Traded 4-way pick-swap between Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda and Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne get: pick 17, pick 49, pick 37
Melbourne give: pick 45, pick 33, future 1st (Melb)

Western Bulldogs get: pick 23, pick 44, pick 45
Western Bulldogs give: pick 17, pick 75

St Kilda get: pick 62, pick 66, future 4th (Adel)
St Kilda give: pick 49

Adelaide get: pick 33, future 1st (Melb), pick 75
Adelaide give: pick 37, pick 62, pick 66, future 4th (Adel), pick 23, pick 44

If we finish 10th and the first round pick turns into pick 8 for Adelaide, that is the least of our problems...

I'm sure you can wear a premiership hangover without too much complaining.

Why’s it a loss for the Saints?

For points value I'm giving it a loss, the future 4th needs to be very early to make it a win. When pick 9 is only pick you have and have topped up with FA and trades in past few seasons it's heading down the Geelong path of list management. I don't think this is wise for a club who failed to make the finals.

People said the same thing when we traded a first round pick to get Jackson and Pickett, and then the following year when we got Bowey and Laurie. 2 MASSIVE wins. We get an extra year of development into whoever we choose at pick 17. Worst comes to worse we come 5th next year and we've swapped 17 for 12. Best case scenario is that Jason Taylor (probably the best recruiter in the afl) nails yet another pick and adds further to our young list. And next year, we'll probably trade back into the first round again lol

Worst comes to worse in your eyes is you finish 5th? I would've thought worst would be finishing in the bottom 8 or even bottom 4, few injuries/form drop offs anything could happen. Then this move looks incredibly stupid.

Worst comes to worse in your eyes is you finish 5th? I would've thought worst would be finishing in the bottom 8 or even bottom 4, few injuries/form drop offs anything could happen. Then this move looks incredibly stupid.

Dude we won our finals by 33,84 and 74 points. i'm very confident that we'll make finals.

Pick 17 which will become 19 will be extremely valuable for anyone that wants M.Owens or Windhager on draft night

Current pick 17 is always worth more than a future 17 pick aswell unless the draft is considered ridiculously different in quality

Also pick 49 for example will likely end up being pick 41-43 after Daicos/Darcy

Last edited:
Pick 17 which will become 19 will be extremely valuable for anyone that wants M.Owens or Windhager on draft night

Current pick 17 is always worth more than a future 17 pick aswell unless the draft is considered ridiculously different in quality

100%.

That pick is one of the last picks that can get an NGA aligned player without having the aligned club trump.

Every time Melbourne have done something like this in the past they have had something very specific in mind.

They also definitely value the bird in the hand (drafting someone this year, trading this year’s pick for an established needs player, and get the player in now) vs. two in the bush (wait for next year for what might be better, or worse, depending on draft strength and finishing positions).

Will this pay off for Melbourne. Maybe, maybe not. But this will be part of a plan where Melbourne see they can generate value as has been the case every time they’ve done something similar.

100%.

That pick is one of the last picks that can get an NGA aligned player without having the aligned club trump.

Every time Melbourne have done something like this in the past they have had something very specific in mind.

They also definitely value the bird in the hand (drafting someone this year, trading this year’s pick for an established needs player, and get the player in now) vs. two in the bush (wait for next year for what might be better, or worse, depending on draft strength and finishing positions).

Will this pay off for Melbourne. Maybe, maybe not. But this will be part of a plan where Melbourne see they can generate value as has been the case every time they’ve done something similar.
Also when your In the window you should be trading your F1 every year into the current year. Allows being in the window for longer

The only case when you shouldn't do it is if you want a Ben King type player ala Stkilda, Ess ect

Or it will be consumed in the draft by a father son ect

100%.

1633512155475.gif

For points value I'm giving it a loss, the future 4th needs to be very early to make it a win. When pick 9 is only pick you have and have topped up with FA and trades in past few seasons it's heading down the Geelong path of list management. I don't think this is wise for a club who failed to make the finals.

The 60s picks will come in to the 50s and they would have lost 49 matching an NGA bid anyway. Its an ok deal for them.

Dude we won our finals by 33,84 and 74 points. i'm very confident that we'll make finals.
Not just that, your side torched that Bulldogs side and imo they are a very very strong side. It would have to be cataclysmic for the dees to not be in the finals again...in fact now they have pick swapped with the crows, it guarantees it (crows had your 2nd this year and you won the flag and a few years back they had your 1st and the dees made the prelim)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beautiful no fuss trade between 4 clubs - more top 20 talent heading to the Demons. Think this trade probably sees us out for this year.

Well deserved rest for our recruiters.

🤦🏻‍♂️ Dear oh dear.

I'm sorry but are Melbourne stupid? How is this good in any way for them? I must be missing something
That's what they say every year when we trade our future pick, and yet we still seem to pick a pretty good player and end up at least breaking even if not winning. There is obviously a player we want in the draft. Method in the madness.

That's what they say every year when we trade our future pick, and yet we still seem to pick a pretty good player and end up at least breaking even if not winning. There is obviously a player we want in the draft. Method in the madness.
Mac Andrew?

The fact we only have pick 9 is irrelevant when we also have 2 next generation players that will likely be taken in the 2nd round.

The pick swap looks a loss on points right now but those picks will both rise dramitically when Dogs and Pies use a heap of picks ahead of us for father son points.

It's a smart move.

No loss for saints as late picks likely move up so for few place drop they get an extra pick

The fact we only have pick 9 is irrelevant when we also have 2 next generation players that will likely be taken in the 2nd round.

The pick swap looks a loss on points right now but those picks will both rise dramitically when Dogs and Pies use a heap of picks ahead of us for father son points.

It's a smart move.

So you're saying pick 49 wont rise in points value also?

So you're saying pick 49 wont rise in points value also?
Yes, of course it will, but the fact that there are picks between 45 and 60 means those late picks will go further up the draft.

And there is a fair chance we see these two clubs end up with more picks in this area.

Then there's the future 4th that can be used in some way to trade back into this draft again for more points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back