Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FYI - Tom Browne's other contribution to the public discourse this morning is this:

I just assumed that Tom Browne was Seth MacFarlane doing his impression of a Family Guy level Aussie Rules reporter. Turns out he's a real thing.

If he goes to Collingwood.
Channel 7 commentary:
"he is currently the most skilled player in the competition, provides everything you want, i think he hanks in the top 5 players in the game currently"

I wouldn't put it past them.

giphy.gif

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We can scrap Tom Brown's latest garbage:

“NORTH Melbourne star Shaun Higgins has scotched the suggestion he’s holding his AFL home to ransom for longer job security.

A Channel Seven report has linked the 31-year-old to a surprise switch to Geelong in the off-season, despite the in-form midfielder having a year to run on his deal at Arden Street.

Higgins said the report was “factually incorrect”.

“I actually haven’t received anything from the football club so it’s a little bit baffling where that came from last night,” he said.

“I’m contracted for next year if people have forgotten that.

“I haven’t received anything so there’s nothing for me to reject and there’s also nothing for me to accept at the moment.”

Higgins joined North Melbourne from Western Bulldogs at the end of 2014, quickly becoming a key player under Brad Scott and signing an extension at the start of 2018.

That deal will expire at the end of next season, meaning the end of this season will be new coach Rhyce Shaw’s sole opportunity to trade his star rather than risk losing him for nothing next year.

Even at 31, Higgins has shown his worth in 15 matches this campaign, tallying more than 30 possessions eight times before a mid-year shoulder injury.

His comments on Tuesday don’t preclude the possibility of a move to Geelong.”

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
His comments on Tuesday don’t preclude the possibility of a move to Geelong.”

Hmm interesting.

Couldn't help notice Shaun didn't confirm or deny the Holocaust or global warming either.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Hmm interesting.

Couldn't help notice Shaun didn't confirm or deny the Holocaust or global warming either.

He's playing his cards very close to his chest.

The Butcher

All Australian
Mar 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
IMO Higgo has never returned to his pre concussion levels and still seems affected. Seems a little slower of thought and action, not playing the game two steps ahead as he was when at his best and tearing the opposition apart. I'm sure the club and Higgo family ticked all the boxes and I'm proly just not giving enough credit to how hard the game is at afl level even for the best, but now it's in my mind I keep seeing the signs every game.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
IMO Higgo has never returned to his pre concussion levels and still seems affected. Seems a little slower of thought and action, not playing the game two steps ahead as he was when at his best and tearing the opposition apart. I'm sure the club and Higgo family ticked all the boxes and I'm proly just not giving enough credit to how hard the game is at afl level even for the best, but now it's in my mind I keep seeing the signs every game.
Might have something to do with sleepless nights due t him having a kid on the same day, see it all the time, young fathers walking around like zombies after they have a child.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He made the all Australian side last year, he was in career best form after that Burton bump. He is a year older, in a midfield with no depth, with some kms on his body. Still got some kick in the old legs yet, but think he might be better suited finishing up on a flank, back or forward.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldn't blame Geelong, North, or Higgins, if the mooted move went ahead.

If Geelong were to offer an extra year (or two) on top of the contracted 2020, that would be good security for an aging Higgins.

And if North got a decent pick in return, it wouldn't be a bad outcome.

We got several excellent seasons of footy out of him when he was in his prime and we had a crack at the flag.

Not saying I want it to happen, just saying I can see the benefits for all parties concerned.

I wouldn't blame Geelong, North, or Higgins, if the mooted move went ahead.

If Geelong were to offer an extra year (or two) on top of the contracted 2020, that would be good security for an aging Higgins.

And if North got a decent pick in return, it wouldn't be a bad outcome.

We got several excellent seasons of footy out of him when he was in his prime and we had a crack at the flag.

Not saying I want it to happen, just saying I can see the benefits for all parties concerned.

Jy Simpkin might not see the benefit.

Back