Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Higgo's perfect spot now is to be running off half back - using his kicking skills and general awareness to set us up from back there.

We have a real weakness in that area and he has the right skill set to fix it.

He could do that for another 2 years.

We need to be playing the Bonar's, Ahern's in the middle to see what they have - not Higgo anymore.
100% agree. It will be a lot easier on his body in that role as well.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
D6AEE260-BB59-4B35-81A8-564FC8616061.jpeg

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree... appreciate trying to get a look at the kids but he needs to be on the ball in the action.... get Dumont back onto the wing

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its compounded by the fact our best midfielder is out. The logical thing would be to replace him with Higgins but that’s not happening. There’s no doubt in my mind now that Shaw used this season as a development year. I just hope that Higgins was made aware of what role he’d be playing when he was weighing up offers from other clubs last year.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its compounded by the fact our best midfielder is out. The logical thing would be to replace him with Higgins but that’s not happening. There’s no doubt in my mind now that Shaw used this season as a development year. I just hope that Higgins was made aware of what role he’d be playing when he was weighing up offers from other clubs last year.
Strategy would’ve changed throughout the year, after the first two rounds, I’m sure everyone was thinking finals, the players came back from the break, not up to it.

Got bets on which game we were given the go ahead to experiment, my bet is on after Ziebell went down.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Strategy would’ve changed throughout the year, after the first two rounds, I’m sure everyone was thinking finals, the players came back from the break, not up to it.

Got bets on which game we were given the go ahead to experiment, my bet is on after Ziebell went down.

Good point. His heat map from round 1 suggests that’s the case. A lot more time in the middle

79DB5EF0-4156-4DA0-9D4F-526A18FB8DC6.jpeg

round 2
7640DA66-5EB8-4152-BAC2-D980B1213A9A.jpeg

Round 5 onwards things changed

Rd 5,

53E0C702-ABDB-4C6A-826E-2CA03CDC49EE.jpeg

Rd 6,
67ACF9F6-8133-4235-B697-A56EDCD18592.jpeg

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I post that because without reading the dumpster fire that I’m sure the autopsy thread is, I’m sure Higgins is being s**t canned. We’re currently playing him in the same role that saw him struggling in his last year at the dogs.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I post that because without reading the dumpster fire that I’m sure the autopsy thread is, I’m sure Higgins is being sh*t canned. We’re currently playing him in the same role that saw him struggling in his last year at the dogs.
He's not being s**t canned - the imbecilic decision to play him in a back pocket in a game we needed to win has, however, come in for some occasional comment

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's not being sh*t canned - the imbecilic decision to play him in a back pocket in a game we needed to win has, however, come in for some occasional comment

Imbecilic? Or has the footy department seen this year as gone so rather then try to win enough games to finish 9th they’re planning for the future? I’m going with the later

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
It's not hard to see what we're trying to do. We need to get some skill and composure coming from defence. Unfortunately, it's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul right now. On the plus side it's opening a starting centre square role for LDU.

Hopefully next season, when we get Cunners back, LDU plays more mid minutes, Simpkin is in there, Thomas is rotating through, throwing in some grunt from Jed and Dumont, Higgo's absence won't be as harshly felt.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's not hard to see what we're trying to do. We need to get some skill and composure coming from defence. Unfortunately, it's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul right now. On the plus side it's opening a starting centre square role for LDU.

Hopefully next season, when we get Cunners back, LDU plays more mid minutes, Simpkin is in there, Thomas is rotating through, throwing in some grunt from Jed and Dumont, Higgo's absence won't be as harshly felt.

Shaun is currently too busy stopping the mongol hordes from breaching the fortress to worry about any real effectiveness as a counter puncher.

I have no probs with what we're doing with him, for it would be a complete waste if he was getting continually smashed in the midfield and ended up with a LTI that finished him.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Imbecilic? Or has the footy department seen this year as gone so rather then try to win enough games to finish 9th they’re planning for the future? I’m going with the later
I agree, but let's be smart about it - experiment in any other game, but beat Melbourne to drab back their pick; we're going to finish bottom 3 anyway, so pull the Melbourne pick - last night's effort only helps them make finals

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree, but let's be smart about it - experiment in any other game, but beat Melbourne to drab back their pick; we're going to finish bottom 3 anyway, so pull the Melbourne pick - last night's effort only helps them make finals
You’re banking on Melbournes shitness, we can only control, what we can control, what happens if we won yesterday and Melbourne goes on an undefeated run?
we need lower pick on our part, not Melbournes. The lower that pick the more options we have.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You’re banking on Melbournes shitness, we can only control, what we can control, what happens if we won yesterday and Melbourne goes on an undefeated run?
we need lower pick on our part, not Melbournes. The lower that pick the more options we have.

Plus, us beating Melbourne but then sucking ass every other game would open us to tanking allegations.

But if we purely suck ass then maybe we convince them we're just s**t ;)

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wonder if he was made aware of the role he’d be playing when he decided to stay? Wing/half back is not for him.

That's an interesting point.

Not that I think Shaun would be doing this, but if he were to be thinking - or perhaps it were obvious - that "I wouldn't have stayed if I knew I'd be playing this role", well it may have an unforeseen knock on effect when players are faced with a difficult choice in the future.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Have really enjoyed watching Higgo play for us. Silky mover and hopefully that continues.

But that ridiculous short missed kicked in the centre of the ground, under no pressure to an extremely dangerous spot and terrible turnover, was extremely frustrating and a reflection of the night - shocking skill execution and decision making from the top down.

Last edited:
Back