Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon CCJ is a very smart pick. What I really liked last year was that he was the best contested mark in the draft (that alone is worth gold and jewels to me) and was a mobile tall RR more than a pure ruck. Also has was the state team captain and considered a genuine leader.

So my thinking was that maybe he didn't stand out like a beacon. But we knew for certain he was tall enough and had enough mobility to work at the AFL level, and that he would be a top quality mark. Plus his leadership etc seemed to lead to a good attitude. So the starting point to me was a low risk of failure. If at worst we got a monster KPF that could take a good grab that is worth the pick.

That he can ruck and showed he could rack up the touches around the ground, and had decent skills, is a massive upside to me.

He looked like a draft pick that was low risk, high upside. And he would fill in a KPF/ruck role.

Conversely Balta was all talent, but high risk. I'd prefer to take the low risk/high return, than the high risk/brilliant return option.

And we got both. :D:thumbsu::rainbow:

Also, I suspect Miller will take a bit longer. But that country football, dedicated, type often is a jewel in the dirt player.

Still like what CCj brings to the table. Good pick up.

I reckon CCJ is a very smart pick. What I really liked last year was that he was the best contested mark in the draft (that alone is worth gold and jewels to me) and was a mobile tall RR more than a pure ruck. Also has was the state team captain and considered a genuine leader.

So my thinking was that maybe he didn't stand out like a beacon. But we knew for certain he was tall enough and had enough mobility to work at the AFL level, and that he would be a top quality mark. Plus his leadership etc seemed to lead to a good attitude. So the starting point to me was a low risk of failure. If at worst we got a monster KPF that could take a good grab that is worth the pick.

That he can ruck and showed he could rack up the touches around the ground, and had decent skills, is a massive upside to me.

He looked like a draft pick that was low risk, high upside. And he would fill in a KPF/ruck role.

Conversely Balta was all talent, but high risk. I'd prefer to take the low risk/high return, than the high risk/brilliant return option.

And we got both. :D:thumbsu::rainbow:

Also, I suspect Miller will take a bit longer. But that country football, dedicated, type often is a jewel in the dirt player.

Still like what CCj brings to the table. Good pick up.

Great post summed it up nicely I seen a bit of him at sturt last year and very much in the Toby Nankervis role but alot more capable as a forward. I think Toby will be hanging till this kid is ready to give him a chop out.
He lacks a bit of a leap but has grown a few centimeters so should end up around the 202/204 cm hopefully and already weighing mid 90s knows how to use his body to advantage.
Hopefully he can continue his progress in the vfl over the next month or so and wouldn't be at all surprised to see him given a crack for a few weeks at the second tall spot could really surprise I think.

Wait, so if Coleman Jones comes into the side as a second ruck then Moore will no longer be required? But given that reiwoldt is almost 30 and moore is only 21 there will still be time for him to etch his place in the team as the key position forward while Coleman Jones is the main ruck.

Wait, so if Coleman Jones comes into the side as a second ruck then Moore will no longer be required? But given that reiwoldt is almost 30 and moore is only 21 there will still be time for him to etch his place in the team as the key position forward while Coleman Jones is the main ruck.
Yes.

Might get another chance, might not. Is out of contract.

Hardwick said they are treating KPPs a little differently now in their development. They will play a few weeks then have a week or two off. They will train them in those weeks off so they become accustomed to the weight they are gaining. CCJ has already put on 7kg since arriving. Pretty smart if you ask me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the people that may not be aware Callum Coleman Jones just turned 19 3 days ago, So i am expecting a significant amount of development in him as well as some physical growth. If he does actually end up 202-204 that would be great for his rucking as mentioned doesnt have a massive leap

Yeah come on mate...explain the intricacies of that one again please...:think::)

"Deledio became a Giant just minutes before the deadline of this year's NAB AFL trade period, in exchange for a first- and third-round selection at next year's draft."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/giants-grab-star-tiger-brett-deledio-in-final-hour

Richmond on traded the #15 recieved for Deledio to brisbane for picks #20 & #25 which was used to secure Coleman-Jones & Balta and the 3rd rounder was used to match the bid for Naish

Out: Brett Deledio
In: Coleman-Jones , Balta , Naish

"Deledio became a Giant just minutes before the deadline of this year's NAB AFL trade period, in exchange for a first- and third-round selection at next year's draft."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/giants-grab-star-tiger-brett-deledio-in-final-hour

Richmond on traded the #15 recieved for Deledio to brisbane for picks #20 & #25 which was used to secure Coleman-Jones & Balta and the 3rd rounder was used to match the bid for Naish

gee thats a great result for us. CCjones will be no 1 ruc in 2 years. he is a genuine ruchman. balta will be flying of the half back line. naish may be on the wing.

:thumbsu:

But Naish went at 34, 2nd round. If I remember, we didnt have a normal 2nd round pick, so where did we get enough points? Did we use the extra 3rd round and our normal 3rd round to get the matching points?

But Naish went at 34, 2nd round. If I remember, we didnt have a normal 2nd round pick, so where did we get enough points? Did we use the extra 3rd round and our normal 3rd round to get the matching points?
Discount

Hardwick said they are treating KPPs a little differently now in their development. They will play a few weeks then have a week or two off. They will train them in those weeks off so they become accustomed to the weight they are gaining. CCJ has already put on 7kg since arriving. Pretty smart if you ask me.

Sensational!! It shows as premiers we are prepared to be inovative in gaining a competitive advantage and continuing to grow as a club.....Love It !!!

this is why we can afford to trade a tall like Moore, we have talls coming on and smalls and flankers in abundance, but we have only 3 genuine centre bounce mids in Dusty, Cotch and Prestia, need a big bodied ball magnet
Why do we need to trade Moore after investing 3 years of development into him ?? thats just crazy unless we think he wont make it and if thats the case nobody els would take him any way.

We will have 4 selections in the draft so can look to get a Inside mid with these picks what difference would a #55 we get for Moore make to our current selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back