more noticeable because they happen so rarely.

As usual, it's tough to split him and Cunners regarding our best player so far this year, with Pittard and Polec close behind. If he keeps this form up, another Syd and AA jacket is likely.

Other than the odd shank, I don't think his kicking is anywhere near as consistently poor atm as some people make it out to be (although I'm sure there's probably a DE% or clanger count that will set me right). I just think it's that his poor kicks are a lot more noticeable because they happen so rarely.

As usual, it's tough to split him and Cunners regarding our best player so far this year, with Pittard and Polec close behind. If he keeps this form up, another Syd and AA jacket is likely.

Well yeah, obviously, but that's the nature of it. Nobody is calling for him to be dropped, just pointing out that his disposal has definitely dropped off this year compared to the last couple.

bennymate

Premium Gold
May 26, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
Was brilliant on The Oval Office tonight, position in the media is waiting for him post footy career. So glad he is one of ours as well, true professional.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Nah, has burnt a lot of kicks this year. A third of the way up to last year's clanger count off four games.

Feb 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Something is up with Higgins. 7 turnovers. Zero tackles. Still got the 37 touches and will probably get the 3 Brownlow votes but I am not sure he is 100%. Could we play him off half back?

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the time has come to not have him in the centre bounce, needs to go half back or something.

Something's off with him, just doesn't seem enthused as much, he still gets alot of it based on his talent but I don't see him being as 'switched' on as he was in his B&F years.
Needs to be less hungry while he's kicking it like it is too. Runs around to get the hands a lot and then justs blasts it, ignoring all other runners. Leaders in the midfield should be bringing other players into the game.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Young bub in the family. Seen a lot of player's performances worsen because of that.

Needs to be less hungry while he's kicking it like it is too. Runs around to get the hands a lot and then justs blasts it, ignoring all other runners. Leaders in the midfield should be bringing other players into the game.

Especially when he's near the 50...

He’s just slightly off with regard to his kicking. It happens- see Dangerfield. I’m confident that he’ll sort it out quick smart.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, and his skills and decision making are not things we should be worried about with this bloke. I was surprised post game to discover he’d had the pill so much and he wasn’t his usual polished self but I’m sure it’ll come.

His set shot goal kicking is nearly as bad as Ziebell.

Agree. However, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I saw Ziebell’s record from set shots from a difficult angle right of goal - he’d never missed in eight attempts! He duly made it nine with ease. I was flabbergasted, given the amount of times we’ve seem him miss “sodas”.

Agree. However, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I saw Ziebell’s record from set shots from a difficult angle right of goal - he’d never missed in eight attempts! He duly made it nine with ease. I was flabbergasted, given the amount of times we’ve seem him miss “sodas”.

JZ struggling with the same kind of kick that has been crippling Wood. The minor / medium angled, 35-45m out kick. ie. The mental ones.

His polish has been replaced with sandpaper.

His kicking is rough.

Really rough.

Agree and for long enough to now need a response IMO. He's not noticeably slowed to my eye so I'd like to see him go back to basics for a four week period and play the percentages when it comes to choosing his options, hopefully that will allow him to build confidence in disposal again (not that he appears to be lacking in confidence with his kicking - certainly appears to have more in it than I do at the moment).

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Agree and for long enough to now need a response IMO. He's not noticeably slowed to my eye so I'd like to see him go back to basics for a four week period and play the percentages when it comes to choosing his options, hopefully that will allow him to build confidence in disposal again (not that he appears to be lacking in confidence with his kicking - certainly appears to have more in it than I do at the moment).

Don't get me started on his set shot goal kicking...

Back