Delisted #40: Ben Howlett - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Team player in our darkest times is why Ben keeps getting a game.

In a time we don't have Myers, Hoxking, Jobe, Melksham struggling; Benny has done what's been asked of him and is our first 100 game player in the #40 jumper.

I don't really care where he is at now but I have the utmost respect for him as a player for what he's been able to achieve with a somewhat limited ceiling to work with.

Keep going Benny

Annoys me the criticism he cops from this board, I love Benny work rate.
The issue is that he doesn't have any real weapons and has never averaged 20+ disposals over a year. He's Jarryd Blair, except he doesn't kick goals.

Very impressed with Howlett's game on Saturday - He was one player who effectively handled the conditions - His work around the ball was clean.

Damn, a few months ago I said he was one of Essendon's most valued/best players and was called a troll.

he's a very very average player. disposal is his weakness. gets found out against the better sides.

he's a very very average player. disposal is his weakness. gets found out against the better sides.

This is the thing that bemused me most about Hird at the end. Too many players with unreliable disposal end up with the ball in good positions and he wonders why the delivery forward is so bad. There is a reason that so many of our players had 20+ disposals against GC and we still lost.

And you guys still don't think he is a gun? Pretty harsh when you've got a guy like Melksham in the team.

Howlett and Melksham have been in our bottom four to six for most if not all of their respective careers. Both would have been squeezed if we had not mismanaged our season to the extent we did and then suffer injuries to important players (Myers, Hocking and Watson).

These are the types of players that the club needs to get tougher on, not the youngsters who have never gotten the opportunities these guys have (with minimal to no improvement to show for their 100 games).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you guys still don't think he is a gun? Pretty harsh when you've got a guy like Melksham in the team.
Melksham is better than him.

A gun would be able to average 20+ possessions or more than 1 goal a game over his career. Howlett hasn't even done either over a season. He's had 31 games where he's gathered 20+ touches, out of 118. He's never had a 30 possession game. He's kicked 3 goals or more 3 times. He's just a player that's very good at state league level and okay at AFL level.

Melksham is better than him.

A gun would be able to average 20+ possessions or more than 1 goal a game over his career. Howlett hasn't even done either over a season. He's had 31 games where he's gathered 20+ touches, out of 118. He's never had a 30 possession game. He's kicked 3 goals or more 3 times. He's just a player that's very good at state league level and okay at AFL level.

Unfortunately for the Bombers he's also one of our most effective footballers. According to the AFL Player Ratings, he is more effective than the likes of Stanton and Melksham. Maybe the team would benefit more from players making the most of their possessions rather than simply over possessing the football.

Unfortunately for the Bombers he's also one of our most effective footballers. According to the AFL Player Ratings, he is more effective than the likes of Stanton and Melksham. Maybe the team would benefit more from players making the most of their possessions rather than simply over possessing the football.
AFL player ratings is the biggest crock of s**t I've seen in a long time. Biggest waste of time I've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back