Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I was all for delisting Chol. But he excelled in yesterday's game as first ruck. BOG in fact. Can rookies be given 1 year extensions?

This is one of the problems most clubs face, you have to carry more ruck men on your list than you need if they are all fit. So players like Chol and Coleman-Jones have not only been struggling to get a good run in the ruck at reserves level, but have also been competing with each other and Moore and sometimes even Miller this year to be the tall forward target. Now Moore and Nankervis are out injured and Soldo missed a match you got a chance to see where Chol and CCJ were with their development and you could only be very pleased with what you saw from both.

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Incredible athelete who's had to learn how to football. Always been a project player so I'd hope we can keep him until that all important age of ~24 for developing ruckman. Then if he's still not making at AFL level, he should have some trade value. Clubs are often looking for a decent ruckman that can't squeeze into the one's because there's others in front of him.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
He got a taste, but didnt impact enough for mine to keep Soldo out. That's perfectly fine at this stage.

Honest review is he probably isnt ready this year, and understandably only got a game because of injury/suspension.

As a way too early call, I think he is more a ruckman that can drift forward. He didnt look overly mobile or agile for me, and not that limber at ground level. Not sure he is rounded enough to be a predominant forward, however could definitely be a good endurance ruckman that can drift forward.

Could see him as a Ben McEvoy type player.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
bulk up young fella...with human brains if needed...don't care...just do it...NOM NOM NOM

il_570xN.201929651.jpg

Poska

All Australian
Jul 10, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
There doesn’t seem to be much hype around this kid when there probably should be. Every time I’ve watched VFL this season (about 50% of games) he has looked impressive. His stats are very good. He’s been regularly getting around 20 disposals per game. He takes marks, he kicks goals and he wins hitouts. He’ll be best 22 next season.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
There doesn’t seem to be much hype around this kid when there probably should be. Every time I’ve watched VFL this season (about 50% of games) he has looked impressive. His stats are very good. He’s been regularly getting around 20 disposals per game. He takes marks, he kicks goals and he wins hitouts. He’ll be best 22 next season.
But what about Cholly?!?!?!?!?

CCJ has a pretty stacked list of rucks to bully his way through.

Soldo is doing great guns as a genuine AFL tap ruck. Chol is asolid #2 ruck and forward. Nank is well, just awesome.

CCJ has got to show a lot to get through them all. And they are all young, so it'll be interesting to see how it is in 12 months.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league

This kid can play key position for me solely forward that's how good he is. He is the best out of our rucks who can play that forward role to.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
This kid can play key position for me solely forward that's how good he is. He is the best out of our rucks who can play that forward role to.

has to play forward i think

massive presence down there, good potential

20yr 2mth 13 Jun 1999
200cm
97kg

Itll be very sad when Jack finally hangs them up - hopefully a long time from now - but Lynch/CCJ/Balta has good upside

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
How do we go about this? Obviously Nank is our number 1 ruck and rightly so. But Soldo has really come on this year and demanded a best 22 spot. CCJ looks like he could be anything and Chol has a lot of promise. Can realistically only play 2 at AFL at any one time. My combo from next year would be Nank/CCJ. CCJ looks to have the best forward craft from the 3 “reserve rucks” and can find the pill

Pretty sure CCJ signed on for another 2 years earlier in the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two years just before the start of the season

Club are all over it he’s a jet

Might be missing the mark here as I kind of forgot what he was like but is CCJ a clone of Brad Ottens? His VFL stats are pretty much identical to Ottens.
He reminds me a little of a young Justin Charles.

Very impressive today. He's building nicely.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Might be missing the mark here as I kind of forgot what he was like but is CCJ a clone of Brad Ottens? His VFL stats are pretty much identical to Ottens.
He reminds me a little of a young Justin Charles.

Very impressive today. He's building nicely.
Not as athletic as either of those guys. He's a more mobile Fat Boy McEvoy.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
CCJ had a pretty decent game when he played when Soldo got suspended.

Why didn't we try him more?

Reckon he could be pretty handy, Chol and Balta have both slowed right down only getting 5 odd touches a game.

Back