750485.jpg
Mabon(1).jpg

[YOUTUBE]w1UGGokC3ew[/YOUTUBE]​

Number: 40
Height: 200cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 14/06/92
Club: North Ballarat Rebels (Vic)

After moving on David Hale in the 2010 trade period, NMFC was always looking for a great ruck prospect in the 2010 draft. Thrilled to find Ben Mabon still available, NMFC secured him with pick 71.

Hard-running ruckman with a decent leap. NSW/ACT representative in 2010 NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging over 15 hitouts a game. Works hard in defence, with nine rebound 50s through the championships.

Brad Scott says: Ben is a developing ruckman and someone we are rapt to have on our list.

While we're really happy with Todd Goldstein and Hamish McIntosh, we don't really have a developing ruckman on our list. Ben's certainly a quality developing ruckman and we'll spend some time developing him.

Kevin Sheehan says: Aggressive and athletic ruckman with excellent work ethic and technique with his stoppage work. NSW/ACT representative at the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

Stats (aggregate for 2010 U18 Championships)
Code:
 Games 	 K 	 H 	 D 	 M 	G      H/O
   4 	27 	15 	42 	14 	0 	62

In his own words
What type of player are you?
An athletic, running ruckman who is hard-working, willing to listen and developing.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Hard to compare because no AFL ruckman is not developed like I am.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
My controlled aggression around contests, tap ruck work and ground balls, and work ethic.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Strength in ruck contests in the centre and around the ground, presence in the air and marking.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Carlton - my old man got me into them.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My parents. Sending me away to boarding school has enabled me to receive coaching from quality coaches, and I have developed as a player and a person.

I remember going to training over the summer and thinking that there is no way he is 200cm tall. A video on the club web site, "who is Greg Sawn", indicates that this is true.

That said, I reckon with his mobility that there is a chance that he will end up a KPF/relief ruck like Daw. He needs to add about 15 kgs of muscle and work on his contested marking, but athletically and skill wise he is really strong.

Will he be ready to share ruck duties with Majak for Werribee's senior side next year?
Wouldn't mind seeing him in tandem with the Big O at the Roosters next year. He could take the ruck for 25%, play CHF and ruck in the forward 50 the rest of the time with the O sitting behind the ball.

That is if Orren is going around again.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in tandem with the Big O at the Roosters next year. He could take the ruck for 25%, play CHF and ruck in the forward 50 the rest of the time with the O sitting behind the ball.

That is if Orren is going around again.
I imagine we will be looking at drafting another developing ruckman this year. I would like whoever that is to play with Orren at the Roosters. Mabon and Daw as a combination sounds exciting and I think they will compliment each other quite well. Both will eventually have the ability to be effective up forward as well as offering plenty on ball.

It will be interesting to see how much size Mabon has put on come the NAB Cup next year. Also how his body responds to all that extra size. I have a good feeling about the lad though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you haven't debuted as player, you can become a bit of ghost around here. 2013 will Ben's 3rd year at the club and to be honest he doesn't look any closer to getting a gig in the seniors. That's not a knock on him, what can you do if their are guys ahead of you in the pecking order. With Hamish leaving I thought 2013 could Ben's year to break into the side. It still could be, but unlikely given Daw's promotion to the seniors, Currie's first hit out last week was very good and Goldie being #1 ruckman. Other than injury to those 3 players just mentioned, how can he get into the side?

We all know he is popular figure at the club but sooner or later a tough decision is gonna have to be made regarding his future. Does anyone here think 2013 could be his last year on our list? Depending what and how many we invest in 2013 draft, it could very well be his last season.

I think he is safe 1-2 more years at least.

0l5lqj1.gif

Gone end of this year. Currie is proof there are great middle aged rucks between 21-25 years old. Why waste 5 years of development for a ruck when you can trade a 1st round pick for one from another team ala Jacobs, Macca, Maric, Mummy etc. let other clubs draft rucks, we should just trade for one every 8 years.

He's transformed his body recently. Packed on a lot of muscle. That's a good start. Will be interesting to follow his progress this year.

I'm still skeptical of his listed height.

Too small to be a ruck at AFL level. Unless he adds the ability to play a key position to his repertoire I don't see much of a future for him at North. Pity, he has some good atributes.

He is a ruckman in his third year. Bit early to be making a call. Wasn't a high draft pick but to me he does show something. Well worth persisting for at least another year or two.

Hale and Hamish didn't make any meaningful senior contributions until their 4th seasons.

Given Ben is more speculative than either, a non-debut in 2013 will not mean much.

If he is not starting to dominate VFL next year - and in what position is up for debate - it may count against him.

He's transformed his body recently. Packed on a lot of muscle. That's a good start. Will be interesting to follow his progress this year.

I'm still skeptical of his listed height.
Looked significantly smaller than both Goldy and Currie at the intra club, both in bulk and height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back