Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

Circumstances dictate that negotiations won't begin until after the season is done.

I think he's a very smart bloke well aware of that, not overjoyed about it, but understanding of the situation as a whole.

Doubt if he'll be going anywhere, but the media will keep raising it until a deal is done.

He's contracted for next year and essentially acting as Jy's midfield coach. If he leaves it'll be then. If Jy really breaks out next year - I mean cements his place as an elite mid then Higgo can go elsewhere (or stay here) with Jy in his future coaching CV, ala Sam Mitchell when he went west and Hodge in Brisneyland.

The Higgins situation is an interesting one. The 31-year-old is contracted until the end of next season and also has an extra year on the table from the Roos, but it's believed the two parties are still some way apart despite this development. Higgins fronted the media in August to say there hadn't been any formal negotiations at that stage. Who will blink first? It's North Melbourne or Geelong for Higgins at this stage.

Interesting indeed.

Could still be a very damaging cherry-on-top type for a top-six team.

Would not be averse to a trade for a first-rounder.

Or for a ready-made ruckman to replace Goldstein.

The Higgins situation is an interesting one. The 31-year-old is contracted until the end of next season and also has an extra year on the table from the Roos, but it's believed the two parties are still some way apart despite this development.

ok, so humour me, what exactly is there to discuss if he is contracted???

ok, so humour me, what exactly is there to discuss if he is contracted???

There might be better value in us trading Higgins while he still has currency than the 2-3 years we might get out of him as a player.

So excuse me for asking a question that may have already been addressed. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve really been around here however what are the inner sanctum’s thoughts on how Goldstein’s new contract may impact (if at all) Higgins’ decision to hang around.

Yes I understand he’s contracted for next year however I would think this means less money for the club to offer or capacity to offer an extra year. Extending his contract another couple of years would mean we’ve just invested a lot of money and time into two (elite) early 30 year olds at potentially the expense of developing our youth. Don’t get me wrong, personally I don’t want to lose Higgins but it seems odd that Higgins is yet to be locked in beyond next year.

So excuse me for asking a question that may have already been addressed. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve really been around here however what are the inner sanctum’s thoughts on how Goldstein’s new contract may impact (if at all) Higgins’ decision to hang around.

Yes I understand he’s contracted for next year however I would think this means less money for the club to offer or capacity to offer an extra year. Extending his contract another couple of years would mean we’ve just invested a lot of money and time into two (elite) early 30 year olds at potentially the expense of developing our youth. Don’t get me wrong, personally I don’t want to lose Higgins but it seems odd that Higgins is yet to be locked in beyond next year.
Dunno that goldys new offer was anything over the top?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if he's staying, he's playing the game to get the best possible deal.

Which at his age he's perfectly entitled to do.

Not like he's played s**t footy for us either.

Which at his age he's perfectly entitled to do.

Not like he's played s**t footy for us either.

I can't see him begging in the street if he gives it away next year mate.

Has all the qualifications to be a skills/development coach.

Did they also manage to tell you the trade aspects of this?

Because Shaun is contracted, so in order for him to be "gone" the club must have also accepted a trade arrangement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back