Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Hows the hate in here hahah
Blokes played under ten games and plays one game injured and hes already a ‘slow potato.’
Get a grip hes showed heaps this year and we’d be dumb to let him walk and keep ball watcher chol.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Keep one of CJ and Chol. Probably Chol cos he'd be cheaper. And next year would be ruck depth. KPF depth
Chol 10 x worse. CCJ has a heart. I reckon we should develop his ruck work in the 2's though.

daird

All Australian
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Blokes played under ten games and plays one game injured and hes already a ‘slow potato.’
Get a grip hes showed heaps this year and we’d be dumb to let him walk and keep ball watcher chol.
Yep, 2 weeks ago everyone said we shouldn't accept anything less than Pick 5 for him. Now he's useless after one bad/injured game.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league

No idea they got least of our problems shouldn't have played yesterday.

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
Yep, 2 weeks ago everyone said we shouldn't accept anything less than Pick 5 for him. Now he's useless after one bad/injured game.
Our first rounder and CCJ for Casboult, it seems.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
I felt watching him play on Thu night it was probably one of the worst games I've seen by a Richmond player in a long time. Ryan was unsighted so doesn't count.

Every player on Thu except a few were ordinary, and CCJ at least tried I guess, but wow, I actually considered he wasn't injured at all, but Dimma tapped him on the shoulder at HT and said, sit out the 2nd half eh!

Miller must be wondering how he can possibly get a game.

Once he gets back from the calf.. VFL for the rest of season imo

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Chol 10 x worse. CCJ has a heart. I reckon we should develop his ruck work in the 2's though.
Just moneyballing. We have seen the best and worst of CJ. But the worst of it showed what a fwd line looks like with 2 X 200cm players. It looked like he caught the Richmond disease of not being able to hold a mark. With an aging star JR. I think a mobile JR height player is more important.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
I felt watching him play on Thu night it was probably one of the worst games I've seen by a Richmond player in a long time. Ryan was unsighted so doesn't count.

Every player on Thu except a few were ordinary, and CCJ at least tried I guess, but wow, I actually considered he wasn't injured at all, but Dimma tapped him on the shoulder at HT and said, sit out the 2nd half eh!

Miller must be wondering how he can possibly get a game.

Once he gets back from the calf.. VFL for the rest of season imo
So CJ wasn't injured?

fu** that pisses me off. Why play a bloke (especially a kid who is trying to establish himself in the side) when they're underdone. We could've played Miller instead, got the extra height we needed down back and got him to give Chol a chop out in the ruck.
Sound silly but I wonder if Dimma put himself into a corner when he said a few weeks ago that he will play CCJ, Jack and Lynch all together

If he didn’t include CCJ in the side the media would of ran with the story that Dimma went against his word and whatever other bullshit they would of come up with

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
ya never know with dimma. faking injury to get a player off the ground. a la vlas.... but if CJ can't get back on the field for a while, who comes in for him? and what sort of contract does he get offered?
It's not like he has done much to be missed. Nank can't be too far off? I'd be trading and trying for a 2nd rounder. If we keep, it'll be low offer to keep him around because other interest is not there. It seems obvious ruck is not a position he can play. So he a forward only. Slow and clumsy. Casboult type perhaps

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Just moneyballing. We have seen the best and worst of CJ. But the worst of it showed what a fwd line looks like with 2 X 200cm players. It looked like he caught the Richmond disease of not being able to hold a mark. With an aging star JR. I think a mobile JR height player is more important.
How have we already seen the best from a 200cm player in six games of AFL?

I haven't read this thread for a couple of weeks and some of the comments are absolutely mind boggling, in a season that's yet to see a lot of players perform on previous seasons I've really enjoyed watching CCJ work his way into the twenty two.

For those posters suggesting we look to trade him, I'd love to know who you'd expect us to play with Tom Lynch if Riewoldt retires in twelve months time?

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond

I haven't read this thread for a couple of weeks and some of the comments are absolutely mind boggling, in a season that's yet to see a lot of players perform on previous seasons I've really enjoyed watching CCJ work his way into the twenty two.

For those posters suggesting we look to trade him, I'd love to know who you'd expect us to play with Tom Lynch if Riewoldt retires in twelve months time?
Another way to phrase the situation is though, how confident are you of him becoming a Darling or Naughton level since there is even less chance of him becoming a ruckman. We go on what we see and predict what he will become. As always on here it's possible to go back and say "I told everyone 3 years ago ....". We get some wrong and some right.

I'll just say many on here were attacking others on making judgements on 'never going to make it key forwards' that have been on the list. It seems to be based on 'never attack your own' and optimism. That's fine. My call is based on what I see now and what I think he can develop into. I see a C+ type player in 3 years when he should at the top of his game. Maybe we can revist in 2024. He'll either be tearing games apart for Richmond or another team, a C grader still getting AFL games, or over in the SANFL with free kebabs after the games.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers

CJ has produced that wonderful 4 goal/5 mark game. When he played instead of Lynch. But Lynch coming to the club in 2019 changed KPF player dynamics dramatically & squeezed CJ of opportunity. Then CJ's covid suspension seemed never ending. Like Round 9 1/2. Plays 5 and then gets injured. Out for who knows how long.
Lynch isn't into ruck work & CJ ain't great at it. If there was a Jesse Hogan type available I'd consider it. (Riccardi?) Or keep JR on for another year. Or use an early pick on a KPF. I think CJ might get offers we can't match so I'd be prepared to keep Chol as he'd probably be prepared to hang around Punt Rd play his 10~12 games pinch hitting at KPF or in the ruck. For less than CJ.

panatha1908

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I think CCJ looks good, but i dont think he can play in the same team as Lynch, and he cant wait 4 years for Lynch to retire, so may be best he goes somewhere that needs him and we get a good draft pick (to be used or swapped for someone in a position we need).

TigersRoar

Rookie
Sep 27, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Trust in the club. I'd prefer to keep him as we're pretty light on in the key forward department. But a decent pick coming our way, I can't see it hurting us to the point of a wooden spoon if he leaves. Might bring back a bit more of a chaos style game play where we shank our kicks a bit to get the small forwards involved again circa '17.

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Mmm...dunno...I think he is too big, nowhere near mobile enough, he makes Lynch look like Bolton. If CCJ is in the fwd line and the ball hits the deck it is 5 V 6, he offers nothing defensively.
Generally try not to make negative comment on young players especially the talls who generally take longer.
Will say though and i have said it before i would prefer we developed him as a ruckman as i fear his pace agility athleticism could hold him back as a forward.

If he could clunk marks around the ground and up the line as an outlet and hold his own in the ruck then i think he would be a valuable aquisition.
People should not complain about his ruck work atm because i dont believe we have played him there much at all even in the magoos.

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Gotta cringe every time someone describes an assesment on players attributes as hate.
People have spoken about his pace and agility ever since he was drafted.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
I think we should trade CJ. He's at an awkward stage of his career where he needs an opportunity to grow into his role. With Lynch and Jack likely to remain as our two tall forwards for another few years, I think it is unlikely CJ would be happy to remain a backup to these two for that time period. I think its better to allow him to continue his career elsewhere and get a second rounder for him that we can at least use to perhaps upgrade our current first round picks.

What we should be doing is looking at a tall forward that will hit his prime when Jack retires either through an early draft pick or a trade. The problem is, keeping or attracting a tall forward to the club at the moment, when we don't have a spot for them. We're a victim of our own success here unfortunately

Back