Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW, Fact not Fiction posted on Friday that he "would be very surprised if Higgo left".

Given he has 1 year left on his contract, we can tell him that we expect him to honour that year and if we did, who knows what might be the position in 12 months time.

We should hold out for the best possible trade deal, if we are to agree to him leaving 1 year early.

FWIW, Fact not Fiction posted on Friday that he "would be very surprised if Higgo left".

Given he has 1 year left on his contract, we can tell him that we expect him to honour that year and if we did, who knows what might be the position in 12 months time.

We should hold out for the best possible trade deal, if we are to agree to him leaving 1 year early.

Both Higgins & North had to have received deals that were too good to turn down.

My hunch is the delay is due to seeing what happens in the trade period & how much coin is left.

We still need to have coin in the kitty at the end of next year.;)

Am I correct in saying that Higgins is an unrestricted free agent at the end of his current contract...?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Higgins has only been with us for 5 years, how does he qualify for free agency? Don't they have to serve 8 years with their current club?

From the AFL website...
“Under new rules, a player who previously moved as a free agent, is coming out of contract and has not been at their new club for eight years now qualifies for unrestricted free agency.

This accounts for any player who has crossed as a restricted, unrestricted and delisted free agents, with former listed players picked up in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft also qualifying.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can't see him begging in the street if he gives it away next year mate.

Has all the qualifications to be a skills/development coach.

I don't disagree.

As you've said later in the thread, there must be a good deal for both him and the club.

He has another year and if Geelong don't come to the table (likely - as they're stingy campaigners) then he stays.

If he wants to leave at the end of next year so be it. He's more value to us than anything we'll get from Geelong.

yes and Geelong has shown the world you dont have to give into players wanting out, you make them stay and play out their contracts. They want to play the game well

My gut tells me there’s going to be more than one retirement at Geelong this year, which they already know about.

Couple that with the loss of Kelly and I can’t really see how this would be fake news. Geelong are doing some serious covert shopping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is much more than just about Higgo. It sends a message to supporters, players, other clubs and potential new recruits as well as the media that North isn't interested in a garage sale. We are aiming high next year and beyond. Well done to the club.

Clearly he got as sick of the speculation as we did! So excited he has signed!
Its all the more sweet as Geelong missed out!

Got another one wrong Tom Browne. Nice that you are now trying to seem happy about it!

Last edited:
Excellent, glad to see him reach 100 with North.

More than that, he’s all class and a real leader and the perfect role model for our youngsters, if his body and form hold true I wouldn’t be surprised to see another short extension in late 2020 early ‘21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back