Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL changed the rules this year. On draft night you can only hold as many picks as you have list spots.
5 spots becomes 3 if we bring in Talia and Narkle. Therefore we can only hold onto 3 live picks this year. Unless we trade Caddy but that brings in more picks. Which either means we trade with WB for their first and give them points for the Darcy bid or we trade out into next years draft or both
We can take 2 extra picks for trading purposes, if we don’t trade them we lose them

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
He played 8 games
injured for 2 games
suspended for 7 games (could be wrong with the number)

looks like the club gave him a decent run
Brings back memories of back round 5 but not many knew what round five looked like :'( :p :drunk:

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Hope he stays, but worth reflecting on attitudes by some here towards stack compared with ccj. Stack admittedly cocked up again, but went from spending weeks in Jail (after the death of a close relative) to working his arse off and cementing his spot as one of our best players over the back end of the season. Meanwhile CCJ appears to be packing his bags after a full pre-season and barely a fraction of the vitriol that stack got.

CCJ is not staying or going because of how sweet we were to him after "kebab-gate". he is leaving because there is no clear role for him in 2022 and he is sick of waiting in the corner like that chick from Dirty Dancing. This is the cost of "1 more year" of Jack unfortunately - I said EXACTLY this much the second JR was re-signed..." say bye bye to CCJ",.

To be this successful and "well placed", but still be losing players & staff we ideally want to retain is very disappointing. We are putting an awful lot of pressure on getting this draft perfect - and considering we are choosing on limited intel due to 2 years of Covid lockdowns, its a bloody big risk.

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Has Carolyn even played football? At least Daisy has played football.

If I wanted a politician I would watch Question Time.
I understand she is part of the system but I am not interested in the system

Ha,didn't stop Trump becoming President - which is a slightly more demanding role than footy jorno.

"Experience" is a thing of the past, apparently

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
If he rejected he has not nominated. We will get more than we think as North and GC will bid against each other with a late KPP suitor like GWS for a quicker finals play.
That only works in American sports where players are commodities.
Unless he specifically wants to uproot his life and move to the GC, there will be no bidding war. That's a big change for a young man.
Most of the time by the time trade week hits CCJ will have nominated a club or at the very least nominated a preference to stay in VIC. And if he does, given we can't just send them where we want, there's not much we can do given NM hold PSD pick 1.

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
If North offer #38 just let him walk to PSD

38 is a nothing pick
David Astbury #35
Jack Ross #43
Bachar Houli #42 (Ess)
Toby Nankervis #35 (Syd)
Jack Graham #53
Nathan Broad #67
Hugo Ralphsmith #46

Grimes, Baker, Short, Soldo, Lambert & Stack all Rookies, PSD or Cat B.

Glad our recruiters don't have your mindset.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I predict the very worst we’d get would be
CCJ + 24/28
20 + 38
Other option might be future r2
It won’t go to psd that only relevant for homesick punks leaving new franchises that can be walked all over , not leaving the biggest club in town , he still has to live here , he’ll act with the same decency we showed him when we rapt our arms around him rather than sack him following the 10w suspension

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
David Astbury #35
Jack Ross #43
Bachar Houli #42 (Ess)
Toby Nankervis #35 (Syd)
Jack Graham #53
Nathan Broad #67
Hugo Ralphsmith #46

Grimes, Baker, Short, Soldo, Lambert & Stack all Rookies, PSD or Cat B.

Glad our recruiters don't have your mindset.

38 could be valuable collateral for Footscrays 1st. Not that I'd take 38 happily. It would be a bridge burning moment and I'd hope the club would pay them back in spades sometime in the future.

It would be the worst possible outcome if he wanted to head to us (for Richmond). Not that we would screw Richmond, but you kind of lose the bargaining chips you normally have if the opposition has the PSD option.

I'd prefer we screw GWS or GC who get a ton of academy pick handouts they don't deserve.

Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
i've accepted the fact he is gone. What I will NOT accept is unders for him. He's a late first rounder developing tall key position. They don't grow on trees, with the right development behind him, he could explode. Hope we play this one hard as we are notoriously known for receiving close to nothing for good youngsters.

i've accepted the fact he is gone. What I will NOT accept is unders for him. He's a late first rounder developing tall key position. They don't grow on trees, with the right development behind him, he could explode. Hope we play this one hard as we are notoriously known for receiving close to nothing for good youngsters.

I thought he was pretty good this year, was clunking a lot of marks. Why would Richmond only offer him 2 years? I know he is behind some other players but they are also a lot older.

Ccj and chol both out in the same year.
Jack probably retiring next year.
Strewth

Yeah, lot of tall talent out the door in a flood possibly.

CCJ and Chol both have talent. Could look bad in a few years. But if Jack can keep keeping on like he has this year we have some time on our hands.

Back