Player Watch #4: Shaun Higgins - extends North contract until end 2021

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Devington

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of the quietest 38 touch games of all time
Have to disagree. Early in the year he had a spree of 30-40 possession games and most of those felt like the epitome of nothingness compared to last night.

12 score involvements, 520 meters gained, 2 tackles inside 50 is a great return even if he gets a lot of cheap handballs

Rad Roo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Higgo mentioned today on Gameday that his manager had begun discussions about an extension with the club.
A bonus but if he goes It would be no big loss as he’s not getting younger hence if we can get another two good years then we have gotten most out of him.

Friday Night Lights

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Have to disagree. Early in the year he had a spree of 30-40 possession games and most of those felt like the epitome of nothingness compared to last night.

12 score involvements, 520 meters gained, 2 tackles inside 50 is a great return even if he gets a lot of cheap handballs
Oh agreed, on reflection he was great. More that I didn’t particularly notice him that much at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DuckYeah

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He loves the place, would he have been pi**ed to see the boys tear apart a “contender” and post game thinking “why the fu**?” ... he wont go anywhere.. nmfc will give him a contract to 2021 no doubt about it.. not sure the ferals will give up $$$ anywhere near what we are payin

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
Shaun needs to stop focusing on contracts, and start focusing on premierships.

He has the rest of his life to make money, and he's nowhere near at risk of being overtaken for a spot, nor is he going to be short changed.

ferball

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shaun needs to stop focusing on contracts, and start focusing on premierships.

He has the rest of his life to make money, and he's nowhere near at risk of being overtaken for a spot, nor is he going to be short changed.
he probably is focusing on flags. I thought when I saw that interview where he came out and denied all that his attitude was mostly "WTF is this s**t you morons. Its the furtherest thing from my mind."

LuvtheKangas

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2006
Bottom of the ladder
AFL Club
North Melbourne
he probably is focusing on flags. I thought when I saw that interview where he came out and denied all that his attitude was mostly "WTF is this s**t you morons. Its the furtherest thing from my mind."
Agree with this. In many cases, these contract "disagreements" are player managers cheating by feeding the media a story in the hope of putting pressure on clubs to offer more.

Silver finger

Senior List
Mar 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He wants more title for the future. Probably wants to become coach or working for the media.
Geelong has more chance to get a premiership before he retires.
We receive something at least for giving him.

SlyCunnington

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2010
Downtown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Circumstances dictate that negotiations won't begin until after the season is done.

I think he's a very smart bloke well aware of that, not overjoyed about it, but understanding of the situation as a whole.

Doubt if he'll be going anywhere, but the media will keep raising it until a deal is done.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
Watching him talk about it yesterday on Gameday it looked to me that he’s a bit miffed that it’s even being raised as an issue. He seemed fine with where things are at.

I would say he was pleased when the concept of playing next year without an extension was raised.

Personally, I'm happy to see him get a 1 year extension (2021) and even another year option (club conditions), but he has to be realistic about his age & price and put the clubs interest first.

Top Bottom