Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe down, but never out.

View attachment 689324

Higgo's got some insight to the game when you actually pry it out of him. When I met him he's timid to talking about strategy at first; but ask again and he'll just go in auto-pilot and break down what's going wrong in the game and provide the solution that'll work.

I'd be underrating him if I said he didn't have the chops to be at least an assistant coach.

Higgo's got some insight to the game when you actually pry it out of him. When I met him he's timid to talking about strategy at first; but ask again and he'll just go in auto-pilot and break down what's going wrong in the game and provide the solution that'll work.

I'd be underrating him if I said he didn't have the chops to be at least an assistant coach.
Serious question, are we missing a midfield coach at the minute?
He could be a good one to have in the box.

Allegedly 6 weeks recovery time!! By far our best player with his creativity, execution and footy wits.. this will be the test, Ahern will get a good chunk of footy under his belt.. feel he comes in, him or Garns..

Injury is certainly not convenient for us at the moment but if we start to get good form going and somehow challenge for a top 8 spot, he could come back when we most desperately need him. Fit and firing ready to go.

Could be a blessing in disguise if things go well.

Eight goal assists in the last two weeks, after one in total all season before that. The difference when he plays on instinct and not to a stupid system is very evident.

First 10 bloody rounds he'd get the ball at times and shape to go forward, then look sideways and usually choose an overall average option (that was both worse than what his instincts probably told him to do initially AND worse than if his first instinct had been to go sideways due to the delay). That doesn't excuse some of the awful kicks he made streaming out of the middle, but if he's blatantly being forced to suppress his instincts (and making a fair effort to follow instructions!) in some situations I can only imagine it's going to throw his whole game sense slightly out of whack. Between that and a new bub it's not surprising his effectiveness was down.

IMO he clearly still has what it takes to play at his best (he was still racking up elite numbers while off kilter, it was mostly just the effectiveness of his disposals that was down, and that seemed somewhat rectified recently), and I'm willing to bet that with the club looking to NOT rebuild then his hunger for a premiership will keep him going. Have to remember that half his mates at the dogs got a cup just after he left, that's got to sting the pride a little.

Agree with the calls for him to take on some leadership/mentoring/coaching roles while he's out of action. I suspect he'd enjoy it regardless, and tbh we're one coach down at the moment so it makes some decent sense to me.

I met him and Jy in Coolie airport last year, flying back from Byron. Called em over, sat them down and got some photos with the kids and then they sat near us. For the entire time they sat there Jy pumped Higgo for information about how to play, where to run and what to do and Higgo was a wealth of specific info even to the point of being down to the centimetre when running near particular opposition players. "With him you'll have to go here and here and watch out for this but with him you can get behind him here and get free thru here" while moving his fingers around the table they were sitting at.

It was incredibly detailed and specific and Jy was lapping it up too.

I'm more glass half full about Higgins going down than glass half empty. Opens up a spot for Ahern (who is our future). The opportunity is there for the taking.
I'm sure his lovely wife is too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mixed feelings about this.

On the cons side is the fact that the club have produced this update on his progress. I didn't need to know this and would rather they didn't take up valuable members' (and staff) time keeping us updated. I pay good money and expect to only receive necessary progress reports.

On the pros, how good it is to have a woman do the interview? Much more professional than Heath, no doubt due to the mentoring offered by the likes of Laura Kane and Emma Kearney.

Mixed feelings about this.

On the cons side is the fact that the club have produced this update on his progress. I didn't need to know this and would rather they didn't take up valuable members' (and staff) time keeping us updated. I pay good money and expect to only receive necessary progress reports.

On the pros, how good it is to have a woman do the interview? Much more professional than Heath, no doubt due to the mentoring offered by the likes of Laura Kane and Emma Kearney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back