Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

Higgins should drop some weight and play on the opposite wing to Polcat..

We’d have two very damaging wingers, and Higgins body would be preserved for a few years.

I do worry that neither have a defensive bone in their bodies thou.

Have really enjoyed watching Higgo play for us. Silky mover and hopefully that continues.

But that ridiculous short missed kicked in the centre of the ground, under no pressure to an extremely dangerous spot and terrible turnover, was extremely frustrating and a reflection of the night - shocking skill execution and decision making from the top down.

On the “up” side, when Higgins is making those sorts of errors, you just know it’s not your day. Confidence is, probably, the major component that’s lacking right now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I looked at yesterday's DE% stat's out of interest, Shaun had only 2 behind him (Jy and Zurhaar), dare i say, an un-Higgins like stat.
That IS a crazy stat, however on what I sat through yesterday not surprising. Some of the turnovers AND stupid decisions (See Jy) from our leaders, especially when the game was on the line were staggering and like a cannon ball to the gut. Higgins' ball use was for the most part awful and completely uncharacteristic. And if Higgins is unable to kick then god help the rest of the team.

On the “up” side, when Higgins is making those sorts of errors, you just know it’s not your day. Confidence is, probably, the major component that’s lacking right now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep agree.

Simpkin shanking them like he's never kicked a footy before also a giveaway.......

(and I think both are guns at best so I'm not criticising)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Higgo has never returned to his pre concussion levels and still seems affected. Seems a little slower of thought and action, not playing the game two steps ahead as he was when at his best and tearing the opposition apart. I'm sure the club and Higgo family ticked all the boxes and I'm proly just not giving enough credit to how hard the game is at afl level even for the best, but now it's in my mind I keep seeing the signs every game.
Still hasn't rediscovered the ball drop or time of vintage Higgo. Every time i hear a commentator say "class" or "skill" I'm reminded of just how out of touch with reality the spruikers of our old game really are. My kingdom for a professional commentator who could handle the pressure of the moment and fill the air without relying on tired narrative and cliche.

Got more questions than answers in my mind on higgo.

What's Shaw up to? What's the long game? Wingman/flanks for the rest of career? I wouldn't think he can just switch it back on if he goes in the centre next year.

Trying to get some value out of him to trade to a club that's going for a flag? Protecting him until Cunners is back in the centre? Interested in peoples thoughts.

Only had two contested possessions last night. Was a bit fumbly for him, and also just a bit switched off early in the game. DE was in the sixties IIRC, despite almost all possessions uncontested.

He's playing like a man who cant wait for the season to be over. He lost his sh*t towards the end of last weeks game. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to leave but may be too honourable to do so. I feel sorry for him, the footy gods haven't been kind.

He's playing like a man who cant wait for the season to be over. He lost his sh*t towards the end of last weeks game. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to leave but may be too honourable to do so. I feel sorry for him, the footy gods haven't been kind.

We all want this season to end, including the players. I would be surprised if any of them wanted to leave, though. Surely the prospect of a full re-set and a very different looking 2021 has them all motivated for next season.

I know he is playing a different role to give opportunities to LDU etc and maybe I'm being harsh, but I haven't liked his season at all.

Especially as a leader, as he doesn't do enough defensively to set the standard.

His kicking in particular has also really been off so offensively nowhere near as damaging.

He's a gun at best and still moves smooth as, so I'm confident he can bounce back next season.

I looked at yesterday's DE% stat's out of interest, Shaun had only 2 behind him (Jy and Zurhaar), dare i say, an un-Higgins like stat.

He's had a very ordinary year, but he has credits too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back