Delisted #40: Ben Howlett - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
To have any chance of winning today fringe players like Howlett really need to play excellent games.

Back in the days Howlett used to be good for 1 game a season where he would get like 25 touches 3-4 goals. Not sure I've ever seen him do it against the top team though. But maybe, just maybe today is the day.

Back in the days Howlett used to be good for 1 game a season where he would get like 25 touches 3-4 goals. Not sure I've ever seen him do it against the top team though. But maybe, just maybe today is the day.

He's had 25 and 4 once in his career (also gone 25 and 5 once), in a win against Adelaide in 2013. Wind back the clock Benny!

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just read page 1 of this thread.

Love the retrospective look at the career he has had.

Great stuff from a fellow South West boy.

Likewise have really enjoyed how through determination he continually improved to shine at every level he's played at. As noted, even to the extent where he produced a few dominant offensive games through the midfield circa 2013. Game is getting by him (accelerated by the year out), but would not bet against him finding another niche to successfully fill in the last few weeks of the year setting him up to go again in 2018.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
One of my faves. But writing was on the wall.

He would always give you everything he had, a trait that is not as common as it should be and was a solid foot soldier. For a mature aged rookie pick to play 100+ games is a great effort.

Would not be surprised at all if WCE give him a buzz. They could defiinitely use him.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Sad to see him go but I don't really understand why anyone would think we'd keep him around for depth. What would be the gain other than wasting a list spot? Same goes for Bird.

Back