Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum Coleman-Jones is looking forward to working with Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/49b29a957eb5ba0e861c6a992229b4e9

CALLUM Coleman-Jones is stoked to start his AFL career at Richmond with premiership midfielder, Norm Smith Medallist and Brownlow winner Dustin Martin. But it is the Tigers’ premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis that Coleman-Jones is most looking forward to meeting and going head-to-head with at training.

Richmond selected the Sturt 201cm, 98kg ruckman/forward with pick 20 at the AFL national draft on Friday night. Speaking to the Advertiser after the Tigers called out his name, the SA under-18 captain could not believe his luck when the reigning premiers picked him.
“Being a tall bloke, getting to know Toby Nankervis is definitely something I want to do and learn his craft,” Coleman-Jones, 18, says.

7e1ca5a498f174cd327ddd09bd512d8c

“He’s (Nankervis) had a ripper year as well, so I definitely want to meet him. “It’s pretty unreal. “I couldn’t ask for a better team to be drafted to after they just won the premiership. “I couldn’t be more stoked to go over to Melbourne and get started.”

Coleman-Jones might, however, ask Martin to teach him how to master the famous “fend-off” “Wouldn’t hurt learning that from him (Martin),” Coleman-Jones said with a laugh.

Coleman-Jones stood out with SA during this year’s national carnival and although he was hampered by a knee injury, he averaged 17 disposals and 19 hit-outs.

It led to his selection in the All-Australian under-18 side.

The small tear in his left patella cut his season short and forced him to undergo minor surgery in August.

But Coleman-Jones, who watched the draft at home in Adelaide with family and friends, says the knee is fine and he is keen to get over to Punt Rd and add depth to the Tigers’ list.

“It’s been about 9-10 weeks post-operation and it wasn’t a major operation, so it’s feeling good,” Coleman-Jones said.

“I think my contested marking and versatility around the ground are my strengths. “The family was pretty happy when my name got called out. “They are fine with me moving away especially because it’s in Melbourne. “It’s only a 50-minute flight from Adelaide, so I think they are pretty happy with it.”

Last edited:
Interesting pick, but will have plenty of time in the VFL to develop. Going to be interesting to see which talls are still there at the end of 2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A curious selection.
All the talk was Sam Hayes as the best ruck prospect in this draft, with a knock on his endurance.
On the night, Hayes dropped out of the top 40, and this guy goes much earlier than most.
I was concerned about this one because of the buzz about Hayes, but then 26 other selections passed on Hayes so, if Richmond has this wrong, so do about 15 other clubs (including Carlton, which also picked a ruckman before Hayes).
Did any of the so-called experts have Callum Coleman-Jones at 20 or less?
Just proves that most so called experts (media) have no idea

He’s very mobile from the video which is a great sign for the modern game. Clean below his knees and can clunk them. We obviously back ourselves in to fix their kicking styles given we took Garthwaite last year and CCJ this year...

I can see him and Higgins both getting some game time in 2017 (CCJ as a CHF)

He’s very mobile from the video which is a great sign for the modern game. Clean below his knees and can clunk them. We obviously back ourselves in to fix their kicking styles given we took Garthwaite last year and CCJ this year...

I can see him and Higgins both getting some game time in 2017 (CCJ as a CHF)
Garth's kicking isn't inaccurate. We haven't really fixed his kicking style.

Seems really clean below the knees and can dish it off quickly.

Without putting too much pressure on the kid. He could be the more important draftee from this years crop in terms of our clubs needs and structure once Jack hangs them up.

Callum absolutely is not a key forward and hence no chance of replacing Jack. He's a ruckman who can pinch hit forward. What goes unnoticed is that Jack has become a running machine...from one marking contest to the next. Once it hits the ground, Jack follows up with another contest. Callum is not that type of player...just doesn't have the speed, mobility and agility of a key forward like Jack.

Interestingly, I do see him as somewhat of a clone for Nankervis.

Stoked to have a sturt lad at the mighty tigers seen him play a few times kid will be a beast best Rickman/forward they have produced since grundy.. Took him at 20.when I thought he would still be there at 25 but we obviously got wind other teams were keen on him so pounced .. Reminded me of more a Ruckman version of young Peter Wright not as good a kick but more agile and better around the ground will still do some damage up forward and will be a great tandem with nank the tank in the future..
Welcome to tigerland lad go get them

Looks like an angry sob, no smiling in those photos, ready to eat raw steak and play that wrecking ball role in the ruck.
I reckon this will turn out to be a very good selection he brings
Leadership - captain of the SA u18 team
Physicality - which imo is a must in the ruck role
has a decent tank
and as Dan Richardson mentioned last night on SEN can play dual roles (ruck/forward)

Looks like an angry sob, no smiling in those photos, ready to eat raw steak and play that wrecking ball role in the ruck.
I reckon this will turn out to be a very good selection he brings
Leadership - captain of the SA u18 team
Physicality - which imo is a must in the ruck role
has a decent tank
and as Dan Richardson mentioned last night on SEN can play dual roles (ruck/forward)
Can you remember when they interviewed dan? I tried to find the actual interview on the podcast but couldn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back