Delisted #40: Ben Howlett - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL player ratings is the biggest crock of s**t I've seen in a long time. Biggest waste of time I've seen.

Faced with facts you resort to swearing. Quality argument but completely irrelevant.

For those who understand the way the rankings are calculated - and there would be lucky to be a couple of dozen such people on BF - they compare favourably with advanced metrics used across a range of US sports. Unfortunately, BF and football followers in general remain tethered to 'sophisticated' statistics such as disposal count and disposal efficiency - when they really want to step it up they put players in arbitrary boxes such as 'elite' and 'gun'.

Quite simply there is no factual evidence that Melksham is a better footballer than Howlett is. It is a completely indefensible argument. That won't stop you I'm sure but it also doesn't mean that your opinion should be taken seriously.

Faced with facts you resort to swearing. Quality argument but completely irrelevant.

For those who understand the way the rankings are calculated - and there would be lucky to be a couple of dozen such people on BF - they compare favourably with advanced metrics used across a range of US sports. Unfortunately, BF and football followers in general remain tethered to 'sophisticated' statistics such as disposal count and disposal efficiency - when they really want to step it up they put players in arbitrary boxes such as 'elite' and 'gun'.

Quite simply there is no factual evidence that Melksham is a better footballer than Howlett is. It is a completely indefensible argument. That won't stop you I'm sure but it also doesn't mean that your opinion should be taken seriously.
I have been a fan of Melksham, but the AFL player ratings doesn't even have Hurley in the top 12 defenders this season. That says enough for me.

Neither are players you want in your top 25. I'd take Melksham because he's more versatile IMO.

Unfortunately for the Bombers he's also one of our most effective footballers. According to the AFL Player Ratings, he is more effective than the likes of Stanton and Melksham. Maybe the team would benefit more from players making the most of their possessions rather than simply over possessing the football.

Probably has a lot to do with the fact he hasn't missed many games as the rankings are based off the past 40 games.

Howlett's biggest issue is his running ability. He just doesn't cover enough ground at reasonable speed to be a good AFL player

Dude the rankings are rubbish. Our game's too complex for one ranking system to be adequate. Pointing to them as some sort of definitive proof is bizarre.

I'd take Howlett over Melksham every time.

I have been a fan of Melksham, but the AFL player ratings doesn't even have Hurley in the top 12 defenders this season. That says enough for me.

Neither are players you want in your top 25. I'd take Melksham because he's more versatile IMO.

More versatile at what , stuffing up in multiple positions ?

Would take Ben as depth over Jake but i agree both are fringe players.
As for AFL rankings i find it is always best to take the best parts from all stats .

Welcome back Benny. Will he play in 2017?
I'd say so. Would be in the 25-30 group on the list and they usually get games. No more than 10 I'd say however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good news.
I would be tempted to play Howlett as a half forward in 2017. He has shown in the past he can nail bags of goals when he drifts forward.
Hocking and Bird can play the under the packs/ tagger position

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Welcome back Benny, looking forward to your aggression, attitude and smarts providing a valuable example for our developing players and culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back