Delisted #40: Ben Howlett - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone were to come knocking they would have signed him as an UFA
I think due to the new rookie rules (can play from round 1 regardless of circumstances) that alot of the 2nd chance scenarios at other clubs will be as rookie listed players rather than senior listed.

I always thought he added something to the side despite his limitations, a hardness, even in the games he played this year. I thought he was ok when given an opportunity.

I may be on my own there though

Equal parts surprised and happy that we have been this ruthless.

It's a throw away line that gets used a lot but Howlett was the epitome of a 'VFL player' as far as I'm concerned. He could dominate a VFL game like few others but never translated that into consistent AFL standard performances as a midfielder. He was good enough forward to have a few big games and to play as a role player but the reality is that his career was extended artificially as part of the fallout of the supplements saga (he would otherwise have become a Blue at the end of 2014 and who knows what would have happened then).

I had a lot of respect for his approach on field where he was tough and selfless. I doubt that he could have gotten much more out of his natural ability so he should be happy with a 100 game career.

Last edited:
Equal parts surprised and happy that we have been this ruthless.

It's a throw away line that gets used a lot but Howlett was the epitome of a 'VFL player' as far as I'm concerned. He could dominate a VFL game like few we have had but never translated that into consistent AFL standard performances as a midfielder. He was good enough forward to have a few big games and to play as a role player.

Had a lot of respect for his approach on field where he was tough and selfless. I doubt that he could have gotten much more out of his natural ability so he should be happy with his career.

Would be great for our VFL side.

:(:(
Didn't want to hear this news but I guessed it was probably coming.

One of my favourite players and im happy I got the chance to meet him this year.

Good luck on the next step Benny, thanks for everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a real soft spot for Ben, as he was a battler and a half when ever he crossed the white line.

As much as he had his stints in the middle, he had some great games going forward for us and snagging goals.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't throw his hat in the ring for another crack,as I still think he has some depth to offer a team out of the 8. Maybe Hawthorn could see value in his bullish approach, now they they've shelved Hodge and Lewis over the last two years?

Out: deadwood
In: Players who can find the football and use it.

Was a journeyman and a battler, tried his best but didn't cut the mustard. Was never going to be in a top 4 side let alone one that’s capable of winning a premiership

Had some good games for us at various times. Including a few blinders but unfortunately most of the time he was just a solid midfielder that got below average numbers except for tackles.

The correct decision has been made but I'm sad to see him go.

It was the unnoticed things that made him a great player for our club, in particular when you peered at the tackle column next to his name.

Would love him to continue with the VFL team but I reckon he'll end up back in the WAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back