Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

200cm is fine if you Move Like Marbs.

If he'd got 22 games purely as a KPF this year I think his output would have certainly been in the perfectly acceptable 30+ goals a season range and I doubt anyone would bother making a case that Lynch is a better asset as a forward half ruckman.

Not sure on that Chol looks lost up forward bigtime doesn't stay in the game.

Not sure on that Chol looks lost up forward bigtime doesn't stay in the game.

Didn't look very "lost" when he kicked four straight against a top-4 side in a match-winning performance from 56% game time, which was his first game of the season where he wasn't first ruck. He had a dozen hitouts and four clearances while he was at it.

Pretty incredible effort playing interstate, backing up on a 5-day break from a game where he rolled his ankle in the 1Q, rucked solo and finished utterly exhausted, most especially from a <30 game player.

But some people would only very grudgingly change their opinion if he did that every 2nd week and won a Coleman while playing 2nd ruck from 60% game time and I'm sure they'd still find fodder to criticise him endlessly, so there's little point debating the matter with them. :thumbsu:

Didn't look very "lost" when he kicked four straight against a top-4 side in a match-winning performance from 56% game time, which was his first game of the season where he wasn't first ruck. He had a dozen hitouts and four clearances while he was at it.

Pretty incredible effort playing interstate, backing up on a 5-day break from a game where he rolled his ankle in the 1Q, rucked solo and finished utterly exhausted, most especially from a <30 game player.

But some people would only very grudgingly change their opinion if he did that every 2nd week and won a Coleman while playing 2nd ruck from 60% game time and I'm sure they'd still find fodder to criticise him endlessly, so there's little point debating the matter with them. :thumbsu:

Spot on.

Everyone here says "I'm going to back the brains trust", yet when that same "Brains Trust" also wanted to KEEP both CCJ & Chol & failed to do so, they act like they are "no big lose" & its all "part of the plan".

Spot on.

Everyone here says "I'm going to back the brains trust", yet when that same "Brains Trust" also wanted to KEEP both CCJ & Chol & failed to do so, they act like they are "no big lose" & its all "part of the plan".

Im not too sure about failing to do so

Im sure if we were to pay them what they will be paid by 2 clubs that have been on the bottom for a few years and cap space available
Would it have been smart to over pay players which the club seems to have rated as just depth ?

Im not really too concerned with either leaving TBH

Im not too sure about failing to do so

Im sure if we were to pay them what they will be paid by 2 clubs that have been on the bottom for a few years and cap space available
Would it have been smart to over pay players which the club seems to have rated as just depth ?

Im not really too concerned with either leaving TBH

We wanted to sign them, and it appears we haven't. What you are outlining if just pointing out the reason that we failed in that attempt. These players don't appear to be leaving just for the money - it sounds like they wanted to move on to further their career as they feel like they will have more reason to do so. That is what you call "failing" to achieve what you hoped

Last edited:
We wanted to sign them, and it appears we haven't. What you are outlining if just pointing out the reason that we failed in that attempt. These players don't appear to be leaving just for the money - it sounds like they wanted to move on to further their career as they feel like they will have more reason to do so. That is what you call "failing" to achieve what you hoped

Happy to sign them on our terms and not going over those terms is not a loss it’s proper list management of fringe players

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s scared of body contact and timid especially when trying to mark overhead. Nice kicking action and little else

You have to wonder whether Marbs' army of knockers just don't watch our games, suffer from crippling cases of confirmation bias, have memories like sieves, or are just clueless about football and woeful judges of a player.

Quite probably at least two of the four.

Just a "[n]ice kicking action and little else"...

So much 'fear and timidity' whenever he competes in the air...

You can make an argument he doesn't show strength and courage in the air often enough yet, but saying he never does or can't, or is "scared" is just absolute horseshit, as is any assertion he has a decent kicking action and "little else."

You have to wonder whether Marbs' army of knockers just don't watch our games, suffer from crippling cases of confirmation bias, have memories like sieves, or are just clueless about football and woeful judges of a player.

You can make an argument he doesn't show strength and courage in the air often enough yet, but saying he never does or can't, or is "scared" is just absolute horseshit, as is any assertion he has a decent kicking action and "little else."

One of the least competitive players in the league with little mongrel and at 25 running out of time.

Love chol and hope he does well but happy to move on

Please re-watch that game. You are getting sucked in by the stats. Yes, he did kick 4 goals and help to win the match. A couple of them were pretty good too. But he was horrible around the ground as was a constant liability in marking contests. Soldo/Nank and even CCJ were at least able to halve contests if they didn't take the grab. Chol finds himself being knocked out of the contest incredibly easily.

He was terrible outside of the goals. And how often is he going to kick 4 goals a game?

Please re-watch that game. You are getting sucked in by the stats. Yes, he did kick 4 goals and help to win the match. A couple of them were pretty good too. But he was horrible around the ground as was a constant liability in marking contests. Soldo/Nank and even CCJ were at least able to halve contests if they didn't take the grab. Chol finds himself being knocked out of the contest incredibly easily.

He was terrible outside of the goals. And how often is he going to kick 4 goals a game?

Thanks for volunteering to serve as an outstanding example of exactly whay I'm talking about.

McInerney took ZERO marks in that match. ZERO. Fullarton took one mark. Daniher took three - none of them were on Chol.

So which Brisbane player was making Chol a "constant liability in marking contests?" Who was taking all these marks in contests which Chol 'couldn't halve?'

The one(s) in your horribly biased imagination?

Chol took four marks - four times as many as Brisbane's entire ruck division - and as anyone who bothers to watch can see in the highlights above, two of them he jumped all over McInerney and smashed him in a direct 1:1 aerial contest.

He was "terrible outside of the goals" - yet he had a dozen hitouts with numerous to advantage as shown in the highlights above, was our 2nd highest clearance winner and had 6 contested possessions. In 56% game time.

Added to that, just in the highlights above, he out-bodies McInerney numerous times in ruck contests and kicks a goal directly from out-bodying Payne at the top of the goalsquare, yet you claim he is "knocked out of the contest incredibly easily."

As I said above, the people who are determined to direct abuse at him no matter what he does - even including games where he is a clear match-winner and picks up a Brownlow vote - will just invent their reasons if there aren't any to find here in the real world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if you’ll always act like a smug self righteous campaigner whenever anyone has the temerity to have an opinion contrary to your own.
As for your condescending little rant I played footy in 3 different states over 17 years and am a life member of a couple of clubs so I reckon I’m entitled to my own opinion.
Chol is no great loss and while occasionally shows a glimpse is not irreplaceable at senior AFL level.
Sorry if that hurts precious but I’m sure you’ll learn to deal with it on forum where we cast our thoughts.

I wonder if you’ll always act like a smug self righteous campaigner whenever anyone has the temerity to have an opinion contrary to your own.
As for your condescending little rant I played footy in 3 different states over 17 years and am a life member of a couple of clubs so I reckon I’m entitled to my own opinion.
Chol is no great loss and while occasionally shows a glimpse is not irreplaceable at senior AFL level.
Sorry if that hurts precious but I’m sure you’ll learn to deal with it on forum where we cast our thoughts.
Easy boys and girls. Respect each other’s opinion and agree to disagree.

Thanks for volunteering to serve as an outstanding example of exactly whay I'm talking about.

McInerney took ZERO marks in that match. ZERO. Fullarton took one mark. Daniher took three - none of them were on Chol.

So which Brisbane player was making Chol a "constant liability in marking contests?" Who was taking all these marks in contests which Chol 'couldn't halve?'

The one(s) in your horribly biased imagination?

Chol took four marks - four times as many as Brisbane's entire ruck division - and as anyone who bothers to watch can see in the highlights above, two of them he jumped all over McInerney and smashed him in a direct 1:1 aerial contest.

He was "terrible outside of the goals" - yet he had a dozen hitouts with numerous to advantage as shown in the highlights above, was our 2nd highest clearance winner and had 6 contested possessions. In 56% game time.

Added to that, just in the highlights above, he out-bodies McInerney numerous times in ruck contests and kicks a goal directly from out-bodying Payne at the top of the goalsquare, yet you claim he is "knocked out of the contest incredibly easily."

As I said above, the people who are determined to direct abuse at him no matter what he does - even including games where he is a clear match-winner and picks up a Brownlow vote - will just invent their reasons if there aren't any to find here in the real world.

Mate, again all you are doing is spouting stats. He had a great highlight package that game, but watch it in it’s entirety and you will see he was a liability for us.

Not sure why you are so worked up about this, I haven’t directed any abuse his way?Unfortunately he’s an in-between player. He’ll never be a great #1 ruck and he’s probably never going to be a starting forward in a great side either due to his consistency.

That said, I’m very happy to see him grab a 3-4 year contract at the Suns on good coin and wish him all the best. Have met him out a couple times and he’s a ripper bloke.

I think the proof will be in the pudding when you see how he goes up there, but happy to be proven wrong.

Until then, stay off the AFL app and try watching a full game and not just the highlights before you comment on players going forward.

Also, why would Fullarton and Daniher’s marks matter? They played up forward, as did Chol for most of the game. Which by my calculations puts them at opposite ends of the ground.

The talls who were at Chol‘s end of the ground (Payne and Andrews) did however combine for 17 marks.

Please underline, bold and increase the size of those stats too if used in your reply!

We should be viewing 38 as valuable, not useless.
Bulldogs 17 is with 1025 points
Pick 38 (465) + Pick 28 (677) = 1142 points. To sweeten the deal this year with more points we could even throw in pick 40 (429) for their future second.

38+28 for 17 or 38+28+40 for 17 + future second

Hit the draft with 7, 15, 17, 26, 44 + future second 2022

I would ask for 20 (which we won't get) and then ask for a 2022 second rounder and a swap of third rounders in 2021. Let's see if North back themselves to not win the spoon in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back