#4 Toby Greene - Inaugural Giant (Pick 11, 2011 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

More accolades for Toby in season 2023:

Fourth time as leading goalkicker, with the second best season total in our history:

And congrats on your second KSM!

Captain Toby Greene has won the 2023 Kevin Sheedy Medal, taking out the GIANTS’ club champion award for a second time.

In one of the club’s closest vote counts, Greene edged out contenders Stephen Coniglio and Tom Green in the final three games of the GIANTS’ 27-game season to take out top spot with 71 votes. It was a battle between the three for much of the night with the trio sitting at the top of the leaderboard at nearly every break. Just two votes separated Greene and Coniglio at the end of the regular season, with voting continuing through the club’s run to a preliminary final.

Vice-captain Coniglio and midfield star Green finished as dual runners up, with the pair finishing on 66 votes. Lachie Whitfield (61) and Josh Kelly (58) rounded out the top five. His second club champion award tops off an incredible season for Greene, having not only led his team to a preliminary final in his first year as sole captain, but also awarded one of the game’s highest honours - All Australian captain - as he collected a third blazer.

The 30-year-old played 24 of the GIANTS’ 27 matches this season, averaging 17.8 disposals, 4.4 marks and 2.5 marks, as well as slotting a career-best 66 goals. Greene last took out the club’s major award in 2016, making him the third player to become a dual Kevin Sheedy Medallist, alongside Lachie Whitfield and Josh Kelly.

From the outside looking in, many would rate Toby Greene’s 2023 season as a complete success.

The 30-year-old, in his first season as sole GWS captain, led the club to an unexpected Preliminary Final berth while kicking a career-high 66 goals. Greene was also named All-Australian captain in making the team for a third time and won his second Kevin Sheedy Medal as the Giants’ best and fairest.

But despite all of Greene’s accolades, he admits there was an element of his game he wasn’t entirely happy with last season.

It is something he plans to reinvigorate over the off-season and bring back as a “weapon” in 2024. “My one on one stuff went a bit backwards in the second half of last year,” Greene said on SEN Breakfast. “That’s something I’ve been trying to work on in training and trying to bring back as one of my weapons. At this time of year it’s about getting as fit as I can be so I’m set up for a good six or seven months. Make sure my repeat efforts are good and my base is really good. All my craft stuff that I work on throughout the year, that will come. They’re my main focuses at the moment.”

Greene noticed the physical side of his game had dropped off after he copped a knock to the chest in the middle of the season. In 2024, he plans to re-establish that contested element deep in attack so as to place more pressure on his direct opponent. “I hurt my sternum about halfway through the year and I didn’t touch any upper body weights - not that I do enjoy them anyway - for the second half of the year,” Greene said. “I just became really weak in the contest and I guess I was not really calling one on one balls and hoping more for a front and centre crumb. I want to try and bring that (one on one game) back, especially against opponents that are my size.”

Greene and the Giants are busy going about their pre-season as they prepare for their AFL Community Series match against the Suns on February 29. They then kick off their 2024 season proper against reigning premiers Collingwood at Giants Stadium in Opening Round on March 9.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back