Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm Chol is neither a front line ruckman or front line key forward. When hes played as a key forward and had strong match ups hes has been killed and the same goes for when he is rucking.

CC-J has not shown a lot as a ruckman mainly because he has not been played there much even in the magoos. So for me the question is will he become a top line key forward and i have my doubts . The one thing that may save him as a key fwd is his hands, he is a very strong mark. Personally i see a bit of Sam Jacobs about him and if persevered with in the ruck could become a very good ruckman. I also think theres plenty of room for improvement with him especially with size and core strength a bit of work on his agility and pace would also see improvement.

The both of them seem to be okay at both roles atm ruck and fwd but dominant at neither. Chol plays the ruck role better which aint saying much and CC-J'S hands see him as a bigger danger up fwd.

If Nankervis goes down mate Soldo when fit will take over and likely dominate most ruck contests.

We have those four and we have two other genuine ruckmen in Colina a whopping 213cm who is very much a project player in the mould of Soldo. Samson Ryan is a 206cm skinny 20yo who shows heaps of promise. Both will take a bit of time Ryans hands look great already.

Finally there is no way we can play all four of Soldo Nankervis Chol and CC-J. Two will miss out nearly every week hence we have a situation of Chol and CC-J BEING SPOKEN ABOUT AS TRADES. We certainly cannot justify keeping what is primarily six ruckmen on the list as it robs us for numbers in other areas.

Im happy to lose one of Chol or CC-J and with whatever we get for them lump it up with whats needed to get a High quality GENUINE KPF in the draft or in a trade.
It is paramount we target a quality key forward with Lynch approaching 30 and JR turning 33 soon.
Take them both off the list and ask yourself where is the genuine high quality kpf coming thru and please dont say Chol or CC-J.

Balta, thats why we need to fix up our defense.

If we get Lukosious he can go forward to.

I said it before Chol is not a key post forward, to make it he needs to play half forward flank and succeed there

CCJ looks to me to be too big at the moment. I remember a few years ago when Jack was told to put on weight to play that bullocking full forward role but he lost all his mobility. CCJ seems to be the same.

I saw a little of Sean Darcy on the weekend on TV. I know he is taller and bigger but is there a resemblence to CCJ?

Last edited:
We need to resist the urge to go the quick fix
Sydney , Essenedon have this year shown new draftee's to be capable of making a difference
Port have also done the same with the 3-4 kids the brought to the club to rejuvinate

I say we take 4 picks inside 30 and bring in 1-2 players like Narkle & Lepinski type's
Richmond's biggest problem is winning the ball inside the midfield and foward entries

Start of 2022 we will have all our players back rested and recovered with a good pre season
we will be ready to go and have 4 young fresh draftee's to continue our list build

I saw a little of Sean Darcy on the weekend on TV. I know he is taller and bigger but is there a resemblence to CCJ?
Darcy is a dead-set monster. CCJ's actually got some agility to him and can float into packs if he's in the right spot, quite lanky as well. Darcy is a bit more a rock - breaks packs and waves of players fall off him.

Lynch is not so much nimble, although he has a reasonable side step, but when he plays his best footy he is leading up the ground. Still dangerous up forward if the ball is coming in well, which isn't often...

CCJ has to increase his flexibility as a forward. Not seen a lot to show me he is much chop off the ground, but neither did Stewie Loewe. But stay at home full forwards unless they are very quick and agile like the King boys struggle. Lynch when he hasn't moved around hasn't been much chop this season, and Lynch would probably be the best 200cm forward of the last decade.

We have nobody other than Balta who can take Jack's place, a mobile forward. Chol is so hot and cold. So if CCJ wants to play, he needs to add more stings to his bow.
Would luv too see Miller before seasons end and perform adequately.
I think Balta is wasted down back.
Prefer us to win games.Not defend them.

Darcy is a dead-set monster. CCJ's actually got some agility to him and can float into packs if he's in the right spot, quite lanky as well. Darcy is a bit more a rock - breaks packs and waves of players fall off him.

I know, but do you think there is a little similarity in how they move? I just think its a little early to discard CCJ and he has shown a bit forward.

CCJ is more lanky but he looks as though he has a bit of strength in the thighs.

If CCJ got the middle age spread would he go more like Darcy despite being slightly shorter?

I actually like that but it still leaves the problem of JR's career coming to an end and no games for CC-J. Arent they in the process of signing JR for next year?
It is also not ideal that Lynch is also 30 next year we really should have been developing a couple of GENUINE key fwds for the last three or four seasons.
Ihave to reiterate i don't consider Chol in particular a key fwd and im really concerned CC-J is a for want of a better word a bitsa. Abit of ruck man a bit of fwd but not top end at either.I think his best chance is as a Ruckman.
It also leaves the backline bereft of any player of decent size and quality if Astbury retires. Taking Balta out of the backline really is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

What it does show is just how bereft we are for key defenders and key forwards actually coming thru or at varying stages of development and just how much work will be required when the retirements do happen.

As it stands and regardless of where we play Balta moving fwd we really need a quality KPD and its ditto for a KPF. Thats not to mention other obvious holes in the list.
We need to draft either a gun key back or key forward, because besides Miller we do not actually have either other than what we have already seen. Reckon really good discarded forwards are harder to find that discarded key backs. But we need to go to the draft for both I reckon. I think Balta might be more damaging as a forward than a back, and forwards are more important. Also get some games into Miller and see how he looks.

CCJ if he is going to make it will make it next year after a big preseason.

I know, but do you think there is a little similarity in how they move? I just think its a little early to discard CCJ and he has shown a bit forward.

CCJ is more lanky but he looks as though he has a bit of strength in the thighs.

If CCJ got the middle age spread would he go more like Darcy despite being slightly shorter?
reckon darcy is a more ball-dominant ruck with good ruckcraft as well, like a fatter less mobile grundy but still able to dominate. don't know if CCj has the conditioning at this point to get there but you never know

I would honestly trade CCJ whilst he has currency. I don't see him ever getting much better and right now he is just OK.

Would trade him to GWS for Tom Green in a heartbeat, as the midfield is currently our biggest deficiency.

Back in Nankervis and Soldo with Chol and Ryan as backups, and maybe draft in another ruckman as insurance. Possibly Vardy from WCE on the cheap.

I'd love to somehow pry Ballard out of GCS too.

Broad, Balta, Ballard
Vlastuin, Grimes, Short
McIntosh, Cotchin, Lambert
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
Rioli, Lynch, Rioli
Nankervis, Prestia, Green
Soldo, Edwards, Graham, Baker

reckon darcy is a more ball-dominant ruck with good ruckcraft as well, like a fatter less mobile grundy but still able to dominate. don't know if CCj has the conditioning at this point to get there but you never know

I brought Darcy into my fantasy in recent weeks so I am looking closer at him. I think he is underrated and uses his mass and mobility to ruck and contest competitively.

I am not saying CCJ can be Darcy but there could be some lineage there

I brought Darcy into my fantasy in recent weeks so I am looking closer at him. I think he is underrated and uses his mass and mobility to ruck and contest competitively.

I am not saying CCJ can be Darcy but there could be some lineage there
i *ing hope so! darcy is a jet, good get for your fantasy team

I would honestly trade CCJ whilst he has currency. I don't see him ever getting much better and right now he is just OK.

Would trade him to GWS for Tom Green in a heartbeat, as the midfield is currently our biggest deficiency.

Back in Nankervis and Soldo with Chol and Ryan as backups, and maybe draft in another ruckman as insurance. Possibly Vardy from WCE on the cheap.

I'd love to somehow pry Ballard out of GCS too.

Broad, Balta, Ballard
Vlastuin, Grimes, Short
McIntosh, Cotchin, Lambert
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
Rioli, Lynch, Rioli
Nankervis, Prestia, Green
Soldo, Edwards, Graham, Baker

Respectfully disagree about CCJ.
Has shown a fair bit of talent already.
Good hands, makes good position and nice kick.
I can't see why he wouldn't improve with more game time.
However, I agree he has useful trade currency at time when we have his position covered.
If we shook the tree, who would fall out?
North might be very keen.
They need a good second tall/ruck forward.
And he's in their ideal age range.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS are not giving us Green for CCJ, he would cost way more than that. In fact I doubt we have any chance of getting Green before he becomes a FA as his price keeps going up.

Agree, unfortunate but reality, some are talking of him winning the rising star and he is invested there from Canberra

He was awesome yesterday, honestly if I was GWS I would be asking for Shai Bolton in a direct swap (now they could prob never afford Shai) but we aren't getting him cheap that's for sure.

Last edited:
Were is CJ,
Is he inured
Is he gone and the club no it??
injured then didnt get to play VFL as he was an emergency for the team over in Perth.
Id be shocked if he didnt get the nod ahead of Chol this week, if he doesnt play then id say hes gone sadly.
If nanks hurt as well then should play as the second ruck behind Chol.
This week just confirmed what ive been saying all year, CCJ's signature is important to our future.
Lynch and Jack both slowing down and chol is rubbish, need to put a big offer in front of him.

How many of kids that have done an ACL before being drafted in the early rounds have made it ?
The strike rate has been poor .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Im not sure what the difference would be if you did it as a 17 year old or 21 year old

Hollands is a bull and is the type we need both mid and foward
190-cm 88 kgs pick #7 touted as a pick 1 prior to injury

Im jumping at that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back