Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't meniscus normally 6-8 weeks. Surely won't be 12 hence north being cautious and saying 'up to' 12?
I have no evidence to support this but I reckon that's what clubs do in 99% of these longer term injury scenarios nowadays.

I'd imagine they've told him they expect he'll be back in 9 "but the press release will say 12 to take the pressure off both you and our medical staff".

Your meniscal tear will commonly take up to six or eight weeks to fully heal. As mentioned previously, some meniscal tears will require surgery. Your physiotherapist will guide you as to what is most likely for your knee injury.

I picture this excerpt coming from a pamphlet entitled 'SO YOU'VE TORN YOUR MENISCUS'

Popped over to the BullFlogs board to see what the whining bitches of the west thought of this sad news:

Stay classy flogs. Stay classy
If any football fan celebrated Murphy's injury it should be a permaban.................I find it highly unlikely that anyone here jumped for joy at his injury.

I picture this excerpt coming from a pamphlet entitled 'SO YOU'VE TORN YOUR MENISCUS'

Hi, I'm Steve Saunders, you might remember me from such educational films as "Lachie Hansen and the Non-Existent Concussion", or "Never Ending Circumcisions: The Todd Goldstein Story"

how bad it the tear. i tore my meniscus (a partial tear in the left knee) and i still played* hockey (for about 5 more years until the second happen).
*didn't know that it was torn so i played on a bum knee and still on a tournament in 2004.

Hi, I'm Steve Saunders, you might remember me from such educational films as "Lachie Hansen and the Non-Existent Concussion", or "Never Ending Circumcisions: The Todd Goldstein Story"

AT SHAUN'S SURGERY

image.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read that Casboult has undergone same meniscus surgery and is listed as up to 8 weeks.

As Higgins was claimed as 12 I'd hope that is very worst case scenario and is back sooner rather than later :thumbsu:

I read that Casboult has undergone same meniscus surgery and is listed as up to 8 weeks.

As Higgins was claimed as 12 I'd hope that is very worst case scenario and is back sooner rather than later :thumbsu:

There has suddenly been a flurry of these injuries. Hodge , Kruezer, Casboult and Higgins.

I thought Casboult's is a broken tibia. Kreuzer has the meniscus injury - listed as 3-4 weeks, too, so seemingly less damage than Higgo's.

Yep, Casboult's is a tibia fracture (hairline only). Kreutzer's meniscus tear must've been more like Hodge's than Higgo's.

I thought Casboult's is a broken tibia. Kreuzer has the meniscus injury - listed as 3-4 weeks, too, so seemingly less damage than Higgo's.

Yep a typo, I meant Kreuzer :thumbsu:

I would have thought with surgery the damage would be "fixed" to the same extent, menaing similar lay off times. Going by reports that's obviously not the case but hopefully 8 is closer than 12 for Higgo

Yep a typo, I meant Kreuzer :thumbsu:

I would have thought with surgery the damage would be "fixed" to the same extent, menaing similar lay off times. Going by reports that's obviously not the case but hopefully 8 is closer than 12 for Higgo
I spoke to someone over the weekend who has a 17 year old son who shipped a meniscus injury like Higgins. His son is, also, out for 12 weeks. He told me that there are two options for treating the injury. The first option is to cut out the damaged meniscus and only miss a few weeks - like Kreuzer. The downside of this approach is eventual "bone on bone" and arthritis down the road. The other option is to repair the meniscus, via stitching. This option rules you out for 12 weeks, but has a better long term outcome. I'm assuming that our good start allowed Higgins to take the more conservative approach and avoid arthritis down the road.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back