Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope you are right.

Just for interest sake. Comparison to Soldo. Ivan is huge and out muscles most AFL rucks already. His taps are usually to advantage. And he controls the stoppages through sheer power, helping our mids get the ball or stopping the opposition.

I'm aware CCJ is much more mobile (not hard :p). But relatively how competitive in taps is he? And in stoppages does he act like a monster mid (Nank), muscle monster (Soldo), or more a mobile mid like Grundy, or something else,
I canna get a handle on CCJ ruck wise in comparison to our other Ruck stocks...maybe CCJ is still too young...like Balta, Like Cholly, like Soldo still is and Nank!

I hope you are right.

Just for interest sake. Comparison to Soldo. Ivan is huge and out muscles most AFL rucks already. His taps are usually to advantage. And he controls the stoppages through sheer power, helping our mids get the ball or stopping the opposition.

I'm aware CCJ is much more mobile (not hard :p). But relatively how competitive in taps is he? And in stoppages does he act like a monster mid (Nank), muscle monster (Soldo), or more a mobile mid like Grundy, or something else,

his closest comparison is Grundy imo

gets more of the ball than all our rucks and is extremely mobile for a bloke that big

Not sold ho on the CCJ hype at the moment...I'm not sure how he even gets off the ground to take a grab...McEvoy is a good comparison, if he gets there!
From what i have seen reckon he looks a JR replacement that can take the Ruck work up forward...for me he lacks that zip of certainty...impact!
The contrast between him and Balta/Chol is huge...go so far to say even Nank/Soldo...

He is 20 Jak. Bonus is he is now playing very very well at VFL level. Every time our VFL games are broadcast he is noticed by the callers who cover a lot of VFL. He is pretty highly rated within the club. Can't ask for much more than that.
Chol/Soldo have 2-3 years on CCJ and the comparisons at the same age has CCJ MILES in front.
Balta, who is similar age is an athletic freak but really, he is yet to show anything major in terms of football ability so I'm not convinced he is really that far ahead of CCJ on that front. Balta is a bit more versatile and that with his athletic traits has seen him play more AFL.

We just have to be patient. With the massive improvement shown by CCJ / Chol / Soldo this year who knows how much better they will all be in 12 months and what the pecking order is.

gets more of the ball than all our rucks and is extremely mobile for a bloke that big

While Grundy is hard to compare to because he may even be the first Ruck in a long time to win a Brownlow, I'd probably liken big CCJ more to another rising Ruck talent in English from the Doggies. Both are good athletes for their size and both are approaching being elite (for Ruckman) below their knees.

I hope you are right.

Every game he gets better and better
A natural footballer very smart
Is a real competitor, definitely doesn't
Lack any physicality, just needs a little
More time to fully mature

While Grundy is hard to compare to because he may even be the first Ruck in a long time to win a Brownlow, I'd probably liken big CCJ more to another rising Ruck talent in English from the Doggies. Both are good athletes for their size and both are approaching being elite (for Ruckman) below their knees.
Every game he gets better and better
A natural footballer very smart
Is a real competitor, definitely doesn't
Lack any physicality, just needs a little
More time to fully mature

OK. So he's more a mobile ruck than a monster like Soldo. So perhaps a taller, more mobile version of Nank? I hope so cause he'd be close tot eh best in the AFL if he developed that way.

Anyway, thanks guys. It's hard to get a picture when you're at a distance.

The raves for CCJ are pretty high. Hope he lives up to your optimism.

Might surprise some to know that CCJ is 102 kg and is actually a couple of kg heavier than Grundy.

That's a fair chunk of a lad for a 20 year old.

Still a fair bit away from the really big lads but he's at a comparable size to most rucks.

This is the best ruck order according to the player ratings:

Gawn 208cm 109kg
Grundy 203cm 100kg
Goldstein 201cm 103kg
McEvoy 200cm 102kg
Martin 199cm 104kg
Ryder 197cm 94kg
Witts 209cm 111kg
Lycett 203cm 98kg
Nankervis 199cm 102kg
Bellchambers 202cm 108kg
Stanley 200cm 102kg
Lobb 206cm 106kg
Hickey 201cm 96kg
Marshall 201cm 104kg
Jacobs 200cm 102kg
Sinclair 200cm 96kg
Kreuzer 200cm 101kg
English 205cm 93kg
Simpson 210cm 110kg

Ours:
Coleman-Jones 200cm 102kg
Soldo 204cm 106kg
Chol 200cm 91kg
Nank 199cm 102kg

Last edited:
Except that Grundy is not a good mark, especially in a pack.

its not his best asset but wouldnt say he is necessarily bad at it

its not his best asset but wouldnt say he is necessarily bad at it
Never seems to leave the ground. Most of his marks are from hard running to get into good position, although he did improve a bit this season. CCJ has got bucket hands and times his leap, as has been pointed out, like McEvoy.

Might surprise some to know that CCJ is 102 kg and is actually a couple of kg heavier than Grundy.

That's a fair chunk of a lad for a 20 year old.

Still a fair bit away from the really big lads but he's at a comparable size to most rucks.

This is the best ruck order according to the player ratings:

Gawn 208cm 109kg
Grundy 203cm 100kg
Goldstein 201cm 103kg
McEvoy 200cm 102kg
Martin 199cm 104kg
Ryder 197cm 94kg
Witts 209cm 111kg
Lycett 203cm 98kg
Nankervis 199cm 102kg
Bellchambers 202cm 108kg
Stanley 200cm 102kg
Lobb 206cm 106kg
Hickey 201cm 96kg
Marshall 201cm 104kg
Jacobs 200cm 102kg
Sinclair 200cm 96kg
Kreuzer 200cm 101kg
English 205cm 93kg
Simpson 210cm 110kg

Coleman-Jones 200cm 102kg
Soldo 204cm 106kg
Chol 200cm 91kg
Nank 199cm 102kg
Just saw him walk past me in Hawthorn popping in to TLA upstairs where I work, he is a big lad, good size about him......

Just saw him walk past me in Hawthorn popping in to TLA upstairs where I work, he is a big lad, good size about him......

not bheeeddddd, good shiizzzeeee

Looking at the way he rucks/plays in the VFL reminds me more of a young Ben McEvoy but tckles more and has a bit more around the ground

McEvoy /Goldstein mix

I dont really see the Grundy comparison that much (i wish he does become a grundy like ruck)

The thing that i would really like to know is exactly what is CJ's real height
He was listed as 201cm at the combine and there are various articles that have him around the 203cm height
He was also a june baby and had just turned 18 when drafted and boys usually grow 2-3 cm until they are 21/22

tom de koning was listed as 200cm at draft time and is 203cm now
Tim Englis 202.8 is now 205
Nic Nat 199cm is now 201cm
Max gawn 206cm is now 208

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to the Talking Tigers podcast and they were saying how CCJ helped us get control in the air and played a big part in us getting the game on our terms in the last quarter, but they said at 3/4 time that CCJ went up to the coaches and asked to be put in the fwd line and said he'd take care of it or something to that effect.

Not gonna lie, might have given me a semi to hear that.

How's the leadership and attitude of this kid. Absolutely sensational. Can't wait till he's getting regular games in the seniors, all signs point to us having nabbed one here.

Really like the look of him, he can really clunk them which is what you want from a big man and he actually moves pretty well. Not extremely agile like a NicNat, but better than a Soldo or Nank.

I'd love to see him in the AFL in 2020, reckon he'll be ready for some games after another preseason.

Really like the look of him, he can really clunk them which is what you want from a big man and he actually moves pretty well. Not extremely agile like a NicNat, but better than a Soldo or Nank.

I'd love to see him in the AFL in 2020, reckon he'll be ready for some games after another preseason.
Needs to get stronger in the legs because he gets moved aside by big rucks easily. Great upper body. Another preseason should fix that a bit, because he will be eyeing either Nank's or Soldo's spot next year.

Needs to get stronger in the legs because he gets moved aside by big rucks easily. Great upper body. Another preseason should fix that a bit, because he will be eyeing either Nank's or Soldo's spot next year.
Nahhh more chance with JR's i reckon!

A guy I know who knows a guy that knows a guy (just kidding) at the club said the club said the club absolutely rates him and think he could be one of the dominant rucks in the comp once he's got 50-100 games under his belt.

Having watched him in the twos this year, the improvement from last year is near vertical. Sky's the limit with him, we have some great kids coming through.

I was going to post similar - he looks like a big boy especially upper body but needs to work on his core strength which will come naturally as hes still young. Got great hands, clunks 3 or 4 big contested marks most weeks in the VFL. Good thing is he looks a legitimate option forward as well so would work well with another ruckman, just needs to work on his set shots bc he misses a few. All in all Im pretty excited - big prospect

We’ve done great work adding bulk to him slowly, and manage his game time to prevent injuries. Vastly different to the Tigers of old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I remember the club talking about this, they were resting him every x amount of games so as to manage the workload while his body developed

the big q is how are we going to fit this kid in next year, he is more a mark than a ruckman and not unlike lynch. jack him and lynch in the forward line?
He will be our no.1 ruck down the track, so another pre season should see him coming in to replace either Soldo or Nank as our second ruck. The way Soldo has improved I reckon Nank is in the firing line. CCJ gets good possession numbers as well as a good mark, and can play forward as you say, so he will be a good inclusion next year or he year after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back