#4 Toby Greene - Inaugural Giant (Pick 11, 2011 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS star Toby Greene is loving life in Sydney after turbulent start to his AFL career
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/6b28ae5af94dda1618e0211a04151e0d

Toby Greene just doesn’t lose a one-on-one contest. Station him deep in attack or let him scream up the ground leading at the ball carrier and he becomes one of footy's most dangerous men. Unstoppable, even. Which may be why it has taken four months for him to reluctantly reveal exactly how he broke his toe last October, an injury that has ruined his pre-season.
The answer finally comes with a chuckle and a rueful shake of the head you get the feeling Greene has perfected over the years. It is just hours after GWS megastar Greene has signed a six-year, $6 million deal and yet in so many ways he is still the naughty kid in the playground.

“I was just being an idiot, wrestling with my mate in an apartment in New York and I got flung into the wall,’’ Green says, ’fessing up to the Sunday Herald Sun at the club’s Olympic Park headquarters in Sydney. “I didn’t think it was that bad at the time and then it got sorer and sorer, so I had to ring ‘Cambo’ (footy boss Wayne Campbell). “I thought it was a bit of a laugh at the time, but it took a while to come good, so I won’t be doing that again.” Greene wants to clarify one thing — he still didn’t lose the fight. Give him that bit of dignity at least. “Nah, I will always win,” he says. “I would have been beating (my mate) for sure. I had him on the ground for about five minutes (before that).”

And yet as Greene picked himself up and dusted himself off, he soon realised the collateral damage. It was an injury that morphed into something more damaging, with Greene only now able to join in full training just weeks from the AFL season. “Cambo wasn’t too bad about it,” Greene says. “Leon (Cameron) was on holidays so he said, ‘Don’t call Leon’, he had to do that. “Originally I thought I might be back running by week one of the pre-season but that certainly wasn’t the case. “It wasn’t the toe in the end, it was the inside of my foot. I must have been protecting it when I started running again.
“My fat pad got really irritated and it took so long to come good. My toe was fine by January, but how I was running affected another part of my foot. I just kept having little setbacks but hopefully it starts on the upward trend now.” Welcome to another chapter in the weird and wonderful life of Toby Greene.

One of the AFL’s few remaining larrikins, he is also one of its most captivating and colourful stories. Ratbag, fun-loving rogue, ’80s throwback — he is all of those. Greater Western Sydney loves him so much some at the club think he is their most important player. But for coach Cameron and the teammates who know, Greene is one of the most popular members of the Giants’ list — the good far outweighs the bad. The Giants love Greene and he loves them and the city back. “No, I can’t say there have been any regrets,” he says. “Obviously I have had a few misdemeanours and cost myself here and there, but I guess it was part of the learning process. I know it was a bit steeper than others and people will say I was an idiot, which I probably was. But I have definitely learnt from it. It’s something I want to continue to learn from.” Greene, 24, knows he can be his own worst enemy.

The player exodus from GWS that so many keep predicting just isn’t occurring, Greene joining Josh Kelly, Josh Kelly and Lachie Whitfield as recent big-name signings. He signed because he loves the joint, but also early in the year so teammates wouldn’t have to be pestered about his business as they were about Kelly last year. But five or six million, or whatever the exact amount is? “Yeah, just doesn’t seem right, really,” Greene says. “I didn’t play footy to get paid a lot of money, I just always loved it,” he says. "It’s good to get a deal with the Giants, it's a dream come true and hopefully it sets me up for the future. I guess I have been lucky, I never really got homesick. We get two months of holidays so it’s plenty of time to get back home.”

For Greene there are no fast cars or one-off splurges, just a determination to use those two months to open his horizons. In his holidays there have been regular trips to South America, Cambodia and America, with Sri Lanka up next. Check out his Instagram page, filled with photos of Greene hooning around on motorbikes, feasting on Rio’s beauty and generally living the dream. “I take a massive interest in it,” he says. “Every off-season I go somewhere different. I loved South America, it was a completely different culture to anywhere else in the world. Places like Bolivia and Rio, I loved Texas. After Sri Lanka, Europe is next on the cards. It definitely opens your mind, there are so many different people you meet. I don’t like sitting still.”

Great article, and there's more detail in the full story (quite a long article).

Toby Greene signs massive multi-year deal to stay with GWS Giants, longest deal in club history
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/re...s/news-story/05c4a4e5cc49e50cda18d81b4f519a4a

THE GWS Giants have announced a massive contract coup, with All-Australian forward Toby Greene signing the longest deal in the club’s history. Greene confirmed at a press conference on Tuesday that he had signed a new six-year deal that will tie him to the club until 2024. The deal was only finalised on Monday. It was reported on Tuesday that the contract signed by Greene, who has developed into arguably the club’s biggest barometer and one of the league’s most polarising figures, could be worth as much as $6 million, with Triple M reporting it was around $800,000 to $1 million per year.

Unlike Josh Kelly last year, GWS’ move ensures there will be no-season long contract fanfare over Greene, who was originally contracted until the end of the 2018 season. “He (Kelly) copped it. I wasn’t interested in that,” Greene told reporters with a smile. Greene said he had no hesitation re-signing with the club and was proud of signing an extension that will see him tied to the club until he’s 31-years-old. “It showes a lot of faith in me. I had no hesitations in signing a long-term deal because this is where my home is and this is where I’ve made my best mates coming through the ranks.”

More in the link
Here

GWS star Toby Greene nearing full fitness after 2018 ruined by injury
Jon Ritson, The Daily Telegraph
January 29, 2019 5:37pm

A “wiser” Toby Greene is giving himself every chance of making a lasting contribution to GWS Giants’ 2019 campaign as he battles to make the club’s season-opener against Essendon on March 24.

The 25-year-old forward had ankle surgery in November on the injury he sustained during the club’s semi-final loss to Collingwood at the MCG.
This coming after he played only nine games due to a foot problem, but despite the long spells on the sidelines, he can see light at the end of the tunnel and he’s busting a gut to bring it ever closer.
“It’s a week-by-week thing but it’s going in the right direction,” he told The Daily Telegraph.
“So hopefully in the next four to six weeks I’ll be training with the boys.
“Getting (ankle) surgery was a bit frustrating but it’s all part of it (football).”
And as he puts in the hard yards to give himself the best possible crack at a successful 2019 campaign, Greene admits he is a little smarter for the setbacks.

“Definitely I learnt a lot (last year),” he said.
“It was a frustrating year but you really realise the importance of understanding your body and knowing when to and when not to go too hard.
“No footy player likes being in rehab but you do what’s required.
“Look, it’s just about getting back to full fitness, that’s all I’m aiming for and whatever happens from there I’m confident will be positive.”
While the long road back to the main group is tough, he has had company in the form of pal Jon Patton.
“Jonny has been really unlucky with a few injuries but he’s remaining super positive. I’ve been doing a lot of work with him this last few weeks,” he said.

Senior coach Leon Cameron is also taking the week-by-week approach with Greene, mindful that he wants to give the player the best possible chance of enjoying as lengthy a campaign as possible.
“He’s been running for probably about four weeks now,” Cameron told The Daily Telegraph. “He’s really starting to motor along, tick over and get some yards into his legs.
“We have to be really mindful that we can get Toby ready for 20 games instead of eight to 10 and have interruption. Is it easy? No it isn’t because you always want your quality out there every week.

Pocket Profile

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-04-26/pocket-profile-toby-greene

Name: Toby Greene
Nickname: TF

Any pre-game superstitions or routines: 100 keep ups

Everything's Bigger Up Close. Renew or sign up as a GIANTS 2019 member today and never miss a moment.

Greatest individual effort you have seen on the footy field: Stephen Coniglio set shot in under 18s

A player from another team you would love to play with and why: Tom Mitchell because he shares it around

Best rule in footy: My rule

And the worst: My rule

How many games of footy do you watch each weekend: One

Your favourite TV football show: ESPN FC

Favourite commentator and why: Kane Cornes

Favourite meal the night before a game: Pasta

Which teammate should appear on the next series of The Bachelor: Tommy Sheridan

Teammate most likely to succeed after football and why: Matt de Boer as a future big four banks CEO

Which teammate belts out your club theme song with the most gusto: Aiden Bonar

Favourite Netflix series: The Sinner

Apple Music or Spotify: Spotfiy

Do you play Fortnite: No

Favourite comedian: Carl Barron

Favourite animal and why: Tigers, they are magestic

Favourite section of the AFL Record: Feature story

Your favourite possession: SodaStream

Best gift you have received: Life

If you won Tattslotto, what is the first thing you would buy: Plane ticket

Your favourite holiday destination: Aireys Inlet

The most famous person you have met: Steve Johnson

The most famous person you would like to meet: Mike Tyson

Dream job if you weren’t a footballer: Travel blogger

Dream place to live in the world: New York summer/Sydney summer

What scares you: Jeremy Cameron’s feet

What is the one talent you wish you had: Play piano

More in the link HERE
Mick McGuane Q&A with GWS superstar Toby Greene
Toby Greene’s says he wouldn’t want Malcolm Blight to run into his mother. He tells Mick McGuane how the legendary coach irked his mum and opens up about studs-up and Izzy Folau.

He’s one of the most polarising Giants who has mixed sublime moments of skill with the frustration of injury.

Collingwood legend Mick McGuane goes one-on-one with enigmatic GWS forward Toby Greene to find out what takes the star tick.

MICK McGUANE: It’s a massive game tonight against Essendon — and your old mate Dylan Shiel. How important is it for the Giants to consolidate a top four spot?
TOBY GREENE: I guess every game from now to the end of the season is pretty important. The Bombers are up and about, even if they’ve been a bit inconsistent. I’m looking forward to it. It’s good to play a Thursday night game.

Toby Greene has opened up on life on and off the footy field to Collingwood legend Mick McGuane. Picture: Phil Hillyard
MM: Do you focus more on the Bombers or concentrate more on what you’ve got to do?
TG: It’ll be more about us. Obviously, you’ve got to acknowledge what the opposition are good at. We’ve probably identified a couple of things. We know what we want to do, we just need to keep reinforcing it.

MM: It’s good to see you back playing consistent footy. Is your body feeling the way it should be now with a bit more continuity in performance?
TG: Yeah, it’s starting to feel really good. I had a little bit of an interrupted pre-season with the ankle. I’ve had a really good build into the season. It was a bit annoying with the calf in Round 1. It’s just about continuity now and starting to play consistent, good footy.

MM: Where do you play your best footy?
TG: Forward.

MM: I reckon you are the Giants’ barometer. Do you expect to play more midfield minutes off the back of Matt De Boer’s injury?
TG: Matt’s probably the best in the comp in his role. I don’t know if I’m the man for that. Hopefully one of the younger boys might be able to step up and fill a midfield position, but I’m sure if I have to, I’ll help to chop out a bit.

MM: What’s the Giants’ biggest strength?
TG: Our contested footy and our ability to create goals. We have a lot of hard, contested players. We seem to find different ways to win of late. It’s good to see we can do it in a couple of different ways, like the North Melbourne game. We outscrapped them. Our defensive stuff has gotten much better over the past few years.

MM: The footy public still questions the Giants’ ability to perform in Melbourne, particularly at the MCG. Is that fair?
TG: I don’t buy into it too much. I guess over the past few years we’ve had a couple of bad games there. We won our last game (at the MCG) and we may win a few more games there by the end of the year.
better walk the other way if he sees Toby Greene’s mum in the street. Picture: Tom Huntley

MM: Malcolm Blight recently used a throwaway line after Jeremy Howe wasn’t paid that mark on Queen’s Birthday, saying ‘Toby Greene should never have been born’. He was talking about ‘the Toby Greene’ rule. Were you offended?
TG: I didn’t read too much into Malcolm Blight’s comments. I didn’t even know about it until one of the Giants directors called me. I couldn’t care less.

MM: Leon Cameron stood up for you. He said ‘What would Toby’s mum think?’ For the record, what did your mum think, Tobes?
TG: I wouldn’t want her to run into Malcolm … she’s not too happy with him.
Howe’s studs in the back grab a mark? Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

MM: Was Jeremy Howe’s “mark” a mark?
TG: Personally, I think it should be a mark, but under the new rules it’s pretty clear cut it isn’t. I wasn’t sure why people were debating it. Lots of players over the years have marked like that. I guess it would be something most players would do to gain an edge with the new rules, it’s a free kick unless they alter it at the end of the year.

MM: Did you have to change your marking technique because of the rule change?
TG: I remember doing it a lot when I was playing under 9s for Ashburton and parents hated it, but that’s just how I played. It was always within the rules. Obviously, I’ve had to change it because it’s a free kick every time I do it. It only happens once or twice every five or six weeks so it’s not really a huge factor in how I play.

MM: Did you seek help from a psychologist to manage your discipline issues, on and off the field, to stop spending unnecessary time on the sidelines?
TG: Yeah, it’s obviously taken a few discussions. I also think it’s just natural maturity. It’s not fun when you’re sitting on the sidelines, I learned that pretty quickly. I’ve definitely had to mature since I got drafted. It’s all part of growing up when you’re playing AFL footy.

MM: Has footy helped you evolve as a person?
TG: You have to grow up a lot quicker, especially when you have to move out of home at 18. It’s the best thing that ever happened. Moving out of home with 20 other 18 year-olds is pretty fun. It felt more like a school camp the first couple of years. I wouldn’t change it.

MM: You were drafted as pick 11 in the 2011 national draft. Looking back now, were you ready to go live in a new state?
TG: I actually thought I was going to Brisbane. I was pretty flat when I didn’t. I didn’t know too much about Western Sydney. It’s turned out to be an awesome experience.

MM: Tell us about the influence of Kevin Sheedy, your inaugural coach?
TG: I went for the Bombers growing up, so I always loved Sheedy. He’s definitely an enigma and a big part of the game. If you actually sit down and talk to him he’s so passionate about the game. He has so many ideas that are so different to other people. The game should be so grateful for him.

MM: You were a part of the Giants’ inaugural team in 2012, alongside Israel Folau. He is in the news now for the wrong reasons. Did the Folau AFL experiment work?
TG: I was just worried about what I was going to have for dinner that night back then. I wasn’t too global in my approach. There were definitely a lot of naysayers who thought it wouldn’t work. It was a great experience at the time. He was probably the only one anyone knew in western Sydney at the start.

MM: Do any of you guys have any connection with Israel now?
TG: Not that I know of. I don’t think many boys would catch up with him too much. We occasionally see him around at different training facilities. He was great while he was in the club.

MM: There’s seven players from that 2012 Round 1 team still at the club — Adam Kennedy, Phil Davis, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio, Jeremy Cameron, Adam Tomlinson and yourself. Are you proud to be one of those seven?
TG: It’s pretty cool to say that you were the first to play in a franchise. I’m still here and I’ve obviously got a pretty close bond with all the boys who are still here. Hopefully we’ll win a premiership together.

MM: Have you and Josh Kelly left the Giants with enough money to sign your great mate Stephen Coniglio, who is being chased by Victorian clubs?
TG: (laughs) I think there’s still some money left.
MM: So you’re confident he’ll stay?
TG: Yeah I’m confident.

MM: Was a flag your main motivation for signing a six-year contract with the Giants last year?
TG: I love the club and I love living in Sydney. I didn’t want to sign for a club that wasn’t in a premiership window. So I thought I would stay here for as long as I can.

MM: How have you seen Leon Cameron’s evolution?
TG: He’s been massive for me and for the group as well. He’s very honest and tells you how you’re going. I think he has gotten the best out of me.

MM: Is it insulting when some people suggested he has the keys to the Ferrari and yet still hasn’t won a flag?
TG: No, I think it’s pretty cool. I drive a Volkswagen.

Saturday 20 July 2019

GWS 19.8.122
Collingwood 11.9.75

Toby Greene debuts as captain of GWS

Captain Toby was an inspiring choice
With his entire leadership group missing, Greater Western Sydney coach Leon Cameron picked Toby Greene to skipper his side against Collingwood. The bloke with a club-imposed ban, countless on-field brain fades, and puzzling off-season injuries on his resume. It was a brilliant decision. He could have gone with the experience of Heath Shaw or Brett Deledio, but Cameron knew the standing Greene holds at GWS. No Giant makes his teammates walk taller when he's on the field. Cameron also threw his stand-in skipper in at the opening centre bounce to lead a decimated midfield and at the first change, Greene had racked up 13 possessions. His team had kicked 8.2. The 25-year-old also booted two crucial goals when the Pies threatened early in the last term. Greene has always been the Giants' barometer and the way he's turned his career around is often overlooked, but no player was more important in the Giants' win that could have turned their stuttering season around. - Adam Curley

On Sunday 12 July 2020, Toby Greene will run out for his 150th game. Congratulations on this huge milestone - you've been a fantastic player for our new club.

Capture - TG.PNG
Capture - TG2.PNG

Footy firebrand Toby Greene has declared he wants to be a Giant for life, saying he has no intention of leaving Sydney to play in the AFL's Melbourne fishbowl. Greene will notch his 150th game in Sunday's clash with Port Adelaide, a milestone that will grant him life membership of Greater Western Sydney, a club he says he's enjoyed helping build from the ground up. The 26-year-old said even though he has become "numb" to the media chatter and opposition fan abuse that seem to follow him around perpetually, he could not imagine abandoning his current lifestyle to chase a return to his native Victoria. "I don't think I'd enjoy my footy as much," Greene said. "I guess you'd get used to it, being in one of those Melbourne clubs. I wouldn't know. The only time I'm there is over Christmas and things like that. "I love going back and seeing family and friends, but I love Sydney. That's why I'm sitting in the sun now. You don't get this in Melbourne at the moment."

Greene signed a six-year contract with GWS in 2018, kick-starting a trend of long-term deals that has been followed by fellow stars Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly and Lachie Whitfield. "That's the plan," he said when asked if he'd like to play out his career at the Giants. "I love Sydney, I love the Giants, I've got no reason to leave. I'm one of Sydney's biggest advocates, so it'd be sort of hypocritical of me to leave." Greene has had plenty of time to reflect on last year's finals series, which he described as 95 per cent positive from a team perspective, but "overwhelming" in a personal sense because of his two trips to the AFL tribunal for rough conduct.

He has come to realise that he will probably never shake his polarising reputation and has learnt to live with it. "You sort of just become numb to it I guess," he said. "Maybe three or four years ago you'd take a bit more notice ... [but by now] I've been in most situations and had a lot of people talk about me, so it's not something I really care too much [about] to be honest. I probably will always be one of those players that's talked about, and I guess a lot of people like to watch me as well, so I take that as a positive." Indeed, there are swings and roundabouts. If Greene was arguably the most hated man in the AFL last September, today there is a fair bit of sympathy for him because of his treatment by umpires. Pundits believe Greene has been treated harshly this year by the men in the middle because of who he is, with a number of blatant free-kicks not being awarded his way and other more borderline calls going against him.

Umpire Ray Chamberlain this week dismissed that theory out of hand, while Greene himself doesn't buy into it – although he did have a quiet chuckle at the crowd reaction to him being given a free-kick last week. "I thought I was getting the bronx cheers, but I thought, 'I haven't played that bad, have I?'" he said. "Then I realised it was for the free-kick. I guess it's something that got played up a little bit, but it's not something I ever think about or ever taken into consideration, especially not in a game. I get a couple in front of goal that'd be nice, a bit of repayment."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to our inspirational skipper, Toby Greene, on reaching the 200-game milestone. Second GWS player to notch 200 games for the club, and the first draftee to achieve it.

The superstar forward is the first draftee from the club to reach the landmark number, progressing from a raw, maverick talent taken with pick No.11 in 2011 into arguably the most eye-catching player in the game. His growth has been one of the more fascinating individual player tales over the past decade and will be the subject of much reflection when he leads his charges out onto GMHBA Stadium to face Geelong on Saturday afternoon. "I didn’t know how to make my bed when I moved up so that was big," he said. "It's been a great journey so far, 12 years in Sydney, I've been here since the club started."

Toby Tee.png

Last edited:

EVERYTHING about the captaincy at Greater Western Sydney has seemingly come easy to Toby Greene. He's playing the game as well as he ever has - and that's saying something. His team is back in finals contention and, in the view of many, a serious shot of contending for the flag once more in the near future. And in his first season in the leadership role, the Giants superstar says it's made him a better human.

Speaking to AFL.com.au ahead of GWS' virtual elimination final with Essendon at home on Saturday afternoon, Greene is adamant the captaincy hasn't influenced what has been arguably his finest campaign in the game. The two-time All-Australian has kicked a career best 54 goals and sits second in the competition for score involvements per game. But it's off the field, where being anointed the Giants outright skipper, has wielded the largest influence.

"It's helped me become a better person, I'd say. I don't think I've changed anything in terms of my game. I don't think about anything on the field whether I'm captain or whether I'm not, it's all the same process. But it makes you get outside yourself, you've got to think about 40 guys on the list and working with the coaches, and it probably gives you a more holistic sense of what goes on at the footy club and I've really enjoyed that," Greene said.

While he might deny that the captaincy has helped his game, it certainly hasn't hurt. Greene has been catapulted into 'best player in the AFL' discussions in 2023 and his on-field maturity has shifted the public discourse onto what he does so brilliantly in matches, rather than the flaws.

more in the story

Congratulations to Toby Greene for a stellar 2023 season, named as All Australian forward (third jacket), AND team captain.

Club email congratulating Toby Greene on his AA recognition:

TOBY GREENE NAMED ALL AUSTRALIAN CAPTAIN
GIANTS captain Toby Greene has been recognised as one of the finest players in the game.

Greene has capped off another standout individual season with his third selection in the All Australian team, named as captain for the first time.

The 29-year-old, who was elevated to standalone GIANTS captain for the first time this year, has been named in the forward line of the 2023 All Australian team.

Greene was also awarded the highest accolade at the 2023 AFL Awards, selected as captain of the 22-man side.

Greene has had a career-best season in terms of goals kicked, slotting 60 goals across the home and away season to finish fourth in the Coleman Medal from 21 games.

The inspirational skipper also ranked elite in disposals (17.9 per game) and marks (4.5) to firmly establish himself as one of the competition’s very best.

This is the third time he’s made the All Australian team, adding to selections in 2016 and 2021.

Coach Adam Kingsley praised Greene for his outstanding season.

“I’ve only had the privilege of working with Toby for the past 10 months, but it’s no surprise that he’s been rewarded with these honours,” he said.

“What he’s been able to do on-field this season has been extraordinary. He’s one of the toughest matchups in the game, who constantly stands up in the big moments.

“I’ve loved being able to watch first-hand the way he trains and prepares, he’s one of the most diligent and hard-working players I’ve ever seen, and we see that come to the fore each and every week on the field.

“We made the decision to appoint him as sole captain this year and he’s done a superb job, with the assistance of our vice-captains Stephen Coniglio and Josh Kelly who have each had outstanding seasons too.

“I’ve loved watching how much time Toby spends with the younger players at our club, who are so keen to learn off one of the best in the game.

“We’re very proud of the person and player Toby is and we’re so fortunate to have him leading our football club.”

Greene will lead the GIANTS in their elimination final against St Kilda at the MCG on Saturday, September 9.

GIANTS skipper Toby Greene has capped off his stellar 2023 season with a career-best tally at Monday night’s Brownlow Medal count at Melbourne’s Crown Palladium.

Celebrating his 30th birthday on the night, Greene collected a team-high 20 votes following a standout season which saw him named in his third All-Australian team as well as named All-Australian captain for the first time in his 12-year career. After kicking 60 goals in the home and away season, also the highest tally of his career, the inspirational skipper was rewarded with six best-on-ground performances from the umpires. Prior to Monday night’s count, the enigmatic forward’s best Brownlow tally was 12 votes back in 2020.

As well as finishing fourth in the Coleman Medal, Greene ranked elite in disposals (17.9 per game) and marks (4.5) to firmly establish himself as one of the competition’s very best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back