Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I think more so it has just shown that going into the season with no mature age genuine back-up ruckman was dumb as dogshit. Club really has no one else to blame for the problem we found ourselves in. People tried to tell me CCJ was the back up - he wasn't. I preached this all through the pre-season trade period - we needed another backup ruckman desperately. It very well cost us a spot in the finals
The mistake was probably not playing a second ruckman with Nank from the start of the year. Last week with Chol he only played 70% game time, we should have been doing that all year with Soldo not available

The mistake was probably not playing a second ruckman with Nank from the start of the year. Last week with Chol he only played 70% game time, we should have been doing that all year with Soldo not available

What is more relevant is Chol's ability to play on a half forward flank. We will know more in coming weeks.

Chol can't replace JR and Lynch but can he position as a high forward 3rd wheel while also going in the ruck?

Last edited:

Probably safer to say they made 2 mistakes

Bit deceiving there mate .... it was written in April 2021 - 6 months after the trade period. It also states that some teams are prepared to offer that THIS YEAR, not last. It also doesn't state anywhere that GWS offered a first rounder last year - it doesn't even state that GWS offered anything for him specifically last year - just that they had tried to lure him in recent years.

During the trade period of 2020, there is zero reports of this, which makes me question its legitimacy. Its also coming from Fox News which i rate slightly behind 2 ply toilet paper for substance, especially when in the title of the article, they literally misspell "circle" & then misspell "Timber"

Full report below with link

RIVAL CLUBS CIRLCE TIGER CUB

Richmond young tall Callum Coleman-Jones is reportedly set to be a figure of interest in the coming off-season, as clubs look to adapt to a lack of tall prospects in this year’s national draft.

Jones, taken with pick 20 in the 2017 draft, has managed only one game at senior level given the form the side’s tall timbre has been in across its premiership run, and is yet to be signed beyond 2021.

Additionally, the 21-year-old had been serving a 10-game AFL suspension for his COVID-19 rules breach during his side’s time in the Queensland hub last year.

The Herald Sun reports rival clubs are keeping an eye on Coleman-Jones, with Greater Western Sydney having already attempted to lure him out of Tigerland in recent years.

Some clubs are prepared to offer up late first-round selections in a bid to secure his services, the report details.

Was posted here on 1 of the threads about GWS offering their 1st rounder last year and we knocked it back and how they would have another go this year
was 1 of the main reporters so im sure wont be difficult to find if you really looked.

But even 6 months after if thats still being mentioned you would think the rumors are still there and now with GC and maybe other clubs in the picture and having seen his performance their would be significant interest

For a late first rounder, I'd trade out CJ. I think he'd spend the next few years playing the majority of his time in the VFL with the odd senior game here and there. I'd rather groom a youngster to eventually step into the Key Forward position or trade someone in. There is no assurance that Cj will make it and no guarantee that he won't run off the rails either.

He just stays... He offers more than Chol because he can play role under numerous circumstances.

Chol was great last week, don't get me wrong, but he needs that scenario to play well...

He needs Nank (or Someone) to shoulder the bulk of the work against the oppos best ruck
He needs to be the THIRD tall forward to get the third best tall defender to hit the scoreboard regularly...

He has shown time and time again, if he doesn't get BOTH of these, he doesn't hold up when it matters...

CCJ on the other hand isn't scared of the physicality of the oppos best ruckman
He has proven he can play the second tall and hit the scoreboard against the second best defender.

He's not as athletic as Chol, he doesn't play as 'Pretty' as Chol, but I know which brand will stand up in the worst circumstances rather than just judge them on their best.

Was posted here on 1 of the threads about GWS offering their 1st rounder last year and we knocked it back and how they would have another go this year
was 1 of the main reporters so im sure wont be difficult to find if you really looked.

But even 6 months after if thats still being mentioned you would think the rumors are still there and now with GC and maybe other clubs in the picture and having seen his performance their would be significant interest

I was here almost full time last pre-season and i really don't remember GWS offering anything for him, especially a first rounder. I am not saying there are not clubs interested in him, but i strongly doubt anyone was offering a first rounder for him on a 10 match suspension for breaking state hub laws. His value was at an all time low after the hub debacle. I remember dreamers saying that we should trade him for a first rounder - but most of the older heads here laughed it off & said ya dreaming.

If the club did get offered a first rounder from GWS - which would have been 12 or 15 and knocked it back.... wtf were they thinking?

They took Higgins at pick 17 in the 2017 draft, gave him 50 times - then traded him + pick 21 for a pick 17 & a future 2nd..... but then knocked back a trade for a straight swap of 12 or 15 to the guy they took pick 20 in 2017 & only given 1 game for? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

For a late first rounder, I'd trade out CJ. I think he'd spend the next few years playing the majority of his time in the VFL with the odd senior game here and there. I'd rather groom a youngster to eventually step into the Key Forward position or trade someone in. There is no assurance that Cj will make it and no guarantee that he won't run off the rails either.

we can't get a forward, our midfield and defence needs to much attention

Not sure we will get that choice if Cj wants to go there really
GWS 1st round pick will be similar to our 1st pick and if we could somehow manage to get the doggies 1st rounder with our later picks we could end up with 4 picks inside 20

Thats would be some significant talent coming into the club
What have I missed why would we have dogs r1 , or you surmising they will cash it for later pics re Darcy

He just stays... He offers more than Chol because he can play role under numerous circumstances.

Chol was great last week, don't get me wrong, but he needs that scenario to play well...

He needs Nank (or Someone) to shoulder the bulk of the work against the oppos best ruck
He needs to be the THIRD tall forward to get the third best tall defender to hit the scoreboard regularly...

He has shown time and time again, if he doesn't get BOTH of these, he doesn't hold up when it matters...

CCJ on the other hand isn't scared of the physicality of the oppos best ruckman
He has proven he can play the second tall and hit the scoreboard against the second best defender.

He's not as athletic as Chol, he doesn't play as 'Pretty' as Chol, but I know which brand will stand up in the worst circumstances rather than just judge them on their best.

The other thing is JR and Lynch where also drawing attention(JR six goals to) and Brisbane was missing Adams and Gardiner. Still Chol is a left footer and on a forwrd flank could it work for him?

Why? He's got his cousin Marić and the club, one of his best mate in Balta and now Čolina is joining them - good luck getting him out of Richmond.

CCJ will be the one who's looking elsewhere whether we like it or not.
“Good luck getting him out of Richmond”

Why would anyone be trying to get him out? All I said was if I was him I’d be looking. We have a stack of rucks at the moment. Not all front liners and not all ready yet but there’s a lot competition; he’s good enough to be solo ruck somewhere. He may not get the chance with us, but I’d love him to stay.

I’m a big fan.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i am neither here nor there about keeping CCJ. I think he’s an excellent mark and mobile enough, but nowhere near as mobile as Chol.
My concern with CCJ is he’s not looking like a great ruckman at this point. Gets beaten in Centre bounces, throw ins and like Chol, is too easily outbodied in marking contests when one out deep forward. Chol even impresses me more with ruck taps to advantage.
Those opinions are from watching him closely on tv. He may well develop further and improve markedly in those areas but I’m not fully convinced of that.

I was here almost full time last pre-season and i really don't remember GWS offering anything for him, especially a first rounder. I am not saying there are not clubs interested in him, but i strongly doubt anyone was offering a first rounder for him on a 10 match suspension for breaking state hub laws. His value was at an all time low after the hub debacle. I remember dreamers saying that we should trade him for a first rounder - but most of the older heads here laughed it off & said ya dreaming.

If the club did get offered a first rounder from GWS - which would have been 12 or 15 and knocked it back.... wtf were they thinking?

They took Higgins at pick 17 in the 2017 draft, gave him 50 times - then traded him + pick 21 for a pick 17 & a future 2nd..... but then knocked back a trade for a straight swap of 12 or 15 to the guy they took pick 20 in 2017 & only given 1 game for? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Came out in the wash earlier this year
Richmond refused to take offers and wanted to keep Cj

isnt this going to be a crap draft now from all accounts?
rather keep both cholly and ccj than have to develop another kid.
we have plenty of picks, id rather keep ccj with our development under his belt.

same reporters that mention all trades
think there was substance to it personally
Time will tell

Based on what you are saying GWS offered us pick 12 or 15 for CCJ last year - if we get anything less than that this year then we will know its not true as his value is most definitely higher after 2021, as he has more form to show & is no longer suspended for 10 weeks. Based on this report, it would mean we are going to get a top 10 pick for CCJ

Time will tell

Based on what you are saying GWS offered us pick 12 or 15 for CCJ last year - if we get anything less than that this year then we will know its not true as his value is most definitely higher after 2021, as he has more form to show & is no longer suspended for 10 weeks. Based on this report, it would mean we are going to get a top 10 pick for CCJ
No club will give a first rounder. For CCJ. WAKE UP YOURE DREAMING!

Time will tell

Its not me saying this it was reported in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back