Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Didn't get a lot of it last night, but looked like silk when he did. Interesting he was played off half back all night. When you have Kelly, Martin, Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Bontempelli et al in the side I suppose that's where you go - what a luxury it would be to have Higgins setting up of half back instead of JMac, Atley and LMc spudding it up.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
we need to clone Higgins have one in the middle
One up front and one setting us up out of defence

could see him finishing his career off hbf the exact type of player we need back there
Summed up where we are in our rebuild. Even before Higgins/Cunners/Brown/Tarrant/Polec etc retire we have no high quality half back, only two gun mids and our half forward line is still a black hole, admittedly with the most promise in the future with the likes of Zurhaar, Thomas, Taylor and Mahoney to come on.

Summed up where we are in our rebuild. Even before Higgins/Cunners/Brown/Tarrant/Polec etc retire we have no high quality half back, only two gun mids and our half forward line is still a black hole, admittedly with the most promise in the future with the likes of Zurhaar, Thomas, Taylor and Mahoney to come on.
It’s why I’m all in on getting Zac Williams as a free agent to help out in this area

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
It’s why I’m all in on getting Zac Williams as a free agent to help out in this area

He won't come. They never come. The "throw $$$$$$$ at FA" strategy doesn't work for us. We have to be better, smarter and more creative than just thinking Free Agency is the solution.

He won't come. They never come. The "throw $$$$$$$ at FA" strategy doesn't work for us. We have to be better, smarter and more creative than just thinking Free Agency is the solution.

Worked for Higgins.

Probably will for Polec and Pittard.

Zac Williams is around the same level imo, behind higher profile, younger players at his club.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Worked for Higgins.

Probably will for Polec and Pittard.

Zac Williams is around the same level imo, behind higher profile, younger players at his club.

I reckon Harvey, Dal Santo, Firrito and Petrie were moved on in 2016 with the thought that we'd bottom out in 2017, have Kelly and Martin in 2018, Gaff in 2019, and a flag shot in 2020. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Chuck cash at A-graders and the world would be sweet.

It was lazy thinking and it failed. I'm all for going for Z.Williams as a free agent, but it has to be regarded as a long shot. Gaff, Martin and Kelly didn't reject North - they did what almost everyone does when they are unsure about making a significant change. They chose not to do anything. FAs have to be regarded as long shots that are a bonus if they happen. Throwing coin at guys and expecting them to come is naive.

Anyway, Polec and Pittard were trades. Higgins was a FA and whilst he has done everything and more, we are further away from what we want now than what we were at the end of 2014 when he joined.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I reckon Harvey, Dal Santo, Firrito and Petrie were moved on in 2016 with the thought that we'd bottom out in 2017, have Kelly and Martin in 2018, Gaff in 2019, and a flag shot in 2020. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Chuck cash at A-graders and the world would be sweet.

It was lazy thinking and it failed. I'm all for going for Z.Williams as a free agent, but it has to be regarded as a long shot. Gaff, Martin and Kelly didn't reject North - they did what almost everyone does when they are unsure about making a significant change. They chose not to do anything. FAs have to be regarded as long shots that are a bonus if they happen. Throwing coin at guys and expecting them to come is naive.

Anyway, Polec and Pittard were trades. Higgins was a FA and whilst he has done everything and more, we are further away from what we want now than what we were at the end of 2014 when he joined.

Polec and Pittard weren’t traded against their will. We went after Polec and got him.

Back